Sam Witwer is an American screen actor and musician best known for his roles as the pilot Crashdown on the new Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined)
, Aidan in Being Human (Remake)
and Davis Bloom/Doomsday in the 8th season of Smallville
. He has also made a number of other minor appearances on the shows Dexter
, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
, Dark Angel
. Gamers would recognize him as both the voice and look
of Darth Vader's secret apprentice, Starkiller/Galen Marek, in the Star Wars
video game The Force Unleashed
(he also voices
Emperor Palpatine). He returns as Starkiller's clone in the sequel, The Force Unleashed II
Sam is very much a geek at heart, being a huge gamer and an all around Star Wars nerd (making his job on Unleashed a childhood dream come true
). He had attended Juilliard School of Drama for a time but according to his own website
"he got kicked out, but it was all good!" He has said in interviews that grades have never been his thing.
As of late, he seems to be the go to guy for Villain Protagonists
. Sam likes to get inside the heads of his characters and bring out their sympathetic qualities along side their villainous ones, compelling the audience to root for them (or at least sympathize) no matter what alignment
they are at the time. And he can go from a nice, normal guy to being scary-as-hell at a drop of a hat.
Apart from his acting career, he has his own metal rock band called The Crashtones.
- Chewing the Scenery: Not so much in his live-action roles, but in his voiceover work, he really goes all out. Though it's not like Sith are known for restraint.
The Son: "We will DESTROY the Sith!!! And the Jedi..."
Darth Maul: "The scum! HE TOOK THEM FROM ME!!
Starkiller's Clone: YOU WILL DIE WHERE YOU STAND!!
- Ink-Suit Actor: As Starkiller.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice
- Mr. Fanservice: He's easy on the eyes, that's for sure.
- One of Us: A huge gamer and Star Wars fan.
- Promoted Fanboy: He's a Star Wars fan, making his job in The Force Unleashed a dream come true. And if that's not enough, he's also been in Star Wars: The Clone Wars as The Son and Darth Maul.
- Apparently, when he got the call that he was going to play Darth Maul, he nearly crashed his car.
- Throw It In: While being interviewed about playing Darth Maul, he started geeking since the interview was being conducted in the Lucasfilm archives. They left it in.
- Type Casting: Doomsday in Smallville, Starkiller and Palpatine in The Force Unleashed, The Son and Darth Maul in Star Wars: The Clone Wars... seeing a pattern here? It was even jokingly lampshaded in an interview with him, about working on The Clone Wars:
Sam: Look, if you’ve got to be typecast for something, you might as well be —
Interviewer: The ultimate asskicker?