Sandal punk is a subgenre of the Punk Punk science fiction category. It focuses on the classical period or the ancient world before the Middle Ages, usually Ancient Rome, or Ancient Greece, or both, sometimes with hints of The Trojan War; or alternatively, on a Fantasy Counterpart Culture or Planet of Hats modeled on those settings.
- 300 with its Persian ninjas, giant warriors and grenade throwing wizards.
- Lou Ferrigno's Hercules battles giant extraterrestial robots.
- Harryhausen's Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans are set in a version of Greece where fantasy monsters are real.
- Hercules The Legendary Journeys (1995-1999)
- Xena: Warrior Princess (1995-2001)
- Young Hercules (1998-1999)
- An episode of Star Trek: The Original Series called "Bread and Circuses" focused on a parallel Earth discovered in another star system which was home to a modern-day Roman Empire with mid-20th century technology and media-driven popular culture with gladiator fights being both a part of the modern slavery institution as well as a professional sport.
- The Doctor Who episode "The Fires of Pompeii," set in that city right before the famous volcanic eruption that destroyed it, had elements of this, particularly its depiction of Roman religion.
- Pyramid magazine outlined two seperate Sandalpunk GURPS settings: "Bronzepunk" (Greece) and "Ironpunk" (Rome).
- OGL Ancients is based around the civilization before the Roman Empire (with special focus on Greece and Egypt) and features the Artificer Class.