A Catch Phrase
that is used in equal amounts by several characters.
If the catchphrase is usually said by one character, it's a Borrowed Catchphrase
. If it's something one person said once, then someone else said later, it's an Ironic Echo
or Meaningful Echo
. If the catchphrase is directed at the same person in each instance, that person is a Phrase Catcher
. If someone else's pet phrase or verbal tic 'infects' another character, it's Got Me Doing It
See Arc Words
for when the phrase is a dramatic element of the story.
open/close all folders
Live Action TV
- Red vs. Blue:
- "Son of a bitch!", said whenever someone's being fatally or near-fatally shot at or (more typically) blown up. There's a montage video showing pretty much nothing but people saying "Son of a bitch!" and other variants ("Madre de dios!" for Lopez, for example) on one of the DVDs.
- "That doesn't seem physically possible!", said first in response to a claim that a man was "beat to death with his own skull", then said in a flashback by the man who was being beaten to death with his own skull.
- "HOORAY FOR POKEY!!" and "YES!!" are used constantly, and by just about everyone, in POKEY THE PENGUIN.
- Many lines in Homestuck, such as "That's all there is to say on the matter" and "You cannot hope to defeat [character] in a [verb]-off. He is simply the best there is."
- Many lines on Archer.
- That is just classic Mother.
- Danger Zone.
- That is exactly how you get ants.
- Johnny Test: "Didn't see that coming."
- Phineas and Ferb:
- "Aren't you a little young/old/etc. to be (whatever the person is doing)?" and "Yes, yes I am"/"No, no I'm not."
- "Hey, where's Perry?"
- "Hey [character]. Watcha doin'?"
- Futurama: "Well, we're boned."
- ''Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja':' Randy has a collection of strange euphemisms and odd lingo that he uses so often that almost everyone around him uses it as well. Such as "What the juice?!"(an exclamation of confusion)"that's the cheese" (that's the best), "so honkin' bruce" (that's freaking awesome), "shnasty" (extremely gross), "shoob" (bad or uncool person) and "so wonk" (so lame)