Romance on the Set
They posed for this shot, but they weren't acting.
A couple falls in love while working on a movie or TV show or album or tour together (sometimes another work), possibly even getting married and/or having kids. Seems to have a high breakup rate, but there are some long-lasting relationships that started this way.
What is actually being filmed is largely irrelevant. They're often a couple onscreen as well—when you spend all day pretending to be in love with someone, you may end up Becoming the Mask
. However, it doesn't always happen that way. The point of the trope is that behind the scenes the two fall for each other.
is a Sub-Trope
, which is about a male movie director falling in love with his lead actress. Cast Incest
is another subtrope, namely the first type where the couple met while playing relatives, which adds a level of Squick
before further thought reveals that it's no different from any other role.
In live theatre circles, the phenomenon is known as a "showmance."
Compare Actor Shipping
, where the fans want
this to happen.
open/close all folders
- Model Kate Upton and pitcher Justin Verlander began to date after meeting on the set of a commercial for MLB 2 K 12.
- Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz on the set of Dream House. This led to Weisz's breakup with Darren Aronofsky and Craig's breaking off his engagement. Weisz and Craig married a few months later.
- They had known each other for some time before the film, however.
- Director Tim Burton met his current partner Helena Bonham-Carter during the filming of the 2001 Planet of the Apes. They currently live in England with a son and a daughter.
- Helena Bonham-Carter was in a relationship with Kenneth Branagh, with whom she became involved during the filming of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
- Shown in the picture, Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal fell in love while filming The Fountainhead. But Cooper was married at the time (and divorce was not so easy then), so this was doomed from the start.
- Tom Hanks met Rita Wilson while filming Bosom Buddies, but they fell in love while filming Volunteers.
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez started dating while filming Gigli and the film was rewritten to take advantage of that. Didn't turn out well for the relationship or the movie.
- Ben Affleck had better luck with Jennifer Garner while filming Daredevil (though they starred in Pearl Harbor together before that). They're married and have three children.
- Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward fell in love while filming The Long Hot Summer. They married soon after and remained so until Newman's death in 2008. They are still cited today as one of the rare examples of a Hollywood marriage that actually lasts.
- The two leads of Space Mutiny, the alleged sci-fi pastiche which worked so well that Mystery Science Theater 3000 did an episode about it, are still married after falling in love while filming it.
- Charlie Chaplin appears to have had affairs with or married several of his co-stars.
- Angelina Jolie with Jonny Lee Miller on Hackers, with Billy Bob Thornton on Pushing Tin, and with Brad Pitt on Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The last one was particularly scandalous, as Pitt was married to Jennifer Aniston at the time. In addition, she had a somewhat less-publicised romance with Jenny Shimizu, who she starred alongside in Foxfire.
- Brad Pitt has a history of dating co-stars.
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux on the set of Wanderlust, which effectively ended Justin's relationship with his long-term girlfriend. They are now engaged.
- Perhaps the most (in)famous example is the affair between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton during Cleopatra. Popular opinion says their relationship killed all of the on-screen chemistry.
- Paul Hogan met his wife on the set of Crocodile Dundee. She was his co-star, Linda Kozlowski. His wife at the time (Noeleen Hogan) was not pleased.
- John Travolta and Kelly Preston got married a few years after filming The Experts.
- Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in Days Of Thunder.
- Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon, in Bull Durham.
- Warren Beatty and Annette Bening married shortly after Bugsy. Beatty dated co-stars, including Natalie Wood (Splendor in the Grass), Goldie Hawn (Shampoo), Diane Keaton (Reds) and Madonna (Dick Tracy).
- According to the DVD commentary of Ferris Buellers Day Off, not only did the actors playing the parents end up getting married, but Matthew Broderick was dating Jennifer Grey while the movie was being filmed.
- Humphrey Bogart and a 19-year-old Lauren Bacall, To Have And Have Not. They called each other by their nicknames from the film in Real Life from then on, as well. (For example, Bogart called Bacall "Slim".) That was a romance that did last; their marriage only ended when Bogart died of cancer.
- Bogart met and married his costar in Marked Woman, Mayo Methot. He left her for Bacall.
- Drew Barrymore and Tom Green from the first Charlie's Angels movie.
- Drew Barrymore and Justin Long dated for awhile after making He's Just Not That Into You. They're still good friends.
- Rachel Ward and Bryan Brown after The Thorn Birds, they're still married after 30 years.
- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova on Once. They've since amicably split.
- Jessica Alba met her husband Cash Warren on the set of Fantastic Four (he was director Tim Story's assistant. Alba swore never to date any more actors after an abortive relationship with Mark Wahlberg). They have two children together.
- Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams in Brokeback Mountain until they had an amicable split a few months before his death.
- Diane Keaton and Al Pacino met during The Godfather, but didn't start dating until a few years later. They were on-and-off through the 70s and 80s before eventually breaking up for real.
- Diane Keaton and Woody Allen.
- Scott Wolf and Alyssa Milano dated for a while after filming the Double Dragon movie.
- Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart of the Twilight movie, much to the delight (and debate) of tabloids. According to Rob, he had a crush on Kristen and getting the chance to work with her was the main reason he signed up for the movie. And he was probably hoping to invoke this trope.
- David Arquette and Courteney Cox began dating while filming the first Scream movie, were engaged during the second, and were married by the third. (And separated by the fourth, but still, that's over a decade there.)
- Somewhere between this and The Muse are Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw, who met on Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
- Ewan McGregor met his wife on the set of Kavanagh QC where she was working as a designer.
- Peter Facinelli and Jennie Garth met on the set of the Made-for-TV Movie An Unfinished Affair in 1996. They got married in 2001, had three daughters, and filed for divorce in 2012. It's interesting since her character in the movie only struck up a relationship with his character to make his character's father jealous.
- Zach Braff and Natalie Portman dated during and shortly after making Garden State together. Braff also served as Writer and Director, so it's not unreasonable to assume that he cast her hoping for this result.
- Natalie Portman had a later romance on the set of Black Swan with the film's choreographer Benjamin Millepied. They're married and have a son together.
- Most couples in Philippine show business end up together.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar met on the set of I Know What You Did Last Summer, but didn't start dating until a few years later. They've been happily married since 2002.
- Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe on the set Proof Of Life, which contributed to her divorce from her previous romance on two sets, Dennis Quaid.
- Russell Crowe met his future wife on the set of The Crossing in 1990, but they didn't get together right away, and didn't get married until 2003.
- Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy dated after filming Just Married together. He broke up with her to get with his now-ex-wife Demi Moore.
- Jeff Bridges met his wife while filming Rancho Deluxe. The film was shot on an actual ranch where the future Mrs. Bridges was working as a maid, which makes this sort of a real live Cinderella story.
- Vincent Price and Coral Brown, on the set of Theater of Blood. Particularly ironic, given that he electrocutes her to death in the film.
- Ioan Gruffudd and Alice Evans met on the set of 102 Dalmatians, started dating, and are currently married.
- Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan met while filming Step Up, and are also now married.
- Tobey Maguire had a couple. First, he and Kirsten Dunst hooked up while filming Spider-Man. Then, he met his jewelry designer wife on the set of Seabiscuit
- Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield, stars of the Spider-Man reboot are dating.
- Jensen Ackles and Danneel Harris, who co-starred in Ten Inch Hero, became engaged, and eventually married.
- Dev Patel and Freida Pinto became a couple while filming Slumdog Millionaire. Pinto was engaged to someone else at the time, but broke it off.
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth had been dating since filming The Last Song and were engaged until 2013.
- Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn during Woman of the Year. They did nine films together. Tracy, a devout Catholic, refused to divorce his wife, but nevertheless he and Hepburn were together and absolutely devoted to each other for twenty-five years, until his death in 1967.
- Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith met on the set of Two Much and later got married. Ironically, in the movie, she was his Romantic False Lead.
- Robert Downey, Jr. met Susan Levin while filming Gothika, which she produced. The two later married in 2005 and she has produced most of his movies since.
- Ariana Grande met her former boyfriend Graham Phillips in 13.
- Tia Mowry met her husband while they were making Hollywood Horror.
- Sorsha and Madmartigan in Willow hooked up in real life. Val Kilmer married Joanne Whalley, who added the hyphenate "Kilmer" to her name. They had two kids together but divorced after a couple of years.
- Peter Lorre and Kaaren Verne on the set of All Through The Night, but both were married to other people at the time. They eventually got together a few years later, but that marriage only lasted five years (the divorce was amicable, however).
- Harry Hamlin and Ursula Andress during the original Clash of the Titans.
- Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh met and fell in love on the set of Fire Over England.
- Claire Danes: twice. First with Billy Crudup. They met while dubbing Princess Mononoke, and started dating after filming Stage Beauty (causing a lot of controversy because Crudup left his pregnant girlfriend Mary-Louise Parker for Claire). The two later broke up, and Claire married Hugh Dancy after filming Evening.
- Shia LaBeouf and co-star Carey Mulligan on the set of Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.
- Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams during The Notebook.
- Rachel McAdams and Michael Sheen during Midnight in Paris
- Ryan Phillippe dated several co-stars, and fathered a child with one.
- Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal on the set of Rendition.
- While filming The Turning Point, James Mitchell, who played the choreographer, partnered up with the film's costume designer, Albert Wolsky. They were still together when Mitchell died over three decades later.
- Laura Dern has dated a number of her co-stars, including Kyle MacLachlan, Jeff Goldblum, and Billy Bob Thornton.
- Even though they didn't share any scenes whatsoever, Eli Roth and Rosario Dawson briefly dated while filming Death Proof.
- And she's now dating her Trance director Danny Boyle, of all people.
- Julia Roberts was briefly engaged to two of her co-stars: Dylan McDermott after filming Steel Magnolias and Keifer Sutherland after Flatliners. Then she hooked up with cameraman Danny Moder on the set of The Mexican. Even though she was dating someone and he was married at the time, they ended up getting married a couple of years later and are still together.
- Jim Carrey met his second wife, Lauren Holly, when she played his one-sided romantic interest in Dumb and Dumber. They were married for about two years. He later dated another on-screen love interest, Renee Zellweger. They dated for roughly a year.
- In order to increase the realism, the director of Time After Time kept Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen from meeting until the scene when their characters did. It worked better than he expected; they fell in love while filming, married, and then divorced about a decade later.
- Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick met during the PBS American Playhouse production of Lemon Sky and married the following year. That one's still going strong.
- According to Shia Lebeouf, he and Megan Fox hooked up while filming Transformers.
- Jamie Campbell Bower and Bonnie Wright met during the Harry Potter film production and dated from 2009 to 2012.
- Pauly Shore and Kylie Minogue on the set of Bio Dome.
- Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz got together after making Vicky Cristina Barcelona and are now married with a son. Before that, Penelope had a relationship with Tom Cruise after the two of them worked on Vanilla Sky together.
- Taylor Lautner has had a couple: He dated Taylor Swift after the two of them filmed Valentine's Day and then he and Lily Collins briefly dated after filming Abduction.
- Kate Hudson divorced her current husband and got together with Owen Wilson while filming You Me And Dupree.
- Liev Schrieber and Naomi Watts got together during the making of The Painted Veil; they're still together and have two kids.
- While filming Underworld, Kate Beckinsale split from partner (and co-star) Michael Sheen to hook up with the director, Len Wiseman. Beckinsale is now Happily Married to Wiseman and has a healthy relationship with Sheen, the father of her daughter.
- Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively got together while making Green Lantern, and are now married.
- Jennifer Connelly met Paul Bettany on the set of A Beautiful Mind. They're still married.
- Keira Knightley and Rupert Friend dated for a few years after making Pride and Prejudice together.
- Roy Rogers and Dale Evans met while filming a movie together called "The Cowboy and the Senorita."
- During the commentary for Star Wars: A New Hope, Carrie Fisher mentions that Mark Hamill had a crush on her. Given a lot of photos◊ from◊ that◊ time◊, it doesn't seem unreasonable.
- Shane West and Mandy Moore got together while filming A Walk to Remember.
- Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger on the set of The Marrying Man.
- Casper Van Dien got together with Catherine Oxenberg while filming The Collectors they got married a few years later.
- Milla Jovovich hooked up with her director Luc Besson during filming on The Fifth Element; they were married that year (1997) and divorced two years. She later got together with Paul WS Anderson in the course of the first Resident Evil movie - they're now married with children.
- Rosanna Arquette had an affair with Jean-Marc Barr, her co-star in The Big Blue; not only did this result in the breakup of her marriage to film composer (including two of her own movies!) James Newton Howard, but the affair was short-lived.
- While making Van Helsing, Richard Roxburgh (Dracula) met and fell in love with Italian actress Silvia Colloca (Dracula's bride Verona), and they got married later that year. The couple have two sons.
- Writer-director Andrew Niccol fell in love with Rachel Roberts on the set of S1m0ne and married her. In the film, the director played by Al Pacino becomes obsessed with the synthetic eponymous actress, played by Roberts.
- Ali Mac Graw dumped producer Robert Evans for Steve McQueen while they were filming The Getaway.
- Actress Catherine Hicks and Special Effects Technician Kevein Yagher met at the wrap party for Childs Play and got married in 1990.
- George Harrison and Pattie Boyd, who was an extra in A Hard Day's Night. They were married a good ten years before she left him for Eric Clapton...
- ...but his fellow Beatle Ringo Starr had better luck when he married Barbara Bach, who played his love interest in Caveman. They're still together.
- Rumor has it, Kristanna Loken and Michelle Rodriguez on the set of Bloodrayne.
- Fred Vogel met his future wife Shelby Jackson while the two were making August Undergrounds Mordum.
- Anna Faris and Ben Indra on Lovers Lane.
- America Olivo and Christian Campbell got engaged while working on Neighbor, a film in which she spends most of the running time torturing him horribly, at one point shoving a chopstick up his urethra. Chinese food dinners must be awkward.
- Lea Thompson met her husband Howard Deutch on the set of Some Kind of Wonderful. He also directed an episode of her show Caroline In The City. They currently have two daughters.
- Joel Coen met Frances McDormand on the set of The Coen Brothers' first film, Blood Simple. She became his muse and they have been married ever since. Lampshaded by her when she won an Academy Award for her role in Fargo: "Years of sleeping with the director have paid off."
- Amanda Seyfried met Dominic Cooper on the set of Mamma Mia! and dated for two years before splitting due to her living in the States and him staying in the UK.
- The B-movie Ghost Rig is an Old Shame for Jamie Bamber, but given that he met his wife while working on it, it couldn't have been all bad—they've been Happily Married for ten years and are the parents of three beautiful girls.
- Anna Friel and David Thewlis, on the set of Timeline.
- Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner, on the set of Hanky Panky. They married a couple of years later, and their marriage lasted until Radner died.
- Lucille Ball met Desi Arnaz while making the film version of Too Many Girls.
- Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult began dating after appearing in X-Men: First Class and later split... only to rekindle upon shooting the sequel.
- In the short story "Who Am I This Time?" by Kurt Vonnegut, the main character completely takes on the persona of whatever character he performs in the community play. A beautiful but socially awkward woman, when performing A Streetcar Named Desire with him, falls in passionate love with his persona. By living a life of Romance on the Set through various plays, they become Happily Married.
- In-Universe in Redshirts, Jenkins, whose wife had been Redshirted years before, sends a love letter to the actress who played her in Chronicles of the Intrepid when Dahl and the others go to the real world. In one of the epilogues, it is implied that she then ends up in a relationship with the actor who played him.
- In the commentary for The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Professor Dumbledore mentions the unfortunate casting choices in a theatrical version of the story The Fountain of Fair Fortune - the students playing "Amata" and "Sir Luckless" had been dating until "one hour before the curtain rose," at which point "Sir Luckless" dumped "Amata" for the girl who was playing "Asha."
- Josh Duhamel met his future wife Fergie when the Black Eyed Peas guest starred on his show 'Las Vegas'.
- Doctor Who has had quite a few:
- Tom Baker and Lalla Ward, on Doctor Who. They eventually got divorced after 16 months. Eagle-eyed viewers can play along at home noting whether or not Tom and Lalla got along at the time of shooting their scenes. There are noticeable moments when the two of them absolutely refuse to look at each other.
- Averted with him and Elisabeth Sladen who once, after noticing how well they got along on set, asked Tom out for drinks, only to "spend forty-five minutes awkwardly staring at each other, downing their drinks and leaving." This was not romantic, however, as Sladen was already married to her Romance On The Set, Brian Miller, whom she had met at the Liverpool Playhouse and whom she married in 1968. (They remained together, happily so, until her untimely death in 2011.) Tom Baker would later state that he'd had an "actor's crush" on Lis, as happens between people who work closely together, but he knew not to take it seriously.
- David Tennant has dated several of his Doctor Who guest stars. In fact, he's married to and has a daughter and a stepson / and now officially adopted son with Georgia Moffett, who's the real-life daughter of fifth Doctor Peter Davison, and who played Tennant's daughter (well, "genetic clone") on the show. That's right, there is a kid out there that has the Doctor as her father and grandfather. (Yes, the Doctor's daughter played the Doctor's daughter and then had the Doctor's daughter. Try to get your mind around that!)
- Another one was Tennant and Sophia Myles, who appeared in series 2's "The Girl In the Fireplace."
- Another Doctor Who example: Frazer Hines (Jamie) and Deborah Watling (Victoria) briefly dated during their time together on the show.
- Alexander Siddig and Nana Visitor married during the run of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, had a child together, and have since divorced.
- Alyson Hannigan and Alexis Denisof, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (Actually they decided not to date while they were still on the same show, and got together once he moved to Angel.) They're now Happily Married with two daughters.
- Also, Amber Benson (who played Tara) and Adam Busch (who played Warren who killed Tara). This led to a funny moment when Joss told Adam "You're going to kill your girlfriend" and he replied "Warren gets a girlfriend?".
- Not a relationship, because she was 15-17 during her run on he show and he was 38-40, but it's an open secret that Michelle Trachtenberg (Dawn) had a crush on and openly flirted with James Marsters (Spike). There's debate about whether or not he reciprocated, but it all basically comes down to how you interpret his song "Dangerous," which he admits was written about her.
- According to Alexander Vlahos (Mordred), relationships have come out of BBC's Merlin. He never said who, though, so this has of course led to Actor Shipping extraordinaire. The only confirmed one is Bradley James (Arthur) and Georgia King (Elena).
- Bobcat Goldthwait and Nikki Cox, Unhappily Ever After
- Dominic Monaghan and Evangeline Lilly, LOST.
- Sean Bean met his third wife Abigail Cruttenden on the set of Sharpe. She played his second wife who eventually cheated on him and stole all his money. The marriage lasted three years.
- Kyle MacLachlan and Lara Flynn Boyle began dating after meeting on the set of Twin Peaks. Somewhat irritatingly, this has been cited as part of the reason why MacLachlan objected to the development of a romance between his character Cooper and Audrey, the series' Fan-Preferred Couple, leading to their relationship being stricken from the script.
- Singaporean celebrities and media darlings Fann Wong (from Shanghai Knights) and Christopher Lee (not that one), who have starred alongside each other in so many TV series that it wasn't until their tell-all special that fans knew which one they officially hooked up on the set in.
- Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco of The Big Bang Theory dated for a couple of years, but the general public didn't know about it until they broke up.
- Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan met when she guest starred on Family Ties, got together and are now married with four kids.
- Similarly, on Growing Pains; this is how Kirk Cameron and Chelsea Noble met and eventually married.
- Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens of High School Musical, though they split up in early 2011.
- Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter started dating almost as soon as they met on the set of Dexter. They got married, but later filed for divorce.
- Alexis Bledel & Milo Ventimiglia in Gilmore Girls. The chemistry between Rory and Jess became pretty obvious when he joined the show. They dated for nearly four years and broke up in 2006, coincidentally, around the same time that their characters say goodbye for the last time.
- The above-mentioned Mr. Ventimiglia more controversially went on to be a couple with his twelve-years-younger Heroes costar Hayden Panettiere. They didn't go public until she turned 18, but the rumor mill had linked them well before that. (Their onscreen chemistry, despite playing characters who were related, didn't help.) They later broke up.
- Will Smith met Jada Pinkett Smith when she auditioned for the role of his girlfriend on an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. She was denied the role on account of being too short, but she had bit parts on the series. Later on, after they got married, she played his wife, specifically in the film Ali.
- Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos met on the set of All My Children while playing each other's love interests. They've been happily married since 1996. (Incidentally, their characters eventually tied the knot as well.)
- Jack Wagner and Kristina Crump, portrayers of General Hospital's second Super Couple of Frisco Jones and Felicia Cummings, married in 1993, seven years after their characters did. Their marriage lasted thirteen years, though she still uses his name.
- Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush of One Tree Hill got married, but later split up.
- Bush also dated co-stars James Lafferty and Austin Nichols.
- Ben Stiller met his wife Christine Taylor while filming a pilot for a proposed Jack Black TV show, Heat Vision and Jack. (Ben was directing, Christine was acting.) They got married in 2000.
- Stargate SG-1: Michael Shanks and his on-screen (lost) wife had a child together in real life, then broke up. He subsequently met Lexa Doig on Andromeda; they married, and she came and worked on SG-1 with him a few years later. Strangely enough, the SG universe tends not to have off-screen romances amongst its (multitude of) leads.
- Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer of True Blood. They eventually married in August of 2010.
- Jesse Spencer and Jennifer Morrison of House, who were at one point engaged to be married but broke up before they made it to the altar. Curiously, their characters remained in a romantic relationship and actually did get married on screen (which must have been pretty awkward), although that ended in divorce.
- Jared Padalecki and Genevieve Cortese of Supernatural are now married.
- In The French Mistake, Sam and Dean are sent to a reality where their lives are a TV show, somehow replacing their own actors in the middle of a shoot. Their reactions to learning that Sam's actor is married to "Ruby" are...
- Lindsay Korman (Theresa Lopez-Fitzgerald Crane Winthrop) and Justin Hartley (Nicholas "Fox" Foxworthy Crane) met on the set of Passions. They married in 2004.
- James Roday and Maggie Lawson from Psych have been dating for a few years now.
- On Glee, Lea Michele (Rachel) and Cory Monteith (Finn) until his death; Mark Salling (Puck) and Naya Rivera (Santana) briefly dated as well. Stories and rumors of cast members hooking up are almost as varied and convoluted as on the show.
- Michael Brandon and Glynis Barber, who met playing the title roles of eighties British cop show Dempsey and Makepeace. They got married for real when the series ended and still are.
- Anna Torv and Mark Valley after their roles as partners and lovers in the Fringe pilot. They separated after a year of marriage.
- The Friends cast discussed this in a few interviews, saying they agreed early on not to get involved with each other. (Both for the sake of the show and because the whole gang were exceptionally close). They kept to the deal and the closest you got was Matt Leblanc admitting he had a brief crush on Jennifer Aniston when they started filming, and Matthew Perry's frequent jokes about his relationship with Courteney Cox.
Matthew Perry: "Its certainly a bad idea in general to, get in a relationship with somebody you work with ‘cause you’re gonna break up and then it’s gonna be bad, and you have to see the person everyday. But, y’know, I don’t wanna say that, and then, y’know, cut to 4 years from now, I’m married to Courteney Cox."
- In Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, Amy Miller (Trakeena) and Reggie Rolle (Damon) fell in love and then got married after filming the season. Apparently there were a few times when little boys who were fans of the show spotted them and got confused, wondering why a Power Ranger was with the Big Bad.
- In an interview, Johnny Young Bosch (Adam from MMPR, Zeo, and the first half of Turbo) admitted that he briefly dated Tracy Lynn Cruz (Ashley from the latter half of Turbo and Space) prior to her being cast. After Tracy landed the role—and a rather expensive Mustang from Johnny—, they split up.
- Milo Cawthorne (Ziggy) and Olivia Tennet (Dr. K) from Power Rangers RPM hooked up after filming, which is amusing since it's implied their characters did the same in the finale after a season filled with Belligerent Sexual Tension. They have since gotten married.
- Possibly even funnier is the case of Jungle Fury's Jason Smith (Casey) and Anna Hutchison (Lily), since Lily ended up with the other member of their Power Trio.
- Firass Dirani and Melanie Vallejo took the next step that Nick and Madison didn't. They've since split up, though.
- And one that crossed seasons: Emma Lahana (Dino Thunder's Kira) and Brandon Jay McLaren (SPD's Jack). They've also split up.
- In Super Sentai, this also happened between Ryouhei Kobayashi and Keiko Hayase (Fumiya and Remi Hoshikawa). The catch? Their characters were twins. There's also Kotaro Tanaka and Rika Kishida (Ryu Tendo and Kaori Rokumeikan)) who are married now. The funny thing is, their characters was the official couple of the series and they got married at the end of the series.
- Kevin Sorbo (Hercules) and Sam Jenkins from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (and later Andromeda, but they were married by then) are married with three kids.
- The cast of Saved by the Bell kept on dating each other on set to the point that the writers and the producers had to make sure that none of the cast members had a conflict with each other.
- Takeshi Sorimachi and Nanako Matsushima met on the set of the live-action adaptation of Great Teacher Onizuka in 1998, playing Onizuka and Fuyutsuki. They began dating after the series finished, and got married in 2001. They now have 2 daughters.
- Meredith Baxter and David Birney married after playing husband and wife in the early '70s sitcom Bridget Loves Bernie.
- Eddie Cibrian and LeAnn Rimes on the set of Northern Lights. (No, not that one.) This caused quite a stir when it was discovered, since both of them were married at the time. They have since divorced their respective spouses and married each other.
- Similarly, Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott. They also got together while filming a Lifetime movie (Mind Over Murder), despite both of them being married. They married each other mere weeks after their divorces were finalized.
- Erin Moran (Joanie) and Scott Baio (Chachi) on Happy Days, both on- and off-screen, for a brief period of time, ending around the time their spin-off Joanie Loves Chachi was made.
- Denzel Washington met his wife Paulette while they were filming Wilma.
- Alyssa Milano and Brian Krause dated from 2000 till 2001 while they both worked together on Charmed
- Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder are dating and working together on The Vampire Diaries
- Steven Mcqueen and Candice Accola also dated (Though their characters didn't interact much) and Paul Wesley's wife Torrey Devitto was brought in during season 3 as Meredith.
- From Brazilian television: Carlos Alberto Riccelli and Bruna Lombardi were the main romantic couple onscreen at the soap opera Aritana, and got married soon after the last chapter. This was in 1979, and they are still together, more than 30 years after. The actor and musician Kim Riccelli is the only son of the couple.
- Quite a few couples have met on the Gossip Girl set. So far the only confirmed ones have been Leighton Meester/Sebastian Stan, Blake Lively/Penn Badgley, and Ed Westwick/Jessica Szohr, but there's a lot of gossip, speculation and fans for any actor pairing.
- Molly Burnett (Melanie Jonas) and Casey Deidrick (Chad Dimera) started dating after meeting on the set of Days of Our Lives.
- Many believe that this is the reason that, after over two years of never interacting on the show, their characters are suddenly good friends and appear to be headed towards romance.
- Hugh Jackman met his wife Deborra-Lee Furness while filming the 1995 television drama Correlli. The show lasted one season. Their marriage, on the other hand, has been going strong since 1996 and shows no signs of slowing down.
- Kelly Coffield met her husband Steve Park, when both were cast members on In Living Color!.
- Broadway legend Patti LuPone met her husband Matt Johnston in 1987 on the set of the TV movie LBJ: The Early Years. She was playing Lady Bird Johnson, he was an assistant cameraman. She said in her memoir that she took one look at him and "said no in my head and yes in my heart." They're still married.
- Peter Herman had a stint as a defense attorney on Law And Order: SVU, which is how he met the show's lead actress Mariska Hargitay. They got married in 2004 and remain happily so.
- Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle began a relationship during the production of Pride and Prejudice, although ironically people only learned about it after it had ended.
- Colin Firth also had a romance on the set with Meg Tilly while filming Valmont and met his wife when they were filming the miniseries Nostromo.
- Both the romantic leads in The Thorn Birds met their future husbands when shooting the show.
- Rachel Ward married Bryan Brown, who played her abusive husband.
- Richard Chamberlain met his future life partner Martin Rabbet, who had a tiny part as a priest that broke his chastity vow.
- James McAvoy met Anne-Marie Duff on the set of UK show Shameless, they are married and have a son together.
- On The X-Files, Mitch Pileggi (Skinner) met his wife, Arlene Warren, on the set. She originally started out as Scully's stand-in and eventually became Skinner's secretary.
- Rob McEhenney and Kaitlin Olson met while co-starring in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. They're now married with two children.
- Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas, of Once Upon a Time. For those who don't watch the show, they play Snow White and Prince Charming. Yes, really. Jennifer Morrison and Sebastian Stan were also dating until 2013.
- Josh Dallas was formerly married to Lara Pulver, it's somewhat unclear when precisely they broke up and when he got with Ginnifer. Lara, however, is now dating Raza Jaffrey, her Spooks costar.
- On 24, Sarah Clarke (Nina Myers) met her future husband Xander Berkeley (George Mason) while working on the first season.
- Danny Huston and Olga Kurylenko hooked up on the set of Magic City and are still together.
- Andrew Lee Potts and Hannah Spearitt of Series/Primeval. Also Ben Miller and the actress playing Christine Johnson were married at the time of filming, though they were estranged so it probably doesn't count.
- On JAG, actor Patrick Labyorteaux (Bud) fell in love with production manager Tina Albanese.
- In Tinsel, Chuks and Ene get married in Season 4, and mid-way through the airing of Season 5, the actors Florence Uwaleke and Iyke Okechukwu get married for real.
- In Wizards of Waverly Place there was one between David Henrie and Lucy Hale, he asked his girlfriend for couple years to play his love interest on the series, who weirdly resembles his on-screen sister.
- Kate Upton and Justin Verlander met filming a commercial for MLB 2k12 together and dated briefly before breaking up.
- Sleeper Cell: Alex Nesic (Christian) and Melissa Sagemiller (Gayle) started dating during the first season. Later they married and have a son.
- WWE wrestler Triple H was dating Chyna, and then he got himself paired with Stephanie McMahon in late 1999, leading to her Establishing Character Moment/Moral Event Horizon Face-Heel Turn. A few months after defeating Ivory for the WWE Women's Title at WrestleMania X-7 in 2001, Chyna was unexpectedly written out of the show and quietly pushed out the door, apparently due to tensions between herself and Stephanie. In 2003, Triple H and Stephanie got married in real life. Whether his marriage is helping or hurting the company is heavily debated among fans.
- Chyna also dated Sean "X-Pac" Waltman for a time several years later.
- Notable that Triple H and Stephanie went through their entire on-screen relationship from start to finish before they began to date in real life. In one DVD interview, Triple H half-jokingly says that one reason for their happy marriage is that they got to do a dry run before the real thing.
- Debra McMichael was married to Steve McMichael before Steve got into Professional Wrestling, but then divorced him and got involved with Jeff Jarrett, then "Stone Cold" Steve Austin (whom she later married, and divorced)
- (In)Famously, Chris Benoit and his wife, Nancy. They fell in love during a storyline where they were having an affair behind the back of her then-husband, Kevin Sullivan - a storyline Sullivan wrote.
- Kayfabe being what it was back then, this storyline involved Chris and Nancy being seen at the same clubs, eating at the same restaurants, and even staying in the same hotel rooms, appearing to all the world as though they were the genuine article. The fact that they hooked up for real probably made Kevin Sullivan the only wrestler to ever be shockingly swerved by his own story. And given the... unpleasantness of a few years back, not a few conspiracy theorists armed with very-coincidental-but-still-interesting evidence have suggested that Sullivan may have been involved in the incident and staged it to look like a murder-suicide on Benoit's part. Writing his cheating wife and the man who stole her out of the picture, as it were.
- Matt Hardy was Amy "Lita" Dumas's boyfriend both on-screen and off, but she cheated on him in Real Life with Adam "Edge" Copeland (who cheated on his wife, thus breaking up his second marriage in barely five years. The first was to Sean "Val Venis" Morley's sister Alannah. WWE had intended to make an angle out of that, but it was scrapped after Val reportedly had taken too long to come back from a neck injury). You know what happened...
- Brock Lesnar met Sable during his 2003 run on SmackDown. Today, they are married.
- Drew McIntyre and Tiffany (Taryn Terrell), though they divorced after a year.
- Frankie Kazarian and Traci Brookshaw.
- The Undertaker and Michelle McCool.
- John Morrison and Melina (on and off).
- Billy Kidman and Torrie Wilson first got together in WCW after becoming a couple on-screen, then got married while they were in WWE, where they were never an on-screen couple (at their insistence). They have since divorced.
- CM Punk dated Daffney Unger and later Traci Brooks during his time in Ring of Honor. Then, while in OVW, dated Maria Kanellis, but they split up due to WWE moving them to two separate brands (there are also rumors of him having an affair with Kelly Kelly around this time). Then, he briefly dated Lita. Then, he started a long term relationship with Beth Phoenix, which ended by 12/2011. He seems to have gotten back together with Lita due to them making a lot of public appearances together since Wrestlemania.
- Punk has also reportedly had a fling with Mickie James and in 2013 started dating AJ Lee whose idol is Lita so Punk dated AJ and her idol in the same year. He has seen gotten engaged to AJ.
- Lita's ex Edge is dating Punk's ex, Beth Phoenix, later having a child with her. All these people date in circles.
- Batista seems to have dated almost as many coworkers as CM Punk, having had brief relationships with Melina, Kelly Kelly, and Rosa Mendes.
- In TNA, there's Jeff Jarrett and Karen Angle, Kurt Angle's wife. After Karen's divorce from Kurt, she married Jeff (who lost his last wife, Jill, to cancer) in real life.
- The Miz and Maryse are engaged to be married.
- The entire two-year feud between Tommy Dreamer and Raven in 1995-1997 was fueled by the simple premise of Raven hating Dreamer going back to when they were kids and Dreamer had been mean to Beulah McGillicutty when she was the fat girl at summer camp. Beulah debuted as a Heel at ECW Hostile City Showdown in April 1995. At House Party 96, January 5, announcer Joey Styles was trying to conduct an in-ring interview with Beulah and Raven's flunkies Stevie Richards and The Blue Meanie in which Beulah annnounced she was "pregnant." Raven proceeded to beat up Stevie and the Meanie until Beulah said, "It's Tommy's!," thus turning herself Face. Dreamer ran in and beat up Raven, including piledriving him on a STOP sign and a blueberry pie. Dreamer and Beulah would remain a couple on-screen and off until she left in Summer 1998 after The Dudley Boys broke her neck with a Dudley Death Drop. Dreamer, real name Thomas Laughlin, and Francine (Fournier), Beulah (Trisa Hayes)'s Arch-Enemy both on-screen and off, would have a relationship offscreen until Laughlin apparently changed his mind and went back to Hayes. Reportedly, Fournier was angry enough about this that Laughlin and Hayes had to have extra security at their wedding. This was what Joey was referring to when he said that Dreamer had "scorned" Francine, following Francine's interference in the Dreamer/Sandman-Dudley Boys main event at ECW One Night Stand, June 12, 2005.
- Daniel Bryan and Brie Bella have been dating each other for two years, and are engaged.
- John Cena is currently dating the other Bella Twin (Nikki).
- In his autobiography A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex, Chris Jericho claimed to have dated Kimona Wanalaya while in ECW in 1996 and two unidentified members of the Nitro Girls (a dance troupe who would entertain the crowds between matches and going into and coming out of commercial breaks on WCW Monday Nitro from 1997-1999), though none of these situations carried over into the storylines.
- Ivory dated Shane "Hurricane" Helms offscreen in 2001 when he came in from WCW, the year she turned 40 and he was 27.
- Mickie James and Magnus.
- Jimmy Uso and Naomi are engaged.
- Faith Hill opened for Tim McGraw during his 1996 Spontaneous Combustion tour. He proposed right before a performance one night, and they married shortly after the tour ended. They're arguably country music's most famous couple currently alive.
- As for country music's most famous couple ever, Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. The Carter Family performed with Cash for a few years and, in 1968, during a live performance in Ontario, Cash proposed to her. They remained married till her death in 2003, four months before Cash himself died.
- Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins got together with Jessica of The Veronicas while helping on their third album.
- The Notorious B.I.G. met his future wife, R&B singer Faith Evans, at a photoshoot for Bad Boy Records artists.
- Fleetwood Mac and The Mamas And The Papas were both eaten up with bandcest.
- In an unfortunate example, bassist Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe slept with the only female member the band ever had, touring drummer Samantha Maloney, and almost broke up his marriage with Baywatch star Donna D'Errico because of it (they did eventually divorce several years later).
- Lacey Moseley of Flyleaf and Joshua Sturm of Kairos
- Most of the members of the band Eisley (who, btw, are all siblings or cousins to one another) married partners in the music biz. Vocalist Stacy Dupree married Darren King, drummer for Mutemath; guitarist Sherri Dupree married Max Bemis, frontman of Say Anything and is the ex-wife of Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory; drummer Weston is married to Jessie Munns of Luvbeat; and guitarist Chauntelle Dupree was formerly engaged to Adam Lazzara of Taking Back Sunday and ended up marrying guitar maker Todd D'Augustino. The bassist, Garron Dupree, is the only member not married to someone in the industry (yet).
- David Vincent of Morbid Angel married Gen, frontwoman for Genitorturers.
- Karen Fairchild and Jimi Westbrook of Little Big Town married in 2006, but didn't tell their two bandmates until two months later.
- Kim Crosby and Robert Westenberg met while appearing in Into the Woods (playing Cinderella and her Prince respectively). While the characters broke up by the end of the play, the actors married and remain happily so.
- Orfeh and Andy Karl, the original Paulette and Kyle the UPS guy of Legally Blonde: The Musical, are Happily Married, after having their own romance on the set while performing in the musical adaptation of Saturday Night Fever.
- Rent has a couple examples: Taye Diggs and Idina Menzel are the most well-known and have been together since the play's original run in 1996 (they got married in 2003). Also, Wilson Jermaine Heredia (Angel) dated his makeup artist while filming The Movie.
- In the play's 2007 Australian run, Anthony Callea (Mark) and Tim Campbell (Roger) became a couple, adding a fun layer to the Ho Yay between the characters.
- William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman met during their stint with the Atlantic Theater Company and remain happily married to this day.
- Cate Blanchett met her playwright/screenwriter husband Andrew Upton while she was performing in a production of The Seagull. According to her, "He thought I was aloof and I thought he was arrogant. It just shows you how wrong you can be, but once he kissed me that was that."
- Referenced by a Shakespearean actor who was asked if he thought Hamlet had slept with Ophelia. He replied "Never on the West End, maybe on tour."
- Stephen McGann played Dominic in Shamrocks and Crocodiles at the National Theatre, where he met playwright Heidi Thomas. Over twenty years later, she's head screenwriter on Call the Midwife, where he's playing Dr Turner. They're still happily married.
- In the original Broadway production of "A Little Night Music", ingenues Victoria Mallory and Mark Lambert, whose characters realize at the end that they love each other and then run away together, snuck off between shows one day to get married. Not only is the marriage still strong, their daughter Ramona recently played her mother's role in a major Broadway revival!
- On the 25th anniversary tour of Les Misérables, barricade boys Jason Forbach (Feuilly) and Joe Spieldenner (Grantaire) began dating. When Forbach took over as Enjolras partway through the tour, showcasing the pair's chemistry, the delighted cries of Enjolras×Grantaire shippers could be heard 'round the world. They're now engaged.
- Lindsey Ellis (The Nostalgia Chick) and Todd Nathanson (Todd in the Shadows). In-universe, this has been translated to the Chick having an obsessive and completely unrequited interest in him, while he continues stalking Obscurus Lupa.
- There have been several Channel Awesome couples, including Lupa and Phelous, and Nash and JO.
- Paul Schuler and Elisa Hansen (who plays Maven of the Eventide, Dr. Tease and the Makeover Fairy in the Nostalgia Chick's videos) got engaged on the 5th of November, 2012, and are now married and expecting a kid.
- At least one couple in We Are All Pokémon Trainers have ended up in a relationship just like their characters.
- The French voices of Homer and Marge in The Simpsons (Veronique Augereau and Philippe Peytieu) end up married for real.
- The voices of Kif Kroker and Amy Wong in the Latin American dub of Futurama are a married couple.
- Wayne Allwine and Russi Taylor, the voices of Mickey and Minnie Mouse, were Happily Married until Allwine's death.
- Slightly one-sided with Recess: Jason Davis, who played Mikey, had a crush on Ashley Johnson, who played Gretchen, when the show was on. In the show itself, there's no shipping.