Seinarukana - The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2. A visual novel by Xuse. The second in the Eien Shinken (Eternity Sword) series.
The main character, Setoki Nozomu, is an Ordinary High-School Student
. Until one day, whilst helping out with preparations for the School Festival
, the school, Mononobe Academy, comes under attack by a mysterious army of sword-wielding women, later identified as Minions. As it turns out, Nozomu is the incarnation
of Jiruoru, the God of Destruction. He awakens to his powers during the battle, materializes his Shinken (Divine Sword) and does battle with the Minions. During the battle, his classmate and childhood friend
also awakens to her powers, but it goes out of control and the entire school and the people within it are transported to another world. In their efforts to return to the "Original World", Nozomu and the others travel to many different worlds, meeting many different people.
See also Eien no Aselia
, the first installment.
This game provides examples of:
- A-Cup Angst - Poor Nozomi has insecurities, even though she doesn't look that unfortunate.
- Arbitrary Headcount Limit - It makes sense in context of the gameplay: Each squad needs one attacker (Who attacks), one defender (Who defends against the enemy attacker) and one supporter (Who casts support spells). The only exception is the case of All-rounders, which are single units that fulfill all three roles in one squad, and fight alone.
- Artificial Human - The inhabitants of the Future World
- Also the Minions. Even though they aren't actually humans, they come close enough.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning - Katima's coronation.
- Backstory - Extremely important to the story. Everything began from the Northern-Southern Gods War who knows how many incarnations ago.
- Badass Adorable - Euphoria. Just Euphoria. Watch her mow down the mooks using Doom Judgement.
- Battle Aura - Accompanies the use of a character's most powerful skill(s). With CG.
- Big Bad - The Management Gods
- Bokukko - Ruputna. Rehme even used this term to refer to her on at least one occasion.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Cat Girl - Naya
- Continuity Nod - Tokimi, Kaori, and Kotori whom the protagonist meets in the Mirror World are all characters from Eien no Aselia, the first visual novel of the Eien Shinken series.
- Also, sort of a Previous Player-Character Cameo since you could use Tokimi and Kaori in the first game, though Kaori was only available on the Tokimi route much like how Io was only playable on the Lesteena route.
- Combining Mecha - During the final battle in Narukana's route. Except it didn't involve mecha. It started with Narukana shouting "Gattai!", and then she sucked in Rehme and Satsuki into her body and they became a single Shinken for Nozomu's use. Definitely one of the many Crowning Moments of Funny in this game.
- Determinator - Nozomu
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? - Et Ca Rifa
- Dual Wielding - Nozomu's Shinken takes the form of a pair of swords.
- Emotionless Girl - Faim.
- Empathic Weapon - All of the Eien Shinken. The lower level ones don't have very powerful wills, and the mid-level ones are usually driven by their instincts to destroy all other Eien Shinken and consume all mana, though they do have their own well-defined personalities. Only the highest level Shinken are capable of resisting their own instincts.
- Extremity Extremist - Ruputna fights exclusively with kicks.
- Fan Translation - There is currently one in the works at http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Seinarukana.
- Fictionary - The language used by the Northern and Southern Gods in the prologue.
- Gambit Roulette - The Management Gods have access to the Time Tree's Log Field, where data for everything which has ever happened within the Time Tree is recorded. Thus, they are able to predict the actions of the protagonist and his allies.
- Gameplay and Story Segregation - Most evident in regards to Narukana. In her specific route, she is able to take on Et Ca Rifa one-on-one. Although she's
quite powerful in gameplay the most hax character ever in gameplay, she's not that powerful still not powerful enough to kill the god of all creation on her own.
- Genre Savvy - Generally everyone to a greater or lesser degree. Especially Satsuki and Narukana.
- Hentai - Naturally.
- Heroes Prefer Swords - Nozomu, Satsuki, Katima and Zetsu. Also many of the enemy Minions.
- Hyperspace Arsenal - The Shinken. Literally materializes out of thin air whenever its wielder desires.
- Hot-Blooded - Sorluska
- 100% Completion - Numerous replays required in order to obtain all the C Gs. Also, for the really dedicated, one can attempt to acquire all the skills available, which requires a grand total of EIGHTEEN PLAYTHROUGHS of the game, six on each difficulty to complete each of the heroines' routes, and with a perfect SS rank on every mission.
- Immortality Seeker - The Chaos Eternals
- Improbable Age - Naya is the head of the government in the Magic World. The majority of the members of the Brigade are veteran fighters even though they're teenagers.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind - Done in order to free Nozomu from Jiruoru's domination.
- Katanas Are Just Better - Subverted. Black Minions all wield Katana-like Shinken but aren't actually powerful. However, they all use Iai, a sword technique where the blade is drawn from its sheath and strikes the opponent in one single motion, and immediately re-sheathed, which looks really cool.
- Then there's Zetsu, who wields a katana and is quite simply awesome. However, this is subverted by the fact that his Katana Shinken 'Gyouten' is merely a somewhat inferior copy of Nozomu's Shinken 'Reimei', which is a pair of longswords.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia - Euphoria (although there are hints that she may be faking it).
- Last Stand - Defending the Izumo shrine against the Antibody Weapons.
- Limited Move Arsenal - Equip your characters with 3 each of Attack, Defend, and Support skills. Even then, the number of times each specific skill can be used is limited.
- Limited Wardrobe - Everyone wears only their school uniforms. Justified as no one was planning on taking an extended trip that day. Doesn't explain why they didn't pick some up in the various worlds they visit...
- Living Weapon - Narukana is actually a Shinken.
- meido - Philomera (Naya's maid)
- Mirror Universe - Mirror World, where everything looks exactly like they do in the Original World, except the people.
- New Game+
- Non-Human Sidekick - Each Shinken wielder's Shinjuu (Divine Beast).
- Oblivious to Love - Nozomu takes this trope, cranks it Up to Eleven, then sticks it to a rocket and blasts it out of the solar system. This being an eroge though, he gets better.
- Panty Shot - Playing basketball with Nozomi, Satsuki, and Ruputna. With CG even!
- Person of Mass Destruction - Jiruoru had, in the past, destroyed whole worlds. Narukana is implied to be able to do the same, as is Euphoria, and practically every other Eternal in the entire universe.
- Power Strain Blackout - Happens to Nozomu on several occasions as he draws more and more of Jiruoru's power. Also happens once each to Nozomi and Katima.
- Really 700 Years Old - Salles and Narukana have been around since before the Time Tree existed. In a certain sense, that makes them older than time itself.
- Rebel Leader - Katima. Even if she says otherwise, she's clearly the heart and soul of the rebels. Officially, Cromway.
- Reincarnation - See Backstory above.
- Sand in My Eyes - Nozomu's usual excuse on at least two occasions.
- Sealed Evil in a Can - Jiruoru in Nozomu.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil - Justified in that Minions, Mana Golems, and Eternal Avatars don't work for the same bosses.
- Space Whale - Nozomi's Divine Beast, Monobe, is a whale-like creature, capable of traveling between worlds, carrying Mononobe Academy on its back.
- Storming the Castle - Done numerous times throughout the game.
- Stripperiffic - Evorlia. Jatzieta.
- Student Council President - Satsuki
- Supporting Leader - Salles, the leader of the Brigade.
- The Chessmaster - The Management Gods.
- The Dragon - Berbalzerd is The Dragon of the Bringers of Light.
- The End of the World as We Know It - What happens if you don't stop Et Ca Rifa from resetting the Time Tree.
- The Man Behind the Man - The Management Gods to the Bringers of Light.
- Then Et Ca Rapha to the Management Gods.
- The Multiverse - The Time Tree.
- The Power of Friendship - Protects Nozomu, Narukana, Satsuki and Euphoria during the final battle in the Narukana route. A real corny moment.
- Timed Mission - While finishing each mission quickly is not absolutely necessary, you do get additional mana and better skills.
- Took a Level in Badass - Happens even within actual gameplay. The acquisition of certain skills can result in your character suddenly being able to take down anything and everything in their path.
- True Companions - The Brigade are Nozomu's
- Tsundere - Thalia. She's "dere" towards Salles, and "tsun" towards everyone else.
- Unwanted Harem - On the other hand, maybe players actually do enjoy the attention...
- Villain Pedigree - Sorting Algorithm of Evil above.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair - Generally justified in that the people with unnatural hair colour aren't human. Everything else can be passed off as artistic accenting. The only exception I can think of would be Philomera and Evolia. Maybe they dye their hair.
- You Shall Not Pass - Nozomu does this in order to protect Naya in the Magic World.
- Zettai Ryouiki - Satsuki's battle dress. Also, Katima's.