slang for "Cool" or "Great".
Basically, this is when the word "Shine" and its variants are used to mean "Good", "Holy", "Righteous", or other similar things.
The reason is that to shine is to reflect a lot of light, so in a setting where Light is Good
(or at least seems to be), to shine is an indication of goodness. It's part of the reason the word is in the phrase Knight in Shining Armor
. (The other reason being that "shining" in armor also means "not rusty," important in a fight.)
Again, this is just the word, nothing else.
- Sega has the Shining Series of games named like this trope.
- The Shining Series also has two animes too.
- The hero of G Gundam pilots the Shining Gundam, with the attack "Shining Finger!"
- Kamen Rider Agito's Shining Form.
- Digimon Savers features ShineGreymon.
- Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman
- The second opening of Mobile Suit Victory Gundam has "Don't stop shining on!" in part of the lyrics. Although that was part of the Bait-and-Switch Credits.
- Several White Magic style hi-ougis in the Tales Series of RPGs by Namco. Of note is Raine's Sacred Shine and Tear's Innocent Shine. These good and holy attacks easily do damage in the thousands.
- Appears to be the basis of Shing Meteoryte's arte list in Tales of Hearts, or at least the Japanese equivalent (mixed in with "star" and "heaven" for good measure).
- In Thud!, the in-hiding king of trolls is known as "Mr. Shine,"note and Crysophase the troll refers to Captain Carrot (the suspected king of Ankh-Morpork and an all-around Nice Guy) as being "shiny."
- Crono's ultimate Tech in Chrono Trigger is called "Shining" (changed to "Luminaire" in the translation).
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has Shining Armor, main character Twilight Sparkle's older brother and minor supporting ally. Take a guess which trope he's named for.
- Pretty Cure has the Third Ranger Shiny Luminous, the items Shiny Perfume and Shiny Tambourine, the attacks Lemonade Shining, Shining Fortissimo and Happy Shower Shining, and the power-up Shining Dream. Not to forgetting Cure Sunshine.
- In Dungeons of Dredmor, several skill lines allow the character to gain a shining aura from being (supposedly) good, improving their Righteous damage and sight radius, among other skills. For example, the Aura of Self-Righteousness skill has a percent chance to blind the enemy.
- The Knights Radiant of The Stormlight Archive.