Rough is a romantic comedy swimming manga by Mitsuru Adachi, author of Touch and Cross Game. The story is about high school student Keisuke Yamato, a 100m freestyle swimmer, and Ami Ninomiya, the diver he falls in love with.
Tropes used in Rough:
- Cock Fight: When Hiroki feels that Ami is giving Keisuke too much attention, he turns their friendly rivalry into a bitter competition for Ami's love.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Ami calling Keisuke a "murderer" at the beginning, when he had nothing to do with said death except being part of the same family. Read below why.
- Fanservice: It's a sports anime starring a boy and a girl that swim. Lots of this abounds.
- Feuding Families: The Ninomiya's toward the Yamato's. Keisuke's dad sees it more as a rivalry though.
- Put on a Bus: After being unable to go to Koshien, Takeshi Ogata left Eisen High School and returned home to care for his ailing mother.
- Serious Business: Bakeries. Both families run one, and the whole reason behind the Feuding Families is that one of the parents died in despair because both bakeries put out a special cake and the Yamato bakery got the higher amount of sales because the cake had novelty ears on it (he even goes as far as make his last words "the Yamatos killed me"). Justified in that both bakeries were desperate for sales at the time and the Yamatos winning meant the Ninomiyas went through a temporal money crunch.
- We Named the Monkey Jack: Subverted. It was a pun filled coincidence that the baby chick was named Keisuke.
- Shout-Out: To Romeo and Juliet. Thankfully it averts the worse of the Whole Plot Reference.