, only based around rock/pop music and those who perform it, officially known as a video album. These can be an analysis of the culture or industry surrounding music or can focus on a single band. This naturally overlaps with the concert film or live DVD.
The exact distinction of a Rockumentary can be difficult to draw. A full-blown live show wouldn't count unless it contains an actual documentary portion (observations, interviews, hand-held-camera sections, history etc.) A concert inter cut with backstage footage and documentary-like segments would be borderline.
Also see Wikipedia
's article on it
Rockumentaries about bands:
- AC/DC, Family Jewels.
- Anvil The Story Of Anvil.
- The Band, The Last Waltz.
- Barenaked Ladies, Barenaked In America.
- The Beatles, Let It Be.
- blur, No Distance Left to Run.
- Jeff Buckley, Amazing Grace
- The Decemberists, A Practical Handbook
- Disturbed, M.O.L., D.O.D..
- The Doors, When You're Strange
- Duran Duran, Sing Blue Silver, Three to Get Ready, Extraordinary World
- Bob Dylan, Don't Look Back.
- Flaming Lips, The Fearless Freaks
- Foo Fighters, Back and Forth.
- Genesis, Come Rain or Shine.
- Insane Clown Posse, Shockumentary
- Iron Maiden, 12 Wasted Years, The Early Days, Flight 666.
- Jean Michel Jarre, Making the Steamroller Fly (can be found on the Oxygen in Moscow live VHS/DVD)
- Kiss, Kiss Loves You.
- Korn, Who Then Now?.
- Led Zeppelin, The Song Remains the Same.
- Linkin Park, Frat Party at the Pankake Festival
- Madonna, Truth or Dare.
- Metallica, Some Kind of Monster.
- The Minutemen, We Jam Econo.
- Oasis, Lord Don't Slow Me Down.
- Ozzy Osbourne, God Bless Ozzy Osbourne.
- Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam 20.
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Runnin' Down A Dream.
- Phish, Bittersweet Motel, Specimens of Beauty
- Pink Floyd, Live at Pompeii (not a live DVD despite the name).
- Pixies, loudQUIETloud
- Queen, Days Of Our Lives.
- Radiohead, Meeting People Is Easy.
- The Ramones, End of the Century
- The Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter, Shine a Light
- Rush, Beyond the Lighted Stage
- Sex Gang Children, Bastard Art.
- Sigur Rós, Heima
- Slipknot, Welcome to our Neighborhood.
- Soulwax, Part of the Weekend Never Dies
- Sting, Bring On The Night.
- The Swell Season, The Swell Season.
- Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense (which contains no Talking Heads, ironically enough. Actually a straight concert film that is only counted as a rockumentary because it is so acclaimed and influential).
- Tegan And Sara, It's Not Fun. Don't Do It!
- They Might Be Giants, Gigantic: A Tale Of Two Johns.
- The Who, The Kids Are Alright, Amazing Journey.
- Wilco, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.
Rockumentaries about the music:
- It Might Get Loud (a documentary on the electric guitar featuring Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge).
- Heavy Metal Parking Lot
- Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
- Until the Light Takes Us
- Heavy: The Story of Metal
- Heavy Metal: Louder than Life
- The Decline of Western Civilization
- The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years
- Kill Your Idols (name based on the song by Sonic Youth).
- Long Way to the Top: Stories of Australian Rock & Roll
- Made in Sheffield
- Sound City