Sandal punk is a subgenre of the Punk Punk
science fiction category. It focuses on the classical period or the ancient world before the Middle Ages, usually Ancient Rome
, or Ancient Greece
, or both
, sometimes with hints of The Trojan War
; or alternatively, on a Fantasy Counterpart Culture
or Planet of Hats
modeled on those settings.
- 300 with its Persian ninjas, giant warriors and grenade throwing wizards.
- Lou Ferrigno's Hercules battles giant extraterrestial robots.
- Harryhausen's Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans are set in a version of Greece where fantasy monsters are real. A few are even mechanical (a colossus in the former, an owl in the latter).
- Disney's Hercules is a loose re-telling of the ancient myths about Hercules with several anachronistic elements.
- The Atlanteans from Atlantis: The Lost Empire are depicted as possessing technology and science far more advanced than anything recorded in history including laser-spewing hovercrafts, floating monuments, crystals that grant healing and advanced longevity, hyper-awareness of languages created millenia after their own, and massive machines. All this while still possessing tribalistic characteristics such as a hunter/gatherer style of living.
- Those historical novels by Mary Renault which are set in ancient Greece.
- Pyramid magazine outlined two separate Sandalpunk GURPS settings: "Bronzepunk" (Greece) and "Ironpunk" (Rome).
- OGL Ancients is based around the civilization before the Roman Empire (with special focus on Greece and Egypt) and features the Artificer Class.
- Hercules, the midquel series to the Disney movie mentioned above, is set in an anachronistic version of ancient Greece. It explores the world even further, and features a Gadgeteer Genius father-son duo as part of its cast.