This film shows the first mystery ever solved by Scooby-Doo
and his friends and how they first met and befriended one another.
- Blatant Lies: Shaggy tried to use some to avoid admitting being Book Dumb. The list included: being born in a leap year; too tall for his age...
- Book Dumb: Shaggy was held back a year twice. He had to admit it when he told his friends he already had a driver's license.
- Exact Words: When they were told they mustn't be seen anywhere near Coolsville High, Daphne emphasized on they to suggest disguises. Shaggy thought she was suggesting using some invisibility serum.
- Food As Bribe: During the epilogue, Shaggy offered (and named) Scooby Snacks to convince Scooby to join the gang in further mysteries.
- Mythology Gag: Between the epilogue and the end credits, the theme song for What's New, Scooby-Doo? played, as well as a clip parodying the intro of that series and other Scooby-Doo ones.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The band of heroes were: a Jock, a Spoiled Sweet girl, a smart girl, a Big Eater and a cowardly dog. No, not that cowardly dog.
- Retcon: The origin of the Mystery Machine. In What's New, Scooby-Doo?, it originally belonged to a musical group known as "The Mystery Kids" and was already painted the way most fans got used to see. In this movie, it belonged to Daphne's parents, who kept it for their gardener to use. It was still a plain green van.
- Shout-Out: In the Mystery Machine, there was a Huckleberry Hound doll.