a.k.a. Ruin Explorers Fam & IhrlieRuin Explorers
is a manga written by Kunihiko Tanaka
, who also made character designs for Xenogears
and Xenosaga Episode 1
; it was made into a 4 episode OAV by ANIMATE
. It covers the exploits of Fam and Ihrie as they explore ruins
and search for the Ultimate Power
Compare with Slayers
and in less degree, with Queen's Blade
, being the Spiritual Successor
of sorts, since both titles were published by Hobby Japan.
Ruin Explorers provides examples of:
- A-Cup Angst: Miguel actually mistakes Ihrie for a boy; this sets her off so much that she (successfully) beats him up, despite the fact that he just one hit KO'd an armored knight and (claims he) could subdue fifty calvarymen at once.
- Action Girl: Pretty much every girl.
- Aerith and Bob
- Affably Evil: Ruguduroll
- Almost Dead Guy: A slightly disturbing example when Lyle returns to his Doomed Hometown: a man is kept alive by Ruguduroll's sorcery just long enough to tell Lyle what happened, and then falls apart into dust.
- Animated Adaptation: Started as a manga.
- Badass Adorable: Fam
- Badass Boast: "Mighty Miguel has slain a hundred swordsman! NOT ONE OF THEM COULD TOUCH ME!!"
- Baleful Polymorph: Ihrie turns into a mouse if she uses magic.
- Berserk Button: Don't even suggest that Ihrie remotely looks like a boy. Seriously, don't.
- Big Damn Heroes: When the party defeats Ruguduroll.
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: In the 3rd episode, Ihrie and Lyle ask Miguel to give them lessons in swordsmanship in preparation for their showdown with Ruguduroll. They both improve by the end of the episode.
- Catgirl: Fam
- Celibate Heroine: Irhie doesn't seem interested in romance of any kind, including where Lyle is concerned. Whereas Fam and Rasha are gaga over him.
- Curtains Match the Window: Ihrie
- Cute Little Fang: Fam
- The Ditz: Fam
- Disproportionate Retribution: Ihrie ends up on the receiving end of this twice:
- The first is shown, during a flashback, where she accidentally blew up her spell master's laboratory by mishandling one of his forbidden spells. So he put a curse on her that causes her to change into a mouse anytime she uses magic.
- Fam does this to her, at the end of the first episode, after they have an argument (see Never My Fault further down). She runs off with all their gear - including Ihrie's coin purse, leaving her penniless.
- Easily Forgiven: Ihrie starts to chew Fam out, when she finally catches up to her, but she ultimately decides that it isn't worth making a fuss over and makes up with her instead.
- Everything's Nuttier With Squirrels: Per supplementary materials, Fam is actually a were-squirrel.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink
- Functional Magic
- Green-Eyed Monster
- "I Hate Mice!": Wanna see how fast Rasha can run? Put a mouse in front of her, then stand clear.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes
- Little Bit Beastly
- MacGuffin: The Ultimate Power, the Sword of Sargus
- Medieval European Fantasy
- Never My Fault: Yes, Ihrie's pretty hard on Fam, but it's far from unwarranted given the number of times Fam's carelessness and her inability to remember incantations has nearly gotten them killed. But, as far as Fam's concerned, Ihrie's an unreasonable jerk who's always yelling at her for nothing. So she decides to "get even" with her by running off with all of their gear, including Ihrie's coin purse.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Oh my goodness, Rasha.
- Only the Pure of Heart: Required to wield the Sword of Sargus. But it doesn't have to be a good heart...
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Ihrie gets stuck being a barmaid, thanks to Fam running off with her coin purse. The barkeeper tells her to Show Some Leg and wiggle her butt to entice the customers.
- Revenge: Why Lyle seeks Ruguduroll.
- Rhymes on a Dime: Fam, Rasha and, to a lesser extent, Ihrie (due to her curse). In their world, all spells require an incantations that's spoken in rhyme.
- Rivals Team Up: The two treasure hunter groups do this.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Sargus
- Shout-Out: There's a man named Galuff whose dog is named Gill. On their own, it would draw no attention, but together...
- Stripperiffic: Apparently, Fam doesn't believe she needs pants (or shoes, for that matter) since she has fur. And no one bats an eyelash at the fact she runs around in nothing but a thong and a loincloth.
- Supporting Protagonist: Fam & Ihrie, who wind up tagging alongside Lyle, given that the story mostly focuses on his quest.
- Sword and Sorcerer: Miguel and Rasha are a textbook duo: he wields the blade, she casts spells.
- Talking Weapon: The Sword of Sargus
- The Fellowship Has Ended: Strongly implied at the end of the series.
- The Rival: Rasha becomes this to Fam, where Lyle's affections are concerned.
- To the Pain: Played for Laughs in the second episode, when Miguel ends up in a fist fight with the barkeep Ihrie was working for. By the time it's over, they've beaten each other to a pulp and can barely stand.
- The Wise Prince/ Warrior Prince: Prince Lyle
- Wiccan: Fam is referred to as one and can talk to spirits.
- X Marks the Hero: Irhie has an X-shaped scar on her left cheek.