"No, I really can't look at her. She's glowing, for God's sake. It's like staring at the sun!"
An Abridged Series
of Rose of Versailles
. This series not only mocks the usual abridging targets, but the whole genre of period Anime
, and period fiction in general. Also tends to center on tropes even more than a typical abridged series, and sometimes even makes Oscar more Genre Savvy
than simply complaining about the tropes the writers make her go through.
This show provides examples of:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Bishōnen: Lampshaded by Oscar. "Dudes can sparkle".
- Bi the Way: Oscar blurts out she's bisexual to Marie, because it makes more sense than the original line, or at least the translation of it.
- Brain Bleach: When a prostitute hired to impersonate Marie for a cardinal notes she could just sleep with him, Jeanne says the image is just too horrible to think about.
- British Accents: It has to, since most period works have them.
- Captain Obvious: The crowds at Versailles wondering why they are saying things they already know.
- Crosses the Line Twice: Spoofed In-Universe. In Episode 11, a villain becomes so full of hate and darkness that he is struck by lightning and takes the live-action form of the villain from Schindler's List, just to mock how over the top his villainy was in the actual series.
- Discussed Trope: Maria Theresa discusses the rules for writing a period anime.
- Dramatic Shattering: Discussed by Maria Theresa.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Marie Antoinette explicitly thinks her life will be like this.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Marie and Oscar each claim to be the most sparkly character on the show.
- Faux To Guide: The rules for period anime.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Discussed by Maria Theresa.
- Incurable Cough of Death: Discussed by Maria Theresa.
- Les Yay: Of course made more blatant here than in the series.
- Melodrama: Probably the most parodied thing in the series.
- Mook Chivalry: Oscar mocks the mooks for being careful to attack prominent characters one at a time.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Oscar's sense that tells her Marie is doing something dumb.
- No Export for You: Mocked in a promo for the series.
- Once an Episode: Maria Theresa's rules.
- Orwellian Editor: "Oscar has always been a pistol duelist! And we have always been at war with Eurasia!"
- Personal Dictionary: The Duke of Orleans, aka Light Guitar Hero, insists that Oscar is a whore, no matter how much others point out she doesn't fit the definition of a prostitute.
- Please Spare Him, My Liege!: "These aren't the criminals you're looking for!"
- The Queen's Latin: Discussed by Oscar and Andre
- Royally Screwed Up: Mocking the conventions at Versailles.
- Rule of Drama: Discussed by Maria Theresa.
- Stupid Sexy Oscar
- That's What She Said
- These Questions Three