open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The telepods in The Fly.
- Used in Small Soldiers when the two company executives visit the company that made the titular toys' chips (Played for Laughs when the down-to-earth toy maker gets surprised and his Corrupt Corporate Executive friend has to explain "Don't worry, that's meant to happen.").
- When the door to Nicodemus' study opens in The Secret of NIMH, Mrs. Brisby is met with a blast of wind and a blinding light. Not sure why that would happen, except that it looks cool.
- Mentioned as a feature of the secret research facility in The Andromeda Strain.
- This is how the Big Bad Laboratory in Michael Crichton's Prey defended itself against Nanomachines. They failed. Mainly because the swarms took control of the humans. Is it any wonder it failed?
- The X-Wing Series of books has the Imperial labs on Coruscant that were developing the Krytos Virus designed this way. In case of a containment leak and someone came in, the air would flow in instead of out, preventing the virus from leaving the building.
Live Action TV
- The "negative pressure" bit is used in NCIS when HQ suffers a Y. pestis bio-attack.
- The smoking salon on the Hindenburg was kept at positive pressure to prevent any wayward hydrogen atoms from sneaking in. In the end it didn't help but it was a nice idea.