The SCO has been surprisingly underused as a source of plots by Speculative Fiction, though references to the Sino-Russian alliances are sometimes made, independent of reference to any Central Asian country. However, groups like an "Asian Commonwealth" (which, for some reason, seems largely to consist of East Asia) have popped up in fiction, and bear similarities to the SCO. Perhaps inspired by this, The BBC once referred to the SCO as "the most important international organisation you've never heard of". Anime and Manga
- The Human Reform League in Mobile Suit Gundam 00 could be seen as having evolved from the SCO, considering how China and Russia are the leading players there.
- The SCO, along with NATO and an Islamic Alliance, is one of the three alliances in Modern Day Scenario II, replacing the Axis.
- Judging by the makeup of the OPFOR in Project Reality, it is possible that it includes SCO nations, though there has been hot dispute over Russia's status in the game's storyline.
- Later updates introduced maps where China fights Russia, so it is likely the SCO is disbanded, or Russia and/or China are no longer members.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, features the SDC (Strategic Defence Coalition), a speculative future version of the SCO that grew into an aggressive military alliance, composed of the existing SCO countries and several others. They are locked in a new Cold War with the US over rare earth elements, and its Chairman Tian Zhao seeks to bully Russia, Afghanistan, India, and Iran into pledging their military forces to his own.
- The Russian and Chinese-lead Red Star Alliance are stated to have formed from the SCO in Frontlines: Fuel of War.