We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Think The Glasses Gotta Go
? Not always.
What Sexy Secretary
, Hot Librarian
, Hot Scientist
or Sexy Nerd
would be complete without a pair of glasses? It seems like adding a pair of spectacles to an already good-looking man or woman can increase their hotness substantially. After all, without them a character couldn't coyly nibble at the end of the ear piece or give sultry looks over the top of the lens frames. Though possibly the best thing about them is what could happen when those glasses get taken off...
The belief that "Glasses Are Hot" is a common fetish of characters, possibly because it's pretty PG as far as fetishes go, and relatively widespread in Real Life
, when the wearer is merely cute, rather than sexy. Tends to overlap with Stoic Spectacles
, surprisingly enough. The Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend
also draws powers of sexiness from glasses. Contrast Nerd Glasses
, when ugly glasses decrease
Please restrict examples to those in which glasses are are noted In-Universe as being part of the character's appeal, the glasses are an inherent part of their characterization, or that have Word of God confirmation. If it's primarly fans who think the glasses are sexy, chances are the character was simply meant to be a Meganekko or a Megane.
Anime and Manga
- Ristorante Paradiso: Nicoletta's mom has a thing for guys in reading glasses and only hires Waiters who wear them, though she doesn't mind if they are Purely Aesthetic Glasses.
- Bleach: Part of Nanao's appeal as a Sexy Secretary is her glasses. Kyoraku seems to agree, considering it turns out his former Lieutenant (whom Nanao seemed to look up to to some degree) looked very similar and also wore glasses.
- Durarara!!: Anri Sonohara is somewhat of a mix between Stoic Spectacles and Sexy Nerd, though Masaomi has said at least once that he finds her glasses particularly attractive.
- Parodied in Private Prince. The lead girl Miyako is a meganekko, and during a party she catches the sight of lead boy Will in public. The next day, dozens of girls show up in front of Will wearing glasses as they believe he has a fetish for cute girls with spectacles, which leaves him rather... surprised. (He actually has a fetish for big-chested girls... and Miyako happens to be VERY well-endowed.)
- In The Prince of Tennis, Yuushi Oshitari has perfect vision. However, he invokes the trope via wearing Purely Aesthetic Glasses... because he wants to look smarter and more attractive to girls.
- Haiyore! Nyarko-san has a scene where Nyarko makes her love interest Mahiro try on a pair, believing he doesn't understand "the power of the glasses" after her attempt to invoke the Meganekko look on him failed. When he does, it causes Nyarko (and Hasta) to collapse to the ground, drooling and muttering "The glasses...the glasses..."
- In Rising X Rydeen the first time Takara meets Aria he's stunned over how beautiful she looks and starts noting her attractive features, her glasses being one of them.
- In Ai Kora, an entire chapter is devoted to Kureha convincing an insecure Yukari that she can be, and in fact is, sexy because of her glasses.
- Wallace Wells from Scott Pilgrim openly has a fetish for glasses; he even seduces Stacey's new boyfriend on their first date simply because he has glasses.
- In Archie Comics' Josie and the Pussycats, Melody gets glasses, and for some reason, attracts even more guys (if that's even possible), Which prompts Josie and Valerie to pretend to be blind in order to get glasses themselves.
- In Empowered, Emp's Hot Librarian costume includes a pair of glasses. Thug Boy finds them very hot.
- The Station Agent: Finn's friends tell him to buy the librarian glasses so they can play Hot Librarian.
- As one can imagine, most pornos with Hot for Teacher, Sexy Secretary, or one of the others as its theme will give the star thick glasses to complete the look. They even keep them on during sex.
- Fujoshi Kanojo: When Y-ko finds out that the protagonist wears reading glasses, she insists that he put them on and squees over them. In the manga adaptation, her character expounds at length on the appeal of guys in glasses.
- One Life to Live: A certain assistant DA always wore glasses but eventually admitted that he had 20/20 vision. He had started wearing them in law school because he wanted to be taken seriously but kept wearing them because he found that women loved them.
- In Saved by the Bell when the girls are asked to do modelling, Jessie's costume has her wearing a sexy pair of glasses.
- Angel. Jealous over Wesley's attraction to the geeky Winifred Burkle, Lilah Morgan waits for him in his office dressed in Girlish Pigtails and Nerd Glasses. As they're ripping off each others clothes to have sex, Wesley interrupts their passion to insist she keep the glasses on. He still breaks up with her in the next episode, despite Lilah's offer to wear the glasses again.
- Dollhouse: Topher describes Bennett as especially attractive for her glasses on a chain.
- Upon seeing Bones put on a pair of glasses, Booth asks her to do a series of sexy poses with them. She doesn't know what that means.
- In an episode of The Big Bang Theory, Penny puts on glasses to see if Leonard will find it attractive. He does.
- When Stacy Keibler started managing The Dudley Boys, she donned her own version of their trademark glasses.
- Brooke Tessmacher used this as part of her entrance. She was at first a Sexy Secretary but when she started wrestling she would remove her glasses and undo her hair.
- Eve Torres was appointed Executive Administrator to John Laurinaitis and so got herself a nice pair to go with the job.
- Summer Rae gave herself glasses when she became FCW General Manager, almost in an ironic way since she had a Dumb Blonde character.
- Serena Deeb played Paige Webb in Wrestlicious, and the commentator sighed that it was a shame she couldn't wear her glasses while wrestling.
- Bayonetta: Invoked. To the point one can purchase her glasses. They're quite expensive.
- In almost every Romance Game produced by Voltage Inc, there is at least one character who dons glasses at some point during their route:
- In My Forged Wedding it's Saeki, who has some eye trouble during his route, but as a scriptwriter for romance dramas is also well aware of the trope.
- In Seduced In The Sleepless City, there are two examples: Ryoichi, who wears glasses when he's writing, and Mirai, who uses them for Clark Kenting purposes.
- In In Your Arms Tonight, Ebihara normally wears contacts but occasionally falls back on glasses when he's in a more casual mode outside of work.
- In Be My Princess, Edward and Wilfred both don glasses at points during their main routes, and Keith wears them during his sequel at his younger sister's instigation.
- Arthur from Rune Factory 4 has a real thing for glasses. He wears a pair himself, collects hundreds of pairs simply because he thinks they're cute, and often tries to get the player or another character to try on glasses.
- Venus Lovelace, deity of space from Skullgirls, wears only these and lacy underwear.
- Several characters in the Walkyverse have things for glasses, and it may be a personal Author Appeal as well.
- Groovy Kinda has two women who rock the specs: Anya Langerak, and Eleanor.
- Allison Carter of Sunstone wears a pair of these when in her Domme persona.