"This is made not for little girls who kiss posters goodnight, but for those who lick them."Robert Pattinson
— Empire Magazine on the Robsessed DVD.
(born 13th May, 1986) is an English actor who first rose to prominence with his role in the Film of the Book
, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
as Cedric Diggory before achieving fame almost overnight as Edward Cullen in the film adaptations of Twilight
. He's working on a few other projects as well, notably The Rover
and Maps To The Stars
This actor provides examples of:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Invoked by himself.
- He views Edward as a creepy stalker that hates himself, and plays him as such.
- And related to the man himself, there are those that are convinced he was the one that leaked Midnight Sun.
- The Cast Showoff: He's also a musician and contributed a couple songs to the Twilight soundtrack. He also had composer Carter Burwell teach him the piano piece "Bella's Lullaby" so he could actually play it instead of faking playing while that scene was filmed.
- Hatedom: Pattinson is the rare actor who is a member of the Hatedom of his own franchise. It's common Tumblr wisdom that "nobody hates Twilight more than Rob Pattinson hates Twilight."
- It's telling when he says that his interpretation of Edward is one of a socially maladjusted loser.
- I Am Not Spock: Twice! First as Cedric in Harry Potter, but then that was eclipsed by his role as Edward in Twilight. Notably, he is the only child actor from the former franchise to avert this so far.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Most people who hate Twilight still like him due to his constant snarky comments on the series and the fact that he is a lot more lively than his vampire alter ego.
- Money, Dear Boy: Half the reason he's doing Twilight at all. The other half is the chance to hit on Kristen Stewart.
- Name's the Same: No, he doesn't work for the Southport Visiter. That's another one, not the Twilight actor!
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: He actually has a pretty decent American accent, but he does slip at times.
- This Loser Is You: His interpretation of Edward is this trope, portraying him as a socially maladjusted loser who has No Social Skills. Not that it stopped the fangirls.