Born September 5, 1973. Known early in her career for such movies as The Doom Generation
and Scream (1996)
, she's had a resurgence in popularity with the TV show Charmed
, as the fourth sister brought in when Prue died, and her dual
roles in Grindhouse
This actress contains examples of:
- Acting for Two: Played two different characters in Grindhouse, Pam (the blond party girl) in Death Proof and Cherry Darling (the go-go dancer) in Planet Terror. Notable in that three other actors from Planet Terror played the same characters briefly in Death Proof, as well as two other actors playing different characters like her.
- Actor Allusion: Her one scene in the film Nowhere was with her Charmed sister Shannen Doherty, whom she never had any scenes with on the show.
- A retroactive example in the Charmed episode "The Jung and the Restless" where she wonders why she can't dream about "someone cool, like a Quentin Tarantino. A Tarantino film would end up being her first post-Charmed role.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Has been all three colors but notable on Charmed that she cycled through all four in her first few seasons. Was black in season 4, red in 5, blonde in 6 and brown in 7 and 8.
- But Not Too Foreign: Is actually Italian-American but looks very pale, largely due to also being half Irish. Interestingly, her on-screen sister Alyssa Milano is also Italian-American.
- But Not Too White: Averted. She's well known for her pale complexion and it suits her wonderfully.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dyeing for Your Art: Dyed her hair blonde for Scream (1996). Averted for Death Proof as she simply wore a wig.
- Dye Hard: Naturally brunette but she does often change things up.
- Fake American: She was born and raised in Italy, but has spent most of her life in America. She can still speak the language though.
- Guest Host: McGowan cohosted The Essentials on Turner Classic Movies in 2008.
- Heroes Want Redheads: A large amount of her fans prefer her with the red hair.
- Ms. Fanservice: More so early in her career.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: Felt this way with how Paige was written in Charmed season 5. Paige would be seen with a different guy each episode. She claimed that after her only scene with one love interest was a raunchy moment on the couch, she went to the writers and said "Paige isn't a ho".
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Her Belfast accent in Fifty Dead Men Walking is awful.
- Older than They Look: Would you say she was close to 40?
- Parental Abandonment: Got herself emancipated at 14 years old.
- Perky Goth: Somewhat subverted. Definitely unflappable.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Definitely in season 4 of Charmed. It's no coincidence she played a vampire in that season.
- Romance on the Set: With Robert Rodriguez on Grindhouse.
- Stripperiffic: Some of her more outrageous Charmed outfits, such as the Valkyrie and wood nymph. Justified in Planet Terror, as she plays go-go dancer Cherry Darling.
- Type Casting: She's always the deadpan snarker. Really, because that's who she is in real life.