If the writer or artist wants to include a ridiculously sexy female character
who is always dressed in skimpy outfits
, he may choose to give a reason for this character to dress and behave the way she does. Maybe she's The Vamp
, and is using it as a means to get what she wants from men, or maybe she's the Innocent Fanservice Girl
, who simply doesn't know — or doesn't care
— about the effect she has on men.
Then, there's this girl. She would prefer
to dress modestly, and really doesn't like being ogled by men, but, for some reason
, the universe conspires
to have her dress in skimpy outfits or end up naked. Her clothes may get ripped
or stolen, she may be pressured into it by her friends, she may have to serve as a sexy distraction
for the idiot guards
, the villain may have kidnapped her, had his servants bathe her
and forced her to wear a metal bikini
... any excuse will do, but whatever the reason, she will always be unhappy about it.
Often played for laughs as a form of Butt Monkey-ness
, although serious variants are also possible. After all, much of the humour of the situation depends on whether you think women being unwillingly stripped down carries a host of Unfortunate Implications
, or is as harmless as any other fictional kink
. If the author wishes to make a point about gender issues, this kind of Fanservice
will often be toned down or Deconstructed
A frequent consequence of the Third Law of Gender Bending
. This sort of thing may also happen to the Mr. Fanservice
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Yaoi, the Uke sometimes take this role in relation to the Seme. And the audience.
- Female!Ranma often finds herself in this position in Ranma ˝. Especially if Dirty Old Man Happōsai is around.
- Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Haruhi is constantly trying to invoke tropes, and uses Mikuru for her appeal and tries to make her the Innocent Fanservice Girl, much to Mikuru's despair. While she eventually accepts her Meido outfit, she is still struggling to accept it when Haruhi tries to put more revealing outfits on her.
- This is the entire concept of Maicchingu Machiko Sensei. The title character continually finds herself naked due to the actions of her perverted students, the occassional non-human, or the nature of the universe itself.
- A dozen examples could be found from Mahou Sensei Negima! alone.
- Takane D. Goodman is the most notorious. Takane is in the habit of using magically-generated clothing instead of actual clothing, and so her outfits tend to vanish completely whenever she's defeated in battle... and she's not exactly the most powerful side-character.
- This is also known to happen to Asuna. Early incidents involved Negi's wind magic activating by accident, which blew off all Asuna's clothes without causing her any harm. Negi's wind magic accidentally activating has done that to many girls, not just Asuna. The fact that his attempt to erase her memory also resulted in nothing more than clothing loss for Asuna, however, was foreshadowing of Asuna's magic cancel abilities. And later, her magic canceling abilities became so strong that she kept her clothes on when Negi's infamous strip-sneeze came around.
- Fairy Tail
- Mio Akiyama from K-On!. She's been forced into her share of costumes, not to mention tripping over a cord and landing in a panty-exposing position during the band's first performance in front of the whole school.
- Yuki from Fruits Basket, especially when he's forced to wear a beautiful girl's kimono for the school festival.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: In the virtual world mini-arc, Joey is forced to wear a the garb of a legendary warrior: a one-shouldered "barbarian" style garment cut very short. It's even skimpier than Mai' costume — although she's extremely comfortable in hers and Joey tries to avoid coming out in his.
- In the Hentai Dragon Pink, Pink is constantly being humiliated in this way.
- Infinite Stratos: Charlotte Dunois often mentions not minding nudity around Ichika, but would prefer that he ask first, yet still chides him for perversion.
- Kallen from Code Geass has fallen into some precarious clothing and/or pose situations, to the point where part of the fanbase considers her nothing more than fanservice.
- The condition for Ringo's jumping power in Banana no Nana is that she has to wear a miniskirt that shows off her panties.
- The Magical Girl outfit in Oku-sama wa Mahou Shoujo is designed for your standard, young girl. Ureshiko, at 26, has a fully adult body, and she's not quite comfortable when people point out how it looks on her.
- Blue Rose in Tiger & Bunny is contractually obligated to go crime fighting in a Stripperiffic outfit despite how impractical and dangerous it is. Mainly because her sponsors market her largely on sex appeal. Since she's a deconstruction of Miss Fanservice, poor Karina is shown to be extremely embarrassed, but she can't do anything.
- In the (banned) Pokémon episode "Beauty and the Beach", Misty declares that parading in front of strangers in a bikini is "Totally embarassing and degrading... but we need the money."
- Bulma takes a turn of this in the original Dragon Ball. In the very first story arc, her clothing becomes damaged and, stuck out in the desert, the only piece of clothing nearby is a Playboy bunny costume. She hates wearing it, but inexplicably wears the bunny ears with it until she can replace it with some nearly-as-revealing local attire.
- In Dorothy of Oz, Mara Shin's Magical Girl transformation strips off her clothes to reform them into the Witch's suit. Unfortunately for Mara, someone always walks in just as the magic takes her clothes off. In the fifth volume, she trips and falls on top of one of her comrades while in the middle of her transformation.
- The entire point of Empowered. This has not helped the title character's self-esteem any.
- Sally Forth from the U.S. Armed Forces newspaper (not the one seen in civilian Newspaper Comics sections).
- Jane from the Daily Mirror strip of the same name. An urban legend claims that during World War II, when a rumor went out that D-Day would coincide with Jane appearing fully naked for the first time, army brass specifically asked the artist to make it so.
Films — Live-Action
- Mercy Thompson is frequently naked, as when she changes shape, her clothes don't come with her.
- Amelia Windrose from Orphans of Chaos, constantly. A climactic scene in the third book is enacted with her naked the entire time, and a villain standing between her and the only towel. It's... much more serious than it sounds.
- Teri Hatcher's character in Desperate Housewives often ended up in this kind of situation.
- Justified in Primeval: Abby wears minimal clothing in her flat because she's deliberately keeping the temperature above 30 Celsius. Why? Well, she happens to be caring for a prehistoric reptile.
- Widespread, and applied to both genders, in Spartacus Blood And Sand. Slaves are often forced to go partially or completely naked for the entertainment of their Roman masters either for erotic reasons, especially with household slaves and prostitutes, or simply because in some jobs, such as mining, they see no reason to provide them with clothes.
- Natalie in Epic Battle Fantasy, after using her Kyun Limit Break, will usually comment on it afterward by saying, "Well, that was embarrassing", "I hope that's enough fanservice for a while", and "Okay, stop staring now."
- The women in Real Girls Strip Poker react this way after the (presumably male) player has stripped them nude.
- Mikan Tsumiki in Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is sometimes an over-the-top parody of this, due to how she'll often end up in extremely embarrassing poses (though any Panty Shots she might be displaying will be conveniently censored in some way). However, she's also somewhat of a deconstruction since being the Reluctant Fanservice Girl only makes her already low self-esteem even lower, and yet she's painfully used to this being the only way she can get any sort of attention from people.