"Oh, that is it! Two can play at this extremely nerdy game! [...] "And that's why I like ALL them Star Tracks!"...said Strong Sad, an entire bag of Twizzlers falling out of his mouth."in the way of the writer's pairing of choice. Another name for it is Anti Fic, although this term implies a degree of clever and biting satire. This type of fic is more commonly referred to as Bashing Fic. In some circles (such as the Anime Fan Fiction Mailing List), the term "Revenge Fic" can also refer to a story wherre the characters step out of the fictional realm to inflict some kind of revenge on the fanfiction author for the things he or she made them do. This can be a variety of Meta Fic, and somewhat impinges on and overlaps with the conceit of Animated Actors. If this is done by the original author, it might be Derailing Love Interests or a form of Creator Backlash. If done by a different official author in the same franchise, see Armed with Canon. If this is done because the character is in the way of the writer's pairing of choice, it's a case of Die for Our Ship. Can be closely allied to Oh Crap! There Are Fanfics of Us.... If it's for an entire series rather than a single character, it's a Hate Fic. Related to Take That, Scrappy!
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- There is a fic in which Syaoran from Cardcaptor Sakura grew up to be a wife beater, and Tomoyo called in a favor from her mother to have him killed in a hit-and-run. Also, at the height of Eriol/Tomoyo's popularity, it was not uncommon to find fics where Kaho, Eriol's official Love Interest was put through a Humiliation Conga that only started with Eriol dumping her for Tomoyo amid cheers from the rest of the cast. One particularly ridiculous fic said, as "justification" for all the torture, that Kaho was too tall for Eriol. Yes, a woman being taller than her boyfriend apparently makes it all right for everyone to abandon her when she's kidnapped.
- In Death Note fandom, Near, Misa, L, and Light are the most common targets for this treatment (not that the other members of the cast are immune). One notable example is the Continuation Fic Apples Equals Cyanide Equals Light, which is a tasteful and very well-written story. It takes place after the end of the series, following Light as a shinigami taking his revenge against the ones who caused his death in canon.
- In Dragonball Z fanfics, Yamcha and Chi-Chi are bashed mercilessly, and sometimes, even Bulma, Videl, and Goku fall victim to this.
- In the Mobile Fighter G Gundam fandom, a certain revenge fic was once written to "counter" or "parody" the George x Chibodee yaoi fanfiction by showing how bad they'd get along if they had to move in together. The fans "loved" it, but technically... it didn't work as well as intended. The pairing bashing and how the fic came from a blatant hater of the couple gave it all away.
- There are two really bad Kimagure Orange Road fanfics that are infamous in the fandom for this. The first one is a yaoi lemon where Yuusaku rapes Kyousuke for dumping Hikaru and getting together with Madoka, and the other is the infamous Revenge Road, where Hikaru goes completely psychotic after the events of the Shin Kimagure movie, murders Madoka by shooting her in the head, and then tortures Kyosuke to death by slowly slitting his throat.
- The Love Hina fandom sees this treatment pop up periodically for Naru, Motoko, and Kitsune as a result of their canonically abusive and exploitative treatment of Keitaro. Some authors extend this to include Su, Hina, and Haruka, the latter two primarily due to their manipulation and indifference to Keitaro's plight respectively.
- A lot of fics seem to revolve around Naruto getting revenge for his initial status as Butt-Monkey in the first couple of arcs. Even though things improve for him later on in the series, some angry fans cannot seem to let go and either refuse to acknowledge or completely reverse the positive changes in his treatment, often just to justify the aforementioned revenge..
- Setting the filter to Sasuke and searching the term "Bashing" on Fanfiction.net gives you seven pages worth of character demolition, "hilarious" pranks, and terrible grammar. They tend to give him a characterization of a heartless monster: a misogynistic, impotent, trigger-happy, cowardly, backstabbing, whiney emo bastard. The kicker? Itachi was often put as a good guy/love interest at the same time, before there was even a speck of redemption for the character or any alternative interpretation whatsoever. Right after he brutally beat and tortured two protagonists, there was a flashback of the Uchiha Massacre where he tried to capture/mutilate Naruto. And there are Flame Wars by many who state that this is canon.
- Sakura is attacked without mercy. Just about every character in Naruto has been subject to a Revenge Fic, but not as many as Sakura. In the Fanfic Darkness Within, you can see how much the author absolutely hates Sakura and, to a lesser extent, Sasuke. The author wrote it out of frustration and was completely shocked on how many positive reviews it got. Despite Sakura receiving decent Character Development during the Chunin Exams and the Time Skip in canon, the fic keeps her as a weak, Sasuke-worshiping load who drags the whole team down.
- Neji tends to escape unscathed from this, despite the fact that his first major appearance had him straight-up attempting to kill his cousin for a reason that basically amounts to "getting kidnapped by a Jounin-level spy when she was three", even though there were several OTHER (much more valid) targets for his rage other than his little cousin. In fact, most of Team Gai escapes from this, and Team Ten (excluding Ino) as well.
- Many authors love to add to Naruto's backstory a history of open, often murderous, physical abuse by the people of Konoha. In addition to all the revenge necessary against the village as a whole, this often results in a Plot Tumor in which all the people who should be responsible for keeping an eye on Naruto — the 3rd Hokage, Kakashi, and Jiraiya — are called out as incompetent, cowardly, or callous.
- Kakashi also gets a lot of malice for perceived favoritism towards Sasuke over Naruto. The worst part is that Kakashi only did it once and it was justified. He also left Naruto with a guy who became Jonin because of his teaching abilities, and ended up leading Naruto to his other mentor, Jiraiya. And of course, the fact that if he hadn't taken the month to train Sasuke, he was pretty sure that his fight against Gaara would have killed him. The only real mistakes Kakashi made was not being upfront about the other reason he was training Sasuke in isolation (keep him from getting taken by Orichimaru), ignoring Sakura instead of giving a review performance to set her on the path on how to improve (making her essentially the one student he did neglect), and going off on incomplete information regarding Gaara (he didn't know Gaara was a Tailed Beast Host and out-powered Sasuke to such a degree that unless Sasuke got a lucky shot and killed him in one strike of the Chidori, Gaara would have crushed him anyways).
- Naruto himself is not immune to this. One particular fic, for example ,decided to strip away every characteristic except his love of ramen. The result was a morbidly obese Naruto who's both lazy and a complete coward. It's particularly jarring when Haku (one of Naruto's first friends in canon) outright hates Naruto specifically for being fat.
- Hinata also gets a lot of flack for her perceived Stalker With a Crush tendancies, her perceived spinelessness/weakness, and her inability to admit her feelings for Naruto. Many authors who do this tend to ignore her often-mentioned past where she was psychologically destroyed by her father for her inability to master her clan's techniques (she is rather adept at them, managing to briefly match her prodigious older cousin Neji in their Chuunin Exam match). Fics that do this tend to her shyness and portray her as a spineless coward who relentlessly stalks Naruto.
- This often happened to Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion, possibly because the authors saw too much of themselves in him. Of course, since he's from Evangelion, Canon wasn't especially nice to him either, but still...
- Ranma ˝ has this going on big time. The two most notable subjects, particularly in the sheer vehemence of what they suffer when one of these gets going, are Akane Tendo and Ryoga Hibiki. The latter even has an underground ring of fanfics where he ends up either permanently trapped in his cursed form and sent to a farm, or just butchered and eaten.
- Sailor Moon fanfics where Sailor Mars and Tuxedo Mask betray Sailor Moon, pair up, and declare their collective hate for her was/is depressingly common. This seems to be more common with fics based on the Macekre DiC anime dub than the original, which made Raye and Darien much more harsh than Rei and Mamoru. But ones based on the original do exist too.
- The Tenchi Muyo! fandom has what is called AHRL and ALRH fans — short for "Ayeka-Hating, Ryoko-Loving" and "Ayeka-Loving, Ryoko-Hating" — whose fics tend to turn one girl into a raving bitch and another a virtual saint as they win Tenchi's heart.
- Insane Rocketshipping author Cori Falls is legendary for these. Any character — from Ash, to Tracey, to Misty, to Domino — who opposes Jessie, James, and Meowth are treated to big lectures about everything they did wrong at best or vicious beatings at worst.
- In The Grinning Snake, found here, a crossover between Mai-HiME and Hell Girl written by someone upset over Shizuru not suffering any consequences for her actions, Konoka, the daughter of one of the people Shizuru killed in her attack on First District Headquarters, hears her father identify Shizuru as his killer with his dying breath. After uncovering evidence of Shizuru's guilt and failing to get Shizuru charged with murder or hear any true remorse from her, Konoka enters into a contract with Enma Ai to send Shizuru to Hell, making it also a literal revenge fic.
- The Samurai Pizza Cats fanfiction ''Revenge of the Pizza Cats'' involves the Pizza Cats (as well as Lucille and Princess Vi, because why not) going to America to brutalize and then jail an FCC commissioner named Jeff Blundt (who somehow has control over what's being shown in Japan) because of a law requiring TV channels to air at least 3 hours of educational TV per day.
- The second variety was both named and typified by the Revenge Wars which flooded the Anime Fan Fiction Mailing List in response to and in the wake of Scott "SKJAM!" Jamison's story Sauce.
- This seems to be the main purpose of Robo Bando.
- Maybe either the writer or the requestor of the Financial Crisis Gangbang.
- This fan comic is a huge one to Joe Quesada.
- This is generally what ensues when Garth Ennis is handed the reins of a superhero title.
- 303 doesn't feature any superheroes... but it ends with the main character assassinating an unnamed American president responsible for the Iraq War (and supposedly speaks English worse than the Russian main character). Wonder who that could be?
- The Lord of the Rings movies triggered a series of fanfics portraying Arwen Evenstar as a vindictive, vicious, shrieking harpy who seduced Aragorn so she could become Queen of Gondor. This is generally perceived as an expression of resentment over Arwen's having "stolen" Aragorn from his true love Éowyn, his real true love Legolas, or his real real true love, Marisuthiel.
- And then there were the ones written by the people who were upset about her stealing Glorfindel's role from the books.
- The many ways that Jar Jar Binks dies and/or is tortured horribly in many Star Wars fanfics as a form of revenge for being, well, Jar Jar.
- Doctor Who Expanded Universe writer Lance Parkin once posted one of these to Outpost Gallifrey about a character everyone probably knew he hated anyway, seeing as he turned into a Designated Monkey whenever Parkin wrote him. Yeah, man, way to show that fictional character, spending your precious time writing two novels costarring him, nursing a grudge for two years, and writing a little story about him getting hurt in a nasty way. You sure showed him! Ha ha, not.
- Spitefic based on alternative character interpretations of Fifty Shades of Grey's Christian Grey is fairly popular. This ranges from playing up and then deconstructing his canonical abusive boyfriend traits to depicting him as a literal people-eating monster (which is kind of hilarious if you're familiar with 50 Shades original inspiration).
- Tread carefully here, for some shipping wars never die, but merely sleep in their house at R'Lyeh until the stars align. As the canon pairings in Harry Potter became apparent, shippers for other couples (most famously, Harry/Hermione) started making massive numbers of Revenge Fics targeting anyone in the way of said preferred couples - the most popular targets being Ginny Weasley, and a certain inadvertently Trope-Naming sibling of hers.
- Molly also gets it on occasion, frequently as the mastermind (or at least the potion dealer) behind her kids' "trangressions". In fact, with a fanfic community of that size, nobody is safe...
- In This World and the Next is a Revenge Fic for all the Weasleys, as well as Dumbledore, Snape, the Dursleys and almost everyone else who's not Harry or Hermione.
- Knowledge Is Power is this for Dumbledore and the Weasleys, of course.
- Though the story changes few of their actual actions, in The Real Us, Ron, Ginny, Molly, the twins, and Percy are subject to an absolutely SCATHING alternative character interpretation literally every time they're mentioned.
- Another example might be Ian Fleming getting sick of James Bond and killing him off at the end of the novel From Russia with Love; however, the book was so well written and so much interest generated in the character that this death didn't stick, either. It was never planned that way anyway. He'd already written Dr. No.
- Older Than Television: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle getting sick of Sherlock Holmes and throwing him off Reichenbach Falls probably counts, even though the death didn't stick.
- The War Against the Chtorr novel "A Rage for Revenge" has a lengthy section detailing the Humiliation Conga inflicted on a producer who ripped off his writer. Author David Gerrold thinks that anyone who pisses off a writer is just asking for trouble. "How many stories have you read that are basically about revenge?"
- Garrett P. Serviss' 1898 unauthorized sequel to H. G. Wells' novel The War of the Worlds, Edison's Conquest of Mars. In this novel Thomas Edison reverse engineers the Martian technology,combines it with a few inventions of his own to build a giant space fleet, and proceeds to fly to Mars with a huge army and beat the living crap out of the Martians with ludicrous ease. The entire book seems dedicated to inflicting as much pain on the Martians as possible, although the characters relent slightly near the end. Due to the lax copyright laws of the time period Serviss had no legal problems serializing or publishing the novel. H. G. Wells did not approve of the book. Thomas Edison did.
- Carly Shay on iCarly, with her being subject to Die for Our Ship often becomes the enemy of writers who use her as the 'enemy' in a Possession Sue fic. Sam is a stand in for the writer, Carly becomes the Alpha Bitch who got the guy the writer wanted. Funnily enough, Miranda Cosgrove who plays Carly Shay portrayed the young Lana Lang in Smallville.
- Kate from Robin Hood has earned at least one of these.
- The late 80's/early 90's cast of Saturday Night Live put together a nice little number about mean old Mr. Potter from It's a Wonderful Life.
- Smallville's Lana Lang had this. A lot. Let's just say that there were many Smallville fans who hated Lana's Mary Sue status on the show and were eager to take the character down a peg.
- Jonas Quinn of Stargate SG-1 managed to accrue a lot of these fics in the single season he replaced the character of Daniel Jackson. People either love Jonas or hate him... and the scale is mostly tipped towards hating him.
- Pick a crime show with UST. Any crime show. Now find someone who interferes with the aforementioned UST. There's fanfiction featuring them being tortured in some sadistic fashion if you look in the right places.
- Buffy's unpopular love interest Riley Finn got a few of these, the most extreme of which featured Angelus returning to Sunnydale and skinning Riley alive while Buffy watches. The story ends with Buffy and Angelus making love on a rug made of Riley's skin.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation has one with no title, it is satire and all the characters are wildly Out of Character (Picard goofing around, Riker hating Troi despite being her boyfriend, Troi herself whiny and unprofessional (going on about pain and agony etc), and La Forge also hating Troi. The story is targeted at Troi. She basically is rewritten into a wangsty useless character and then catches a disease from a child on a planet called Nosedirt. She is in life threatening danger and survives but loses her abilities and is abandoned. And There Was Much Rejoicing.
- The Gunge Male Celeb Revenge Fic, Naughty or Nice is this for the big 4 UK soaps. What happens is that Santa comes in for the 2013 Christmas season, and severely gives the selected male characters of their soap Laser-Guided Karma punishments, where covering them in gunge is just part of the punishment for what they did that year.
- Harry Potter And The Invincible Technomage is solely designed to bash the entire HP 'verse, with a ridiculously overpowered and out of character Harry who, as a preteen, can somehow beat up goons with his bare hands (as some have pointed out, training by Captain America be damned, some things aren't physically possible), is also a super genius, and the only positively portrayed HP characters are essentially his willing minions. This is something of a pity, since the writer is actually reasonably good when they confine themselves to Harry's relations with the Marvel side of things.
- Netorare is the Rule 34 way of responding to spineless harem males, or so some claim.
- Not much of a stretch, considering the definition of Netorare is more or less "Sex with the faithful man rendered helpless to stop" in some way, via drugs, bondage or even taunting the victim though photos...
- Pretty much the entire point of the Whack a Sue LiveJournal community is to call characters Mary Sues and kill them.
- Dante's Night at Freddy's really skirts the line between this and Affectionate Parody. The story's entire purpose it to depict Dante slaughtering the Freddy Fazbear animatronics, but is not so much a Take That! as it is Catharsis Factor, given how you couldn't really fight back against the animatronics in the original game.
- Parodied in The Horribly Bloody Death Of Kairi. The author imitated the Hate Dumb against Kairi so well, that a lot of people didn't notice it's a Troll Fic.
- Pokémon: Lyra gets hit with hate art and the like often, by virtue of being a Replacement Scrappy of Kris.
- In Star Fox fics, Fox McCloud tends to earn the wrath of certain particular authors for breaking up with Krystal in Star Fox Command. Said authors tend to conveniently overlook the fact that he did it for benevolent reasons, that even he realises it was a stupid decision and is already miserable enough over it, as well as the fact Krystal overreacted majorly and is far from faultless herself. As well as the fact that Command is considered to have not happened. Many of them also tend to derail Fox, so that Krystal can be paired with the Author Avatar as well.
- Tekken has a fanfic called, A Robot's Apology where Leo and Lili attacked Alisa for her betrayal on Lars.
- The 2009 Homestar Runner Halloween toon "Doomy Tales of the Macabre" is basically this courtesy of Strong Sad, applied to everyone else in the 'verse for not inviting him to that year's Halloween party. Strong Bad writes one about Strong Sad and the Deleteheads in the Strong Bad Email "fan club".
- A Deconstruction is provided in Weiss Reacts, where Weiss reads one of these fics with her as the subject. It results in a Tear Jerker as Weiss, despite her usual frostiness and sarcasm, is somewhat hurt to the point of tears by the fic. It then results in a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming when Cardin hunts down the perpetrator and gives him a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown for writing said fic. And Weiss gets hugged by everyone, including Ruby, who the fic said would betray her.
- There is a RWBY fanfic that plays this trope straight: Blake's Revenge. It basically features Blake violently stabbing Adam to death as payback for everything he did at the end of Volume 3.
- While fic torturing The Nostalgia Critic is likely the most popular genre in the TGWTG fanfic fandom, at least it's done with love and keeps the boy in-character. Not the case for "Beer Enema", which stars an evil second-person narrator mutilating a shell-like Critic whose only personality is being a Pretty Boy with no spine.
- In the SCP Foundation, there were a series of SCPs that the authors decided they really, really didn't like. So they came up with heavily exaggerated stories detailing how the Foundation got rid of them, all involving very horrible ends for the SCPs, which became known as "decommissioned" SCPs. After this purge they decided not to ever do it again, lest writers create terrible SCPs purely in the hopes of getting awesome declassified. (Not to mention that some of the authors' OCs were starting to lean on He Who Fights Monsters.)
- The Avatar: The Last Airbender fandom is rife with irate shippers. If you've ever gone browsing for fic, you have found bash-fics for any character you can think of, but predominantly Aang and Mai (usually because both characters get in the way of Zuko and Katara being together).
- It's not uncommon to see Family Guy fanfics in which Quagmire is either beaten up by Peter, Stewie or anybody else for hating Brian.
- Also Attack Of The 100 Foot Meg Griffin where Meg grows 100 feet tall and takes revenge on Connie for trying to kill her and frame her family, as well as others who screwed her over in the past.
- The decidedly darker Wipe the Slate Clean opens with Meg killing Peter, Chris, Lois and a robotic duplicate of Stewie with a shotgun, then preparing to leave with Brian and (reluctantly) the real Stewie to Mexico. Subverted in that revenge isn't really the main point of the fic. The real point is more like Throw the Dog a Bone (for both Meg and Brian).
- The King of the Hill: Peggy's Revenge fanfic by Joey Joe Joe Jr. Shabadu had Peggy, Lucky and John Redcorn going OOC to torture Hank because he's bad at sex.
- The Loud House:
- Looking up fanfics related to the very unpopular episode "No Such Luck" on any website that hosts fanfics of the series will result in tons of fanfics dedicated to the entire Loud family being called out (to the point of even being arrested, beaten up, or killed) for their treatment of Lincoln (who isn't even entirely blameless himself) during said episode.
- Luan Loud also has a few of these dedicated to herself thanks to her Took a Level in Jerkass/Karma Houdini attitude in "April Fools Rules".
- The Lemony Narrator of Twillight Sparkle's awesome adventure really hates Fluttershy (from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic). The author makes it pretty clear that the story is basically a troll fic that makes fun of other people who fall into bad cliches and writing mistakes (especially people who make Mary Sue OCs). He also states that he doesn't seriously hate fluttershy. My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic characters, particularly Trixie, Celestia and Gilda are often target of this trope.
- In another in-universe example, it seems that the Lemony Narrator to Equestria: A History Revealed has a strong hatred for Celestia. Even through all of her blatant hate, despite her best attentions, what is presented clearly demonstrates that Celestia was more than competent in ruling the nation than the fic would have you believe. It gets to the point where it seems that some chapters and facts were rewritten to get some comeuppance against Celestia, even though it never works.
- There's a Phineas and Ferb fan fiction writer called "Blackspiderman". A long time ago, he hated Candace. And almost every single thing he wrote had Candace going through all this shit and sometimes some characters will go OOC to rage about her and her busting obsession. Yes. But now, he likes her, and has stopped writing revenge fics. and now he even considers them his Old Shame.
- Total Drama:
- Courtney is an especially common target for revenge fics by virtue of being one of the original cast's most polarizing characters. The whole entire point of Courtney and the Violin of Despair is to subvert this convention by depicting Courtney as generally undeserving of the feces happening to her.
- Among the Pahkitew Island cast, Sky and Honey Boo Boo parody Sugar are the most common revenge fic targets, Sky because of perceived mistreatment of Dave in the finale and Sugar because she is who she is. In one story, Sugar is savagely beaten to death by the rest of the Pahkitew Island cast merely for existing.
- While Kobold Necromancer is considered among the best fanfic writers, and despite never being the focus of his stories, he's not subtle about the characters he dislikes, such as Chris Maclean or Alejandro, both of them being at the receiving end of endless abuse in Total Drama Battlegrounds.
- Dakari-King Mykan is infamous for only writing that kind of fanfiction in general. By June 2013 he has written over 150 fanfics, most of which center around him turning lovable characters of shows like Digimon and Teen Titans into jerkasses who hurt or kill their friends, because he is unhappy with the fact certain pairings got bombed (to the point that he claims the Teen Titans finale literally gave him PTSD). Thankfully he sucks so much that people who write MSTings of his work told him to grow up and do worse to the characters than what he thinks is evil.
"I do not like FIM at all... in fact I hate it and wish it were never made... and it makes me angry with all its lies and falsehoods about friendship being magic and the true salvation. Not to mention all the horrid emotional pains it brings me. So I create this to bash at it."
- Also there's this:
- Ironically, the protagonists usually win because of working together as friends, and then the Grand Ruler states that Friendship is an important part of magic.
- There's also The End of Ends which is this towards the finale of Teen Titans and doing almost exactly what the above described, with the added bonus of blowing up entire worlds just because one pairing came through while his preferred paring sank.
- He even has a term for this kind of fic, "punishment fic," and has a certain commonly occurring variant. When one character (typically Davis or Beast Boy) doesn't get together with the one Mykan wants to pair him with (Kari and Terra, respectively), the former (yes, the person who got rejected, not the one who rejected him or the one she chose instead) will undergo a Face–Heel Turn and/or die, and the latter will be blamed for it. The aforementioned The End of Ends is an example of this, as is Cyborg Davis (in which, curiously enough, Davis comes back to life and acts the same way toward Kari as Terra did to Beast Boy in "Things Change").
- The Legend of Korra flash-fic You Killed Me is, by the author's admission, an unabashed one against Zaheer. (Whether or not villains have it coming is likely a separate discussion.)
- The Invader Zim fandom is full of these, usually with Zim fans torturing Dib for trying to dissect Zim, and Dib fans torturing Zim for trying to conquer Earth. But there are other targets, including Gaz (for being a sociopathic bully), Professor Membrane (for being a bad parent), the Tallest (for being mean to Zim), and the other skoolchildren in general (for making Dib and Zim's lives hell). Gir Revenge Fics are uncommon for obvious reasons.
- Caillou, Dora the Explorer and other characters from shows for young audiences get this constantly from their Periphery Hatedom. Said hatedom makes up a lot of the Periphery Demographic of Go Animate. The kids making the videos with this website hate them for either finding them annoying or even just because they're baby show characters. It doesn't help that the titular characters of many of these shows are basically The Scrappy, especially Caillou. You'd be hard-pressed to find any sort of fanon (whether on GoAnimate or otherwise) that isn't a Take That! toward him in some way.