Rym is a Science Fantasy
setting placed on the Web by artist Ollie Canal. It's set up as material for a tabletop RPG
The premise: alien necromancers are slowly draining the life from a planet
already suffering from past apocalypses, including the fall of civilization and the death of five out of six gods. A kingdom of noble heroes arose to fight them... and got slaughtered. You come in well After the End
The setting is divided between multiple Web sites and is very incomplete due to the author's elusiveness. The main setting site is here
to skip Flash intro), with info on a default campaign setup here
) and a more complete collection of links here
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The Creators' "City Mind", a computer god, declared war on the official gods and got nearly everyone on both sides killed.
- After the End: The high-tech Creator Empire fell thousands of years ago, killing five out of the six gods and wrecking the world.
- Apocalypse How: Technically Class 2 (most humans and others die) in the backstory. The Spiral are working on Class 5 — they're terraforming the planet to suit their own undead biology — and probably X long-term.
- Apocalyptic Log: One of the last radio broadcasts was: "We are all dead. Our world has become death. Stay away."
- Author Existence Failure: Ollie posted the setting and related material, vanished from the Net, reappeared to post some related art, then vanished again.
- Crapsack World: Besides the alien necromancers trying to annihilate all life, and the fact that the ecosystem and magic are collapsing, there's a slavery-heavy empire, a race of berserk drug-addled lizards, a corrupt greedy merchant race, and several whole civilizations devoted to getting off the planet. Oh, and there's a black hole in the vicinity.
- Humongous Mecha: Visible overhead is Nigh, an ancient giant nuclear-armed god-slaying robot raven.
- Jerk Ass Gods: The Creators' excuse for building the City Mind.
- Magitech: Creator, Spiral and Hoomiku tech especially.
- Petting Zoo People: Lutrai (friendly otters), skole (tribal wolves), hoomiku (paranoid genius cats), cepn (assassin bats), and so on.
- Rage Against the Heavens: With giant robots.