Psychotic Love Triangle
aka: Yandere Love Triangle
A Love Triangle where at least two of the members are mutually crazy in love to the hypotenuse. Leads to a massive amount of drama and generally lots of violence and attempts to Murder the Hypotenuse, only now it's working both ways, and if the third member of the trio is not mentally unstable and violent, expect them to suffer quite a bit. Sometimes though, the third member of the trio can be as crazy, if not more so, than the aforementioned crazies. And if they aren't, they may be soon enough thanks to the other two.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- School Days is the Trope Codifier, with Makoto, Sekai, and Kotonoha. But then he starts sleeping around and things go to hell.
- The Yuno-Yukiteru-Akise triangle from Mirai Nikki, with Yukiteru being stuck between the uber-Yandere Yuno and the more subtle, but still violently obsessive Akise.
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei- although replace drama with comedy. Though, here, it's more like a Yandere Love Dodecahedron. They tried to make it more like a "Love Sphere"...but you can guess what happened to most of the people.
- Durarara!! has Namie and Mika towards Seiji. Though its later subverted when its revealed that Seiji is not only as crazy as them, he's also in love with Celty's head.
- Axis Powers Hetalia has the Belarus/Russia/Lithuania love triangle. Belarus likes Russia, Russia likes Lithuania, Lithuania likes Belarus, and it goes downhill from there.
- Hitagi of Bakemonogatari shows some Yandere tendencies towards boyfriend Koyomi at times. And Suruga is Yandere for Hitagi. Also: Black Hanekawa.
- Girls Bravo has two Yandere love triangles in the anime. Namely, Lisa and Yukina are both Yandere for Yukinari and Kosame and Hijiri are both Yandere for Kirie. Played for laughs.
- Sakura Gari had two of them:
- There is initially a love triangle between Souma, Masataka, and Sakurako. With Souma rather obsessively pining (to a Yandere-like degree) after Masataka, who has a huge crush on Sakurako, who is a Yandere for her brother Souma.
- When Souma mellows out and stops being Yandere, Depraved Bisexual Dr. Katsuragi comes into view, making both him and Sakurako Yandere for Souma. Katsuragi loved Souma since they were children, and is upset that Souma loves Masataka so he rapes and tortures Masataka with the intent to drive him away from Souma. Masataka escapes, but is left scarred and traumatised. Souma finds out, confronts Katsuragi on his bullshit and deals him a brutal Humiliation Conga... that Katsuragi's wife transforms into Karmic Death. As for Sakurako, she eventually snaps so badly that she tries to kill Souma and Masataka, then is Driven to Suicide.
- Bleach: Loly and Menolly both think they have a love rival in Orihime because they believe Aizen has an interest in her. So they beat her up and attempt to kill her. However, Aizen has no interest in any of them. Loly also seemed to have quite a bit of Foe Yay towards Orihime.
- Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest has an interesting (and nightmarish) example in that both Ryuuko and Haguro are Yandere for Inugami's more violent side, and lust after him. They are also in a sexual relationship with each other and think about Inugami while having sex. When the two of them find out that Inugami, who wants nothing to do with either of them, has started developing feelings for his teacher Aoshika...it gets ugly. Very, VERY ugly.
- Ai no Kusabi has Riki being in a Love Triangle with Iason and Guy, who are both dangerously obsessive of him. It went From Bad to Worse.
- The yaoi manga Under Grand Hotel has Swordfish being a Yandere for Sen who loves Swordfish back. There's also Norman who's in love with Swordfish but pretended to be in love with Sen so he could get closer to Swordfish. He tried to persuade Swordfish to kill Sen but that didn't work. So, on one occasion when there was a scuffle going on he tried to get Sen out of the way by stabbing him with a pencil but accidentally ends up stabbing his inmate Walter instead who was trying to protect Sen in the hope of getting protection from Swordfish. When he finds this out, Norman holds a knife to Walter's neck telling him, "If you don't want to die, don't butt in again Walter!"
- In Haru To Natsu Makoto finds himself stuck between the two twins Haruna and Natsumi who viciously fight over who will win him, to the point of tying him up, threatening him with a knife, and attempting to rape him.
- Hot Gimmick has the Azusa, Ryoki, and Hatsumi love triangle. Between Ryoki and Azusa, Hatsumi is like some kind of Yandere-magnet.
- Sailor Moon has Prince Diamond acting like a Yandere towards her when she's already in love with Mamoru/Darien and Emerald acting like a Yandere towards Prince Diamond. Another yandere love triangle consists of Ali having a crush on Usagi and Ann having a crush on Mamoru, when Usagi and Mamoru already love each other.
- Death Note features one, in which both Kiyomi Takada and Misa Amane vie for the affections of Light Yagami, who is not in love with anyone. Both women qualify as complete yanderes, but Light is just as crazy, if not more so, than either of them.
- Played even more strangely before then, where Misa also seeks the psychotic Light's affections, and instead finds herself the object of L's attraction - that is, when he's not torturing her for information (or perhaps especially then?). Then there's the pounds of Foe Yay hints that Light may have a thing for L, which may or may not be reciprocated, despite the fact that L knows he's a Serial Killer and Light later kills him.
- Gravitation: Both Shuichi and Tohma are yandere for Yuki who is in a relationship with Shuichi.
- Okane Ga Nai has both Tokigawa and Kanou acting like yandere to Ayase.
- In the manga Desire Climax both Hina and Shoei demonstrate some Yandere tendencies towards Mio.
- In Ergo Proxy both Daedalus and Iggy are yandere for Re-I.
- In Neon Genesis Evangelion, Naoko and Ritsuko are yandere for Gendo, albeit at different times, but Gendo is more interested in Yui hence his always being around her clone, Rei.
- In an Imagine Spot in the first episode of Tsugou no Yoi Sexfriend, the main character sees all five of his sexfriends as knife-wielding nutcases.
- Played with in some Mayu Shinjo mangas. At first the male love interest will be a Yandere and Bastard Boyfriend while his Girl Next Door girfriend will be more or less normal. Then, the girl who will appear to challenge said Girl Next Door will tun out to be a Yandere Clingy Jealous Girl... meaning that the two yanderes do not compete for someone else, but the crazy dude is the target of both a crazy girl and a non-crazy one.
- Sensual Phrase: Sakuya (Bastard Boyfriend), Aine (Normal Girl), Ayako (Yandere girl)
- Haou Airen: Hakuron (Bastard Boyfriend), Kurumi (Normal Girl), Reilan (Yandere girl)
- Akuma na Eros: Satan (Bastard Boyfriend - and yes, it's THAT Satan), Miu (Normal Girl), Sara (Yandere girl)
- In Tate No Yuusha No Nariagari Motoyasu's death resulted due to him not wanting to chose one of his two female friends over the other. Both girls responded by stabbing him to death while arguing over who would go to heaven with him.
- In Yandere Heaven the listener/heroine is trapped between two yandere males - the situation changes between each volume. The Yaoi Genre Spin-Off Yandere Heaven BLack has a male trapped between two Yandere men as well.
- Yandere No Onna No Ko is essentially the same as Yandere Heaven with the genders flipped.
- During Superman's Red and Blue period, the split Supermen had to contend with both Maxima and Obsession showing up at the Fortress of Solitude at the same time. While Maxima was horrified by Superman's situation, Obsession's reaction was that they now had one each.
- While Love is quite a stretch, Spider-Man, Eddie Brook, and the Venom symbiote have one of these. The Venom symbiote is a Yandere for Peter that wants to kill Peter so no one can have him, Eddie is a Yandere for the Symbiote that wants to Murder the Hypotenuse, Peter.
- In A Song of Ice and Fire there's Lysa towards Petyr, and Petyr towards Lysa's older sister Cat. Lysa raped Petyr whilst he was drugged, delirious and insensible twice in the backstory, with him possibly believing she was her sister. Petyr, who Used to Be a Sweet Kid, was left unhinged and bitter after being rejected by Catelyn, so he decided to deep breath manipulate Lysa into killing her husband and accusing House Lannister of the murder, all in order to draw Catelyn's own husband, Ned, to the Deadly Decadent Court of Westeros, driving a wedge of tension between Houses Stark and Lannister. The end result: Ned was executed for treason, fanning the flames of aforementioned tension, which grew into a spectacularly bloody, continent-wide civil war, leaving thousands dead, the land ravaged and the economy hanging on by a thread just before the start of a winter that could last for generations! All of this, just because Petyr Did Not Get the Girl! The guy takes Yandere to a whole new level of insanity.
- The Ian McEwan story The Comfort of Strangers is about a couple who become obsessed with the protagonist's beautiful boyfriend, and ultimately murder him together.
- Agatha Christie's short story "Triangle At Rhodes" features two couples: one consists of Valentine Chantry, who's on her fourth husband and seems to have no real regard for his feelings, and her very possessive, jealous husband, Tony. The other consists of Marjorie Gold, a very kind, plain woman who is desperately in love with her husband Douglas, who seems to be infatuated with Valentine (who is returning his feelings). When Valentine is murdered, it looks as though Douglas attempted to kill Tony so he and Valentine could get together, but actually got Valentine instead by pure accident. In reality, there were actually two love triangles: the fake one (Tony/Valentine/Douglas) and the real one (Marjorie/Tony/Douglas). Valentine and Douglas had no serious feelings for each other, but Marjorie made it look like they did- she wanted to start a relationship with Tony, and they felt that the best way to get rid of their partners would be to murder Valentine and pin it on Douglas, who would subsequently be hanged. Poirot sees through it instantly.
- Irisu Syndrome!. Irisu likes Uuji. Ageha also likes Uuji, but she's not a yandere for him. No, the second yandere in this triangle is Uuji, who likes Irisu but has completely messed up ways of showing it.
- Happens in Yanderella with both true ends. Yatarou is friends with a Girly Girl and a Tsundere Tomboy, both who are madly in love with him. Either way you choose, you'll make one angry and awaken the beast within her.
- The main plot of Limit Panic.
- School Days has Makoto in the middle of a Love Triangle with two Yanderes, Kotonoha and Sekai. The Anime/Manga/Visual Novel Trope Codifier. Note that despite the infamy the franchise has, in the original visual novel this is largely downplayed. Kotonoha and Sekai are both quite unstable, but most of the time it doesn't escalate into violence.
- That Guy with the Glasses had a triangle of rejection between The Nostalgia Chick, Todd in the Shadows and Obscurus Lupa. The last one didn't do anything, but Todd bordered Stalker with a Crush towards her - and did weird stuff trying to woo her - and the Chick in turn went as far as kidnap Todd to get his attention. (Todd and the Chick are dating in real life, and this triangle was abandoned after both To Boldly Flee solved it in-universe and Lupa being Mis-blamed on the dismissal of another reviewer made Todd uncomfortable)
- On South Park, Satan is in a relationship with nice-but-boring Chris when his ex-lover, Saddam Hussein, returns to Hell. Saddam kills Chris to get Satan back since he's dead again, Chris just reappears in Hell the next day. Saddam refuses to make peace with Chris and kills him again, only for Chris to start fighting back, and the Love Triangle quickly descends into the two of them murdering each other each day as Satan equivocates about who he wants to be with.