Proper Tights with a Skirt
aka: Proper Tights With Skirt
prim and proper, while still being feminine and fitting in with all of your other female characters. It would usually (with few exceptions) be improper for her to wear pants, but it would be difficult to have her fit in full dresses when all of your other female characters are wearing short, suggestive skirts. The solution is simple - have her wear thick, opaque tights with a skirt. The skirt allows her to fit in with her fellow girls, but the tights ensure that she remains proper and well-covered. It retains that feminine quality, yet prevents the lady from in any way seeming risque. This style of dress is particularly common in Anime with The Ojou and Yamato Nadeshiko. Compare with Skirt over Slacks, which occurs when pants of some description are added to an already modest skirt in order to convey shyness or tomboyishness, and with Modesty Shorts, which ensures modesty for the Action Girl who wears a microskirt. Contrasts with Zettai Ryouiki, which are usually employed to instead enhance the fanservice of the outfit, highlighting innocent, budding sexuality; and with Tights Under Shorts, which incorporates something more boyish than a skirt but is nevertheless used more frequently on girls than on boys. Note that when it comes to children, and especially school uniforms (except where School Uniforms Are the New Black), this is so standard that no examples need to be given.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Belarus from Axis Powers Hetalia wears this whether she's in an Elegant Gothic Lolita outfit, in uniform garb or cosplaying as Alice in Hetaween 2011.
- Shouko Kirishima, from Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts. Hideyoshi Kinoshita also does this sometimes, including with a pink maid dress.
- Black Lagoon:
- Balalaika wears black tights under a long business skirt.
- In Card Captor Sakura, Tomoyo Daidouji has been known to wear this at times, and she also incorporates this style into some of her friend Sakura's CardCaptor costumes.
- Date A Live:
- Kurumi has tights with her school uniform, but the properness she presents is only a façade.
- Namie Yagiri (The Ojou) wears a miniskirt with tights in the anime version of Durarara!!. However, this trope is averted in the original Light Novel, where she wears type A Zettai Ryouiki, as well as in the manga where she's totally bare-legged.
- Hanayamata: Hana stands out for being outgoing, and she's shorter than her friends. Of the five girls, only she wears tights with school uniform and with her dancing kimono.
- Yui from K-On! wears this with her skirt. She is sometimes seen with Zettai Ryouiki in the early manga and has worn regular socks in summer.
- Maken-ki!: Subverted in Haruko's case. While she wears brown nylons with her school uniform, they're semi-transparent, so you can still see what kind of panties she's wearing underneath. And, in this series, you'll be seeing them a lot.
- Worn by Miyuki in Lucky Star, particularly with her school uniform.
- Lyrical Nanoha
- Some of the female Bureau mages wear tights with their uniforms, such as Shamal, who typically wears dresses or long skirts while off duty.
- Victoria Dahlgrun of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid has this as part of her Barrier Jacket, as befitting an Ojou such as her.
- Suzuka's battle outfit in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT is a coat and long dress worn over proper tights, in contrast to Alisa's outfit.
- Umi from Magic Knight Rayearth as she's The Ojou and comes from a high-class school.
- Mariya Shidou from Maria†Holic wears black tights with his (yes, his) uniform and portrays himself publicly as one of the nicer girls. However, when he and Kanako are alone together, his sadistic side rears its ugly head.
- Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! has Kondou and it become Shuusuke's primary fetish.
- Pretty Cure:
- Homura Akemi wears this with her outfits, including her Magical Girl uniform (which, to top it off, adds high-heeled boots incorporated into the tights), in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, except in her flashbacks in episode 10. Mami Tomoe also wears this in her normal attire.
- In episode 9 of Rin Ne, Rinne Rokudo wears this when he's dressed as a Meido.
- Worn by Naru Osaka with her casual clothes in Sailor Moon. Also part of Hotaru Tomoe's wardrobe.
- Sarah Adiemus from School Rumble is the only girl in the series who wears tights with her school skirt.
- Subverted in a sense by Strike Witches, since none of the girls wears a skirt...or pants, for that matter, but prim and proper Gallian noblewoman Perrine and Orussian moe Sanya wears tights.
- G3 from Upotte wears black tights under her school uniform's skirt. Most of her younger sisters (eg. Anyone based on a a G3-derivative) follow suit.
- Sayumi Takanashi from When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace wears tights with her school uniform, was a perfectionist in middle school, and comes from a well-off family.
- Utaha Kasumigaoka of Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata wears tights with most of her outfits, is the top student of her class, and doesn't get into trouble.
- Samantha (the Victorian Era...oops, The Edwardian Era girl) from the American Girl franchise wears this. She expresses dislike for it, especially as her grandmother insists on her wearing long underwear underneath them from September to June (in an attempt to prevent tuberculosis).
- In the first book of The Princess Diaries, Mia's grandmother tries to get her to wear these as part of her princess makeover. It ultimately fails because Mia doesn't like wearing tights and doesn't choose the "right" style.
- Ingrid from Capcom Fighting Evolution and the PSP version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 is outfitted in a similar getup to Yurika, albeit with brown pantyhose instead.
- Princess Alena in Dragon Quest IV. (Although it's less a skirt and more of a tunic.)
- All of the pegasus-riding units in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn have tights under the traditional boots, and Tanith did so in Path of Radiance as well. Syrene from Sacred Stones also wears these in her official artwork.
- In Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Karis wears a minidress with tights, and for a rare male example (!) Rief wears what are either leggings or tights with his tunic (which didn't help the gender confusion any).
- Yukiko Amagi from Persona 4 (pictured above) is the poster child for this.
- Yurika Kirishima, the resident Ojou of Project Justice, wears white pantyhose with her dress.
- The Pacific High School female uniform, which Tiffany Lords wears as her alternate costume in Rival Schools: United By Fate, has dark hose with a miniskirt.
- Justice High School Nurse, Kyoko Minazuki, also sports this look. She is also somewhat an Ojou, albeit an older one.
- Tales of the Abyss: Princess Natalia Luzu-Kimalsca Lanvaldear wears white tights under her short aquamarine dress when you first meet her.
- Fina, the Mysterious Waif from Skies of Arcadia, wears white tights as part of her outfit.