Just the way she walked was illegal in thirty-seven States.When a woman walks with hips wiggling back and forth. She's more than likely to be wearing something tight and/or short enough that your eyes are drawn to her gorgeous legs and hind quarters. Commonly done while wearing high heels, although it's also possible to do this walk without high heels. This is often used as part of a Hello, Nurse! introduction or Walk This Way gag. You can be sure The Vamp will walk like this. Compare Showgirl Skirt (another blatant way to show off legs). Contrast Silly Walk.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Parodied in One Piece by Quirky Miniboss "Miss Doublefinger", whose hips swing dramatically from side to side with each step (or between every panel when she appears in the manga).
- Urusei Yatsura: Sakura's first day as the school nurse has what looks like the entire student body on the front lawn to watch her walk in... which makes Ataru's reaction all the more interesting.
- Queen's Blade: Melona does this all the time. Especially during the end credits.
- Club 9: Haruo the prospective hostess gets training from her already professional friend in this.
- Mawaru-Penguindrum: Himari's hat (long story) has one hell of a sexy walk when possessing Himari.
- Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Harumi walks like this from the moment she takes off her spacesuit. This lasts until she enters Tylor's cabin and finds it blacked out — suspecting an ambush, she leaps for cover and grabs for a gun hidden in a thigh holster, showing the audience her Hospital Hottie act is covering for something else.
Films — Animation
- Jessica Rabbit walks this way in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
- Sluefoot Sue in the "Pecos Bill" segment of Melody Time, emphasized by her large bustle.
- Elsa, the Snow Queen, near the end of her "I Am Becoming" Song from Frozen.
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Rainbow Rocks:
- DJ Pon-3 in the short "Music to My Ears".
- Likewise the Dazzlingss from the movie, who strut their stuff in such an overtly sexual manner (it genuinely brings to mind Mrs. Rabbit herself). Cue one of them walking past the camera, Hartman Hips swaying with wild abandon. But, of course, they ARE sirens after all.
Films — Live-Action
- Marilyn Monroe had a famous sexy walk, which she displayed in several films. In Some Like It Hot, Jerry (Jack Lemmon) comments: "Look at that! Look how she moves. That's just like Jell-O on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motors. I tell you, it's a whole different sex!" Apparently she accentuated it by shortening the heel of one of her shoes, which forced her to adjust her legs more. There's a funny story about her walking down the street giving an interview, while not being recognized at all. At one point she turns to the interviewer and asks if he'd like to see "her". She starts doing her famous walk and is instantly turning heads and getting recognized. A case could very well be made for her being the Trope Codifier, or at least being popular enough to inspire her own variation of the trope. Many another example of this trope is either an Homage or Shout-Out to her.
- Shaolin Soccer: The pretty girl who walks down the street while Sing and Fung talk about martial arts. Played with in that she trips on a Banana Peel and falls flat on her behind.
- The Girl Can't Help It: Jayne Mansfield as Jerri Jordan. Looking at her walk causes a milkman to spill his milk, an ice man to melt his block of ice, and another man's glasses to spontaneously fracture.
- The musical How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying has a blast of raunchy music that plays every time Sexy Secretary Hedy LaRue goes into her walk.
- The Belgian cult film Any Way the Wind Blows has a scene of a tall blonde office assistant walking down a sunny street in slow motion, her lover following close behind, supported by a rather suggestive soundtrack. The walk itself is not emphasized, but literally everybody stares as she goes by. The scene goes on for two whole minutes.
- Scarlett Johansson gets a rather nice one in Iron Man 2 when she first appears in her Black Widow outfit.
- Mysterious Skin: Rare male version; Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a good example.
- Another male version, this time from Harry Potter: In preparation to play seven characters disguised as Harry, Daniel Radcliffe observed his castmates' body language and noted that Rupert Grint has a wiggly, sexy walk. Which he presumably imitated as Ron-Harry.
- In Miss Congeniality, Grace receives coaching on how to do this, which is called "gliding" in the film. Humorously, the person teaching her is Victor Mellings, a middle-aged man.
Victor: It's all in the buttocks! Don't I look pretty?
Grace: It takes a very secure man to walk like that.
- Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy always walks like that when she is not fighting or running.
- In The Aeneid, Aeneas recognizes Venus in disguise "By her stride". Kind of awkward, seeing as she's his mother.
- Discworld: Adora Belle Dearheart can walk "like a snake trying to sashay".
- In the French police novels series San-Antonio, a sexy woman walking by is sometimes described as "trying to write some calculation with her ass, the like of 'I put down 8 and carry over 1'...".
- In the Trigger Argee stories (part of the Federation of the Hub series), Argee apparently has one; one person even mentions that it's known among her friends as "the Argee lilt" (referring to the motion of her hips). This is plot-relevant when other characters are trying to find a convincing body double for her.
- In Rally Round the Flag, Boys!, Comfort Goodpasture, to her father's distress, learns to walk like Marilyn Monroe even before she becomes interested in boys.
- Mad Men: Most women display it (even the housewives), but it's most in play when Joan is on the screen. Makes sense, given that she's Christina Hendricks.
- Star Trek:
- Family Matters:
- Played with. Carl is going to go undercover as a woman, and has to learn how to walk like one, so enlists his wife for help. Then they make out. Then Steve walks in.
- Played with in another episode; Steve Urkel is having some kind of Film Noir fantasy, with him as the Private Detective and all the other cast members filling various noir roles. Predictably, since it's Steve's fantasy, Laura is the Vamp. Every time she walks, a sound track of drums going boomp-bada-boomp-bada-boomp plays. At one point Steve snaps at her with "Would you sit down?! I can't think with those drums playing!"
- Saturday Night Live:
- Weekend Update covered a recent list of the sexiest women in comics, and Jessica Rabbit made the list. Jessica Biel walked in as Mrs. Rabbit, complete with drums.
- The parody of Mad Men, featuring Jason Sudeikis and Kristen Wiig as 1960s-era A-Holes who meet the characters of Mad Men [some played by the actual actors; others impersonated by the cast members]) and had Casey Wilson as Christina Hendricks's character Joan. It was lampshaded when she said, "I'm leaving. Wanna watch?" and every character (except Bill Hader as Sal) were fixated on her.
- Caprica Six of Battlestar Galactica often walks this way around Gaius Baltar.
- In The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Summer Glau carefully and intentionally gave Cameron a sexy walk. It should be noted that Cameron, being a Robot Girl, plays this up when she calculates that doing so will help her get what she wants.
- Rimmer of Red Dwarf gains a (fortunately brief) sexy walk in "Balance of Power" when his hologrammatic form is merged with Kochanski's hips. And one breast. Six series later, Kochanski's sexy walk reappears — with Kryten.
- Ginger on Gilligan's Island walks this way more often than not. Played for laughs on the episode where one of the male cast needed to dress up as Ginger (It Makes Sense in Context), and they had to see which one of them could do the best sexy walk.
- The X-Files. Played for Laughs in "First Person Shooter". Mulder is interrogating a stripper. When she leaves, Mulder leans sideways to check her out as she walks down the corridor. Scully, with an amused look on her face, leans sideways to block his view.
- In an episode of I Love Lucy, Lucy walks in an exaggerated version of this as part of an attempt to convince Ernest Ford she was a sinful city woman and he should go home. Ernest says "You have a hitch-up in your get-along."
- In an episode of Matlock, Matlock's law partner Michelle bets she can use her sexuality to get some tickets from Matlock. She does a sexy walk, he notices, asks her to repeat it, and when she does, references the I Love Lucy episode and quotes Ernest.
- Fran from Final Fantasy XII. She comes entire race of bunny girls who managed to evolve in such a way that high heel help them balance. Her steel thong does not help, nor do its magic camera-attracting powers.
- In Final Fantasy XIII, Vanille does a real hip-swaying one, that bounces her fur skirt and attached whip side to side.
- Metal Gear Solid has a scene where you must identify Meryl in disguise by her Sexy Walk.
- Ellia from Eternal Darkness. Take your thumb off of the run button, and walk as Alex. Damn fine.
- World of Warcraft: Roll a female draenei, and you'll see why "/waggle" has become a meme. (Although, in that case, it's not a matter of high heels; it's a matter of being unguligrade.) Hell, half the females in World of Warcraft walk like this — Night Elf and Blood Elf women, and to a lesser extent orc and troll ones as well. Not to mention the warlock's summonable Succubus minion. Draenei just happen to be exception in that the female half of their entire race happen to stick their butts out. Always.
- Bayonetta. Bayonetta swings her hips a foot in either direction when she walks normally. Her stance is so exaggerated that even when standing still her feet are placed on the opposite sides of her center of mass.
- Neverwinter Nights: The opposite sex party member in "A Harper's Tale" will complain about how distracting walking behind your character is. He/she immediately turns down an offer to walk in front, however.
- City of Heroes recently introduced the ability to "walk", giving each "body type" (male, female, and huge) it's own unique swagger. The female version is... almost back-breaking to watch, but DAMN it looks sexy.
- Morrowind , Oblivion, and Skyrim all have at least one Game Mod that allows this.
- The female character models in Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain do this, most noticeably in a crouched stance.
- Ashelin of the Jak and Daxter series certainly counts. This, combined with a few other elements makes it difficult to pay attention to the actual dialogue in any story-relevant cutscenes that she's in.
- Alicia Claus in Bullet Witch.
- Vanessa in P.N.03, though it also applies to her entire combat arsenal of sexy acrobatics and striptease/poledance style attacks.
- Bad Girl in No More Heroes does two. One involves dragging her bat as she walks, giving the walk a more "innocent" look. The other is holding the bat like a walking stick and putting her other hand on her hip, giving the walk a "sultry" look.
- Litchi Faye-Ling from BlazBlue as demonstrated here◊
- This is Trish's standard walk in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. On the other hand... even Deadpool walks like this during his Level 3 Hyper Combo — until you hit him then you get Life Bar in your face, the love of the Hyper Combo Bar, and a home run.
- First Encounter Assault Recon: Alma does one sneaking up behind Beckett in a destroyed Subway train.
- Carmen in The Path goes trudging through the forest dressed like she's off to the club, seducing any animals that may be watching, no doubt.
- Pretty much all the on-screen women in Batman: Arkham City. Special mentions go to Catwoman, who is a Third-Person Seductress, and Talia al Ghul, whom the game has you follow at one point with her assets prominently framed.
- Aya in Onechanbara
- In the Saints Row games where you can chose a woman in the Character Customization, her slowest walking speed does this.
- Mathilda in MadWorld
- Fallout 3 has this with female NPC's and the female version of the player character. The sauntering is rather exaggerated when running. Fallout: New Vegas decreases the hip sway when running, but increases it somewhat when walking.
- In Dragon Age II, one of the random conversations your party members can have involves Merrill trying to get Isabela to teach her how to do this.
- Kat in Halo: Reach, as well as the female Noble Six.
- Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad of Assassin's Creed I is not only legendary in-universe but also among the female followers of the series. His slowest walking speed comes with a nice view of those glorious hips and shoulders.
- ACII retains a milder version of this with Ezio, the Kenways tone it down even further but it's still there and the women all have it post ACI. Altaïr will always have the most prominent Sexy Walk of them all, though.
- Hexadecimal is rather famous for her slinky walk, with one particularly well-known shot of it being used in the opening credits for Seasons 1 and 2. In fact, at one point in the Playstation game, Hex attempts to seduce Bob by masquerading as Dot, but her walk ends up giving her away.
- Mouse in "The Great Brain Robbery" episode when she walks past Megabyte. The virus himself is unable to resist staring at her swaying butt.
Mouse: Let's get this show on the road, my meter's running.
- Minerva Mink from Animaniacs does this a lot. As do Hello, Nurse!.
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes: Black Widow and Maria Hill are both examples.
- Rocky and Bullwinkle: Natasha walks almost as a crudely-animated parody of this.
- The title character in the UPA cartoon The Miner's Daughter attempts one, but due to her rail-thin figure and clodhopper feet, it doesn't quite come off.
- Attempted by Sanjay's neighbor at the end of the Sanjay And Craig episode "Brett Venom, M.D.". Fetish Retardant Up to Eleven.