Race Of Aleria
Note: This is a work in progress. Help us improve it!
The Race of Aleria is an Original Character Tournament currently starting its second round on the site deviantART. As its name kindly announces, the premise is that competitors are to race eachother to reach a teleporter to take them to the next phase of the race, all in the world of Aleria.The point of this is to select one being who'll have the honor to slay the dictator dragons that had once ruled over their civilization (whom had been thought to be dead but turned out not to be) in turn for money, fame and keeping the dragons' hides - which are also worth a lot of money in themselves.
This OCT provides examples of:
- Aliens Speaking English: Considering that Aleria is an intergalactic civilization and the contestants come from all over the multiverse, this trope doesn't just exist in here. It's a must. It's even lampshaded in the occasional entry.
- For Carlos, this would be Spanish. He can only speak Spanish.
- Blessed with Suck: A fair amount of the entrants, apparently. Like in every OCT.
- Elemental Powers: Where do we even start?
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Really, the Race of Aleria.
- Side Kick: Any number of the teams.
- Teleporters and Transporters: What the means of reaching a checkpoint- as well as the racing sections- are.
Contestant Character tropes
- Clear My Name: She's blamed for a crime she didn't commit at her home planet.
- Blob Monster: Self-explanatory.
- Blue and Orange Morality
- Living Lie Detector: Sharp hearing plus lots of life experience make her this.
- Our Demons Are Different: Warm, playful, loving...make of that what you will
- Playing with Fire: Not just a fire-spitter, but able to ignite her whole body ablaze.
- Hollywood Chameleons: Chigi is very good at using his moods to exactly match his environment.
- Adorkable: Because no matter who you are or what you believe in, her silly ways make you go "d'aww"
- Breakout Character: ight be too early to tell, however...
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The first person not to have their heart molten by the cuteness of Ymp is a person with no heart.
- Beware My Stinger Tail
- Cartoony Tail: He is this trope taken to the ultimate extreme.
- Consummate Liar: His name spells this trope out.
- Chivalrous Pervert: A textbook example, despite the trouble this causes him.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Not usually, but with situations where a simple 'damn it!' would suffice, he has a persistent habit of becoming... creative with his word choice.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Played very straight.
- Genre Savvy: The reason why she's paranoid about dying.
- MacGyvering: She can make gadgets out of bizarre tools, it seems.
- Red Shirt: Defied for laughs
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: For Pants' IQ level and Roach's scarce level of knowledge, they're both quite competent in battle.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners
- The Dividual: More like two halves of a semi-funtional brain
- For the Lulz: He's a comedian. A bad one at that. But he does everything for his audience.
- Size Shifter
- Starfish Aliens: His species is alien to where of Aleria it is that he comes from.
- Verbal Tic: Who has a verbal tic-ku? Are you talking about me-ku?
- Split Personality: Is it her? Is it a demon? Is it her mother? The world will never know.
- Evil Matriarch
- Aliens Speaking English: Averted. Symphony speaks "Fairy Cat", and while she has taken lessons to understand Alerian, she cannot speak it, and many Fairy Cats find it difficult to make the sounds required for it.
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": Symphony's species has been dubbed "Fairy Cats" by the rest of the universe, yet they are neither fairies nor cats, and they do not really resemble either.
- Applied Phlebotinum: His e.ghost forms are an example of advanced technology.
- Gentle Giant: A book example. He's tall, intimidating and strong; but also soft-spoken, well-mannered, and nature-loving.
Non Player Character tropes
- The Stoic: Her expression never changes. Her tone never changes. She is like a piece of stone governing Aleria.
- The Dragon: Played with since she's both Vespera's second-in-command and not a bad person. And well, not a dragon per se albeit some contestants have confused her for an actual one.
- Jerkass Fašade - Riley may seem caustic, but really she just doesn't want to get too close to the contestants when any of them could die at any time.
For the sake of space and consistency, only the winner's canon will be taken into consideration here01. Chigi vs Quentin;
Winner: Chigi.02. Symphony vs Hernando;
Winner: Hernando.03. Kael vs Bouje;
Winner: Kael.04. Noel vs Syradeus;
Winner: Syradeus.05. Jason/Jester vs Alexandra & Zeo;
Winner: Alexandra & Zeo.06. Paper Cat vs Chi Darkfire;
Winner: Chi Darkfire.
- Gone Horribly Right: Early in the match, Chi sets a lake of neoketazol on fire, knowing that it would trigger an underground explosion large enough to make the dirt beneath her and her opponent to collapse. Later on, the same fire causes another, BIGGER underground explosion that nearly gets herself (and her opponent) killed.
- No Indoor Voice: THIS ROUND HAS A LOT OF MANLY SHOUTING BETWEEN MANLY FURRY BROWN THINGS OF MANLINESS!
Winner: Iris.09. Pants & Roach vs Timber & Grey;
Winner: Pants & Roach.10. Simon vs Mar-lynn;
Winner: Mar-lynn.11. Arak vs Tyger;
Winner: Tyger12. Arezo vs Kysar;
- Eyepatch of Power: Kysar got her eye injured during the battle, and wound up going to surgery.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The teleportation specifically makes Leah forget who her opponent is, presumably as a form of Revision on the writer's part to get rid of a mistake he'd previously made regarding the OCT's rules.
Winner: Viktor & Kin.15. Echo vs Scimitar;
Winner: Echo.16. Sophia vs Kirk;
01. Mar-lynn vs Alexandra & Zeo;
Winner: Alexandra & Zeo02. Chigi vs Kirk;
Winner: Chigi03. Kael vs Tyger;
Winner: Tyger04. Viktor & Kin vs Echo;
Winner: Echo05. Hawthorn vs Pants & Roach;
Winner: Hawthorn06. Chi vs Hernando;
Winner: Chi07. Syra vs Kysar;
Winner: Syra08. Iris vs Leah;
- Fate Worse Than Death: Being absorbed by a dying nature guardian—losing your body, soul, mind and eventually self-sentientness as a result.
01. Echo vs Alexandra & Zeo;
Winner: Echo02. Chi vs Leah;
Winner: Chi03. Hawthorn vs Chigi;
Winner: Hawthorn04. Syra vs Tyger;
01. Syra vs Chi
Winner:02. Echo vs Hawthorn