is a British actor and comedian who has had breakout success in a wide range of movies.
He began as a TV actor and gained success for Spaced
, which he co-wrote with Jessica Hynes
. He later collaborated with Spaced
helmer Edgar Wright
and actor Nick Frost on both Shaun of the Dead
and Hot Fuzz
. Since then, Pegg has starred in a few films and was cast as Scotty in J. J. Abrams
of Star Trek
Pegg is known for his quick-witted and sarcastic characters, and for often playing a slacker. He's quickly become a poster boy for nerd culture for many minor projects like a one-episode role in Doctor Who
and his two-man re-enactment of Star Wars episode IV
This actor provides examples of:
- Ascended Fanboy: His role in Star Trek.
- On his sudden fame after Shaun of the Dead: "Well, it's not like I'm going to go do Mission: Impossible III!"
- Voicing Johnny Alpha on the Big Finish audio adaptations.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Nick Frost. They have become such a great comedy duo that they are now working on non-Wright projects like Paul.
- One of Us: Goes without saying; look at his list of credits, side projects and header image.
- Playing Against Type: Played with in Hot Fuzz, where Pegg is much more of a straight man than his normal persona.
- In Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, his comic lab-rat role in the previous film is upgraded to being in the field with the rest of the IMF team on the run, meaning he gets in on the gun-wielding action and even gets to pull the badass-with-sunglasses pose on the main poster alongside the more imposing Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner. He does opt out of helping Ethan Hunt with a physically demanding task at one point, quipping, "I'm on the computer."
- Took a Level in Badass: Went from playing a Comic book artist to an action hero and is awesome at both.
- What Could Have Been: Reportedly, he was supposed to play Rose Tyler's dad, but scheduling got in the way, and he ended up playing the Editor of Satellite Five instead.