While many characters have a Catch Phrase
, it's difficult for a monster, animal, or other kind of non-intelligible creature to have one. As such, they'll often have a recurring noise they make that serves as their calling card: a signature roar.
This is not just a roar that a monster happens to make; it is unique to that creature, or in the very least hearing it will instantly remind one of it, thus making it Recognizable By Sound
A Signature Roar is usually a result of a Roar Before Beating
. Compare Hell Is That Noise
, Signature Sound Effect
and Mighty Roar
Anime & Manga
- Tarzan's yell qualifies, as despite being a human, he's known for his famous jungle cry.
- Aslan was known for his signature roar.
- Shadow ships in Babylon 5 have a high-pitched inhuman screech as their signature sound.
- The cat in MTM Productions Vanity Plate is a parody of the MGM lion.
- The Prisoner. Rover (the giant white bouncing ball) has a horrible roar that it uses when pursuing a victim. Listen to it here.
- Many animals have a distinctive roar that is impossible to mistake for anything else, such as lions, elephants, bears, and so on. It would probably be easier to list animals that don't have a unique roar.