Last Man Standing
is an ABC Domestic Comedy
series starring Tim Allen
. Currently in its second season, it concerns Allen's attempts to raise a family where all of the children are female, including one who has already given birth to a grandson. Considered both a Spiritual Successor
to Home Improvement
due to being an Allen vehicle where he plays similar characters (a father obsessed with preserving and passing down manhood) and somewhat of Dueling Shows
with Good Luck Charlie
as they both take place in the same city and cover similar situations.
This show contains examples of:
- Brainy Brunette: Kristen.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Subverted with Mandy. She's not bratty, but clearly has her moments of being this way.
- Better as Friends: Kyle and Kristen.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Vanessa, the only blonde, Kristen and Mandy are the brunettes, and Eve is the redhead (though it looks more of an auburn color).
- Bumbling Dad: Mike.
- Camp Straight: Kyle. Though he's not actually gay, he likes feminine stuff like baking and watching Chick Flick Romantic Comedy movies. He even dates Kristen in the first season.
- Celebrity Star: Kim Kardashian guest starred in one episode in Season 1. Along with Nick Jonas, who also guest starred as Kristen's baby daddy and ex-boyfriend in the Christmas Episode during the same season.
- Christmas Episode
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Kyle definitely has his moments.
- Cool Old Guy: Ed.
- Comedy Series/Sitcom
- Daddy's Girl: Eve pretty much has a close bond with Mike than Kristen and Mandy do.
- Dawson Casting: Molly Ephraim, who plays Mandy, Mike's teenage daughter, is actually 26-years-old in real life.
- Averted with Alexandra Krosney, whose character is out of high school, is only 4 years younger than Molly.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mike, Kristen, and Eve all fit this trope to a T.
- Disappeared Dad: Ryan to Boyd, though he reappeared in the first season Christmas Episode and now becomes a Recurring Character in the second season.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Boyd.
- The Ditz: Mandy.
- Doting Parent: Kristen.
- Dom Com
- The Fashionista: Mandy.
- Glamorous Single Mother: Kristen.
- Good Parents: Mike and Vanessa.
- Granola Guy: Ryan.
- Happily Married: Mike and Vanessa.
- Halloween Episode
- High School Sweethearts: Ryan and Kristen were this back in high school before she got pregnant. They broke up right after Boyd was born.
- I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine: Richard Karn in "Attractive Architect"
- It's All About Me: Ryan. His self-centered nature caused his relationship with Kristen and Boyd to be strained.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ryan. Although he can be shallow and self-centered, he actually still cares for Kristen and tries to have a good relationship with his son.
- Manly Guys Doing Manly Things: Mike likes doing "manly things" and tries to maintain his manhood while being surrounded by women at home.
- Middle Child Syndrome: Mandy.
- Nuclear Family
- Only Sane Man: Mike. While being the only man around the house, he's pretty much the sane one in the family.
- Vanessa even moreso. Whenever Mike gets carried away with his testosterone-fueled antics or conservative rants Vanessa has to reel him back in and convince him to make amends to whomever he has hurt or offended.
- The Other Darrin: Alexandra Krosney played Kristen in the first season. Now in the second season, her character will be portrayed by a different actress.
- Played straight with Nick Jonas, who played Kristen's baby daddy Ryan in the Season 1 Christmas Episode will also be played by a different actor. The same here with the twin actors Luke and Evan Kruntchev who played Boyd in the first season will be portrayed by a different actor in Season 2 also.
- Romantic False Lead: Kyle for Kristen. They've dated in the first season, but it doesn't neccessarily last.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Kyle's the sensitive guy and Mike's the manly man.
- Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome: Boyd, who was a 2-year-old in the first season, will be 5 in the second season. It's mostly have to do with Boyd being portrayed by a different actor for the new season, who is actually 5-years-old.
- Spiritual Successor: It's like Home Improvement with daughters instead of sons.
- Strawman Political: Mike's overt Republican beliefs set the character up as this for viewers on the left, presenting every stereotype Democrats dislike about Republicans. He's a gun-toting, ethnocentric, angry, borderline bigot who sees Barak Obama as a socialist nightmare here to take his guns and money.
- Ryan is his Democratic counterpart. He embodies the "bleeding heart liberal" to a T. He's also a vegan, pacifist, borderline hippie who blames the 1% for the state of the economy and wants socialized medicine.
- Teen Pregnancy: Kristen got pregnant during her senior year in high school.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Eve's the tomboy to Mandy's girly girl.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Mike.
- Will They or Won't They?: Everyone's wondering if Ryan and Kristen will try to get back together for Boyd's sake.
- Wise Beyond Her Years: Kristen.