Principal Skinner: Over here, Simpson! The detention room is dangerously overcrowded so you'll be spending your time in the cafeteria.
Student: Oxygen running out...
Principal Skinner: Yes, you should have thought of that before you made that paper airplane.So a particular situation, severe or trivial, could whether rightly or wrongly be perceived as character A's fault, by character A or by another character, based on point [X]. Cue a Stock Phrase of one of two forms: "I should have thought of that before [X]." if said by character A. OR "You should have thought of that before [X]." if said by another character. Compare to Didn't Think This Through.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: During the Battle City arc, Insector Haiga convinces a kid (who he later double-crosses) to sabotage Jonouchi's deck before dueling him, giving Haiga a pretty serious advantage. Jonouchi manages to win anyway, and when he demands Haiga's two locator cards and Insect Queen card, Haiga suddenly decides to plead for mercy. Jonouchi's reply is pretty much, "you should have thought of that before cheating, stupid."
Films — Animated
- The Emperor's New Groove
Yzma: It is no concern of mine whether or not your family has...what was it again?Peasant: Umm...food?Yzma: Ha! You should have thought of that before you became peasants!
Guard: For the last time, we did NOT order a giant trampoline!Salesman: You know, pal, you could have told me that before I set it up.
- And another one of the more trivial variety:
- American Pop
Palumbo: Don't you think it's time for a wedding?Zalmie: How can I ask her? I don't have a cent.Palumbo: You should have thought of that before you got her pregnant.
Films — Live-Action
- The Dark Knight
Maroni: This craziness... it's too much.
- Beethoven Lives Upstairs
Ludwig Van Beethoven: Where are the pens! I need a pen!Schindler: You should have thought of that before you destroyed the last one!
- Universal Soldier: The Return: The Intrepid Reporter, regarding the titular Super Soldiers annihilating the Red Shirt Army.
"Maybe you should have thought it up before you built the fucking things!"''
Live Action TV
- House episode "Hunting"
Kalvin: This is none of your business!House: Well, you should have thought of that before you stalked me. Now I'm interested.
- Heroes episode "Chapter Eighteen 'Parasite'"
Isaac Mendez: How am I supposed to pretend this didn't happen?Candice Wilmer: Maybe you should have thought about that before you shot her. Twice.
- Ugly Betty episode "A Tree Grows in Guadalajara"
Alexis: [Hates the fact that Daniel is seeing her ex-girlfriend]Daniel: You're just jealous because I've got the one thing you can't have. Guess you should have thought of that before you gave away the family jewels, huh?
- Dollhouse episode "Omega"
Caroline: Hey! That *is* my brain! I want my brain back! I want back in my brain!Alpha: You should have thought of that before you vacated the premises.
- In one disturbing example from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, a man is framed for raping a teenage girl, and is subsequently abused in prison. He pleads with the officers for protection but they just tell him, "You should have thought about the pecking order before you raped that girl." He ends up getting killed.
- In the Babylon 5 episode "Moments of Transition", Delenn and Warrior Caste leader Shakiri are in the Starfire Wheel together, as a contest of whose cause was the more righteous, at the end of the Minbari civil war. Shakiri (the one who initiated the war) is not faring very well, and showing his true colors as a result:
- From Gilbert and Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance:
Sergeant of Police: It is most distressing to us to be the agents whereby our erring fellow-creatures are deprived of that liberty which is so dear to us all— but we should have thought of that before we joined the force.
Veronica: Heather Chandler was the only person at school who could actually control Kurt and Ram, and she is dead.Heather Chandler: Should have thought of that before you killed me!
- The Joker Blogs
Mr Quinzel: I just don't want to have anything happen to my daughter.The Joker: Probably should've thought of that before you gave her away.
- Justice League gives us a delicious sarcastic subversion of this trope:
Clayface, to outnumbered Batman: You didn't think I'd come here without reinforcements, did ya?
- The Simpsons:
Lisa: Oh! It's the last day of the Isis exhibit!Bart: Well, you should have thought of that BEFORE I glued all this stuff to my face!
- An example that sort of toys with this. In "Lost Our Lisa", Lisa can't go to the Isis Exhibit because Marge has to take Bart to the hospital to get the novelty items he glued to his face removed, leading to this exchange:
Homer: Aw, come on, everybody. This bar is like a tavern to me.Moe: Sorry, Homer, you should have thought of that before you gave me the old sugar-me-do.
- Occurred another time when Homer gets banned from Moe's Tavern after pranking Moe by unscrewing a lid to a jar of sugar.
Woman: But how will I feed my family?Insurance Agent: You should have thought of that before you married a dead man.
- Parodied in "Mobile Homer", when Marge watches a Lifetime Movie of the Week about a woman losing her money after the death of her husband because he didn't have insurance.
Stewardess: You should have thought of that before you drank the fluids you need to live.
- In "Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson", Homer is denied entry into an airplane's bathroom and complains.
- Teen Titans.
Robber: [Bats come swarming out of the shadows] Who's there? I don't want any trouble.Robin: You should have thought about that before you committed the crime!
- In the South Park two-parter "Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut" when Lianne is talking about abortion:
Lianne: I mean, what right do I have bringing another child into this overpopulated world? Then again, I should have thought of that before having sex...
- When someone complains about the severity of their punishment or even about being punished in the first place, the authority figure pronouncing the punishment or carrying out the punishment will tell them they should have thought of that before committing any wrongdoing (i.e. a parent punishing a child, a judge sentencing a convict and so on).