open/close all folders
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?" as well as a number of Kamina's other catch phrases. There's a reason the man is one of the vanishingly rare in-universe examples of Fountain of Memes.
- "Survival Strategy" is revealed to be this in Mawaru-Penguindrum.
- Death Note's taskforce shared, "Matsuda, you idiot!" though L was particularly fond of the phrase and its variations. Matsuda, of course, was the Phrase Catcher for it. Its use dies out about midway through the series, but is recalled in a Meaningful Echo by Light after Matsuda discovers he's Kira.
Light: Matsuda, you idiot! Who the hell do you think you're shooting at?!"
- Ninja Slayer has several, including the particularly odd battle cry of "YEEART!
- Domo, _______-san. My name is _______.
- Oh Buddha/Buddha Fuck!
- "I have a bad feeling about this" makes an appearance in every Star Wars film, and most Expanded Universe stories, as does the Big "NO!". "I sense a disturbance in the Force" isn't too far behind.
Kyle Katarn: You always sense a disturbance in the Force.
- In The Avengers (1998) the phrases "How real will it feel" and "I thought I was seeing double" are said by several characters.
Live Action TV
- Arrested Development:
- Each character has said "That was a freebie" once.
- "I've made a huge mistake" started as one of Gob's, but by the end of the series everybody was saying it.
- In Leverage, every member of the team has at one point said, "Seriously?" in similar same tones. The producer says he enjoys the spin they each put on it.
- Kamen Rider Double: "Now, count up your crimes!"
- Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: "Lets Make it Showy/Flashy."
- Doctor Who:
- Castle: "Shut the front door!"
- 24: "WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!"
- In the US version of The Office: "That's what she said!"
- The Monkees: "Don't do that."
- Happy Days had virtually everyone say "Sit on it!"
- It's very common for hosts on news programs and talk shows to use the phrase "Take a look." when calling attention to video that they have set up.
- "You idiot!"
- "You're/he's/she's an idiot."
- "Everybody lies."
- "I lied."
- "Goodbye, House."
- Breaking Bad: "So there's that."
- Are You Afraid of the Dark?: Every time a story was told, after giving the premise the storyteller would say "Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society"
- Letterkenny has a few amongst residents of the titular town.
- "Pitter patter, let's get at 'er".
- "How's it goin'?" "Good'n'you?" "Not's'bad". A common greeting amongst all residents.
- "Just kidding, we don't give a fuck."
- "There's no crying in wrestling!"
- "There's no timeouts in wrestling!"
- "Tonight In This Very Ring!"
- "This aint ballet!"
- Dragon Age: Inquisition has many characters who are fond of the utterance "Well, shit." It's even the name of one of Varric's companion sidequests.
- Red vs. Blue:
- "Son of a bitch!", said whenever someone's being fatally or near-fatally shot at or (more typically) blown up. There's a montage video showing pretty much nothing but people saying "Son of a bitch!" and other variants ("Madre de dios!" for Lopez, for example) on one of the DVDs.
- "That doesn't seem physically possible!", said first in response to a claim that a man was "beat to death with his own skull", then said in a flashback by the man who was being beaten to death with his own skull.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series: "Shut up, Mokuba." Though this shifts to Phrase Catcher.
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged: "Crapbaskets."
- Both shows of Decoder Ring Theatre, the Red Panda Adventures and Black Jack Justice, have several expressions and turns of phrase that several characters use in certain circumstances.
- "An interesting point" is used when one character makes a point whoever they're taking to can't dispute.
- "In a nutshell" is used after another character has accurately summarized the situation.
- "I have the nuances" is a character acknowledging they have a rough idea what's going on, if not the details.
- Many lines on Archer.
- That is just classic Mother.
- Danger Zone.
- What the shit?
- That is exactly how you get ants.
- Johnny Test: "Didn't see that coming."
- Phineas and Ferb:
- "Aren't you a little young/old/etc. to be (whatever the person is doing)?" and "Yes, yes I am"/"No, no I'm not."
- "Hey, where's Perry?"
- "Hey [character]. Watcha doin'?"
- Futurama: "Well, we're boned."
- Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja: Randy has a collection of strange euphemisms and odd lingo that he uses so often that almost everyone around him uses it as well. Such as "What the juice?!"(an exclamation of confusion)"that's the cheese" (that's the best), "so honkin' bruce" (that's freaking awesome), "shnasty" (extremely gross), "shoob" (bad or uncool person) and "so wonk" (so lame)
- Buddy Thunderstruck: Several different characters will often yell out "Fartnugget!" the same way a person would yell out an expletive.