A comedy hip-hop duo, from Limerick, Ireland. They've been around since 2000, but they really got big in 2010, when they were featured on RTÉ
's Republic of Telly
. Their hit 'Horse Outside' was favourite to be the Irish Christmas Number 1, and was part of an Internet campaign to beat X-Factor
winner Matt Cardle to the spot, but eventually lost.
Rubberbandits are also known for their hilarious prank calls, and for wearing plastic bags over their faces. And for having Limerick accents, and being stereotypical Limerick skangers, of course.
page can be found here
, and the video for 'Horse Outside' can be found here
. Just be careful, it's not exactly safe for work.
Members are: Blindboy Boat Club and Mr. Chrome
Tropes featured by Rubberbandits:
- Cluster F-Bomb: The word 'fuck' is said 17 times in 'Horse Outside'.
- 'Fellas' going WAY past that number.
- Cool Horse
- Cool Mask: They wear plastic bags over their faces.
- Department of Redundancy Department: The entire song of "Too Many Gee".
- Genius Ditz: Rubberbandits act like stereotypical Limerick skangers, which includes acting just a bit stupid. When 'Horse Outside' was released, and people began ringing up Live Line to complain about the song, Blindboy decided to join in the conversation. He rang in, and instead of acting stupid or joking like people expected him to, he managed to completely tear apart their arguments, in an extremely intelligent way.
- Lyrical Dissonance: The Gaelic version of "I Wanna Fight your Father".
- Perishing Alt Rock Voice: Spastic Hawk
- Stage Names: Blindboy Boat Club and Mr. Chrome
- The Troubles: The subject of the song 'Up the Ra', which is a parody of armchair republicanism.
- Token Minority: The whole point of "Black Man".