PonyPokey is a comedy trio that puts out episodes of their own Abridged Series
using material from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
, as well doing commentaries, Let's Plays, and their own podcast
. The three people behind it are Jake McCabe, Derek Bennett, and Bobby Schroeder.
Their Youtube page can be found here
and their Tumblr blog can be found here
Friendship is Magic: The Ultimate Abridged Series contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Pinkie Pie. Bobby.
- Axe Crazy: Rarity has shades of this, killing Steven Magnet with one of his scales in Episode 2, and trying to kill Twilight for her train ticket in Episode 3.
- "Shades"? Her Element of Harmony is the spirit of "Cold-Blooded Murder"!
- Comedic Sociopathy: All over, episode 3 especially.
- "We could go down to the humane society and get us a new Granny Smith!"
- Gratuitous Japanese: The Kawaii Desu Desu Ugu Gems of Harmony
- Insistent Terminology: Parptay
- Just Train Wrong: In episode three, this trope is blown way out of proportion. Especially when Pinkie Pie describes a carnival instead of a train.
- Larynx Dissonance: Fluttershy was originally voiced with a comically deep voice.
- Mythology Gag: Of a sort; episode 1 calls Ponyville "West Fillydelphia", which was Ponyville's name while Friendship is Magic was in development.
- National Stereotypes: Zecora in Episode 9.
- Otaku: Twilight is obsessed with anime.
- Reference Overdosed: Homestuck, The Lion King, Inception, Homestuck, Evangelion, Homestuck, One Piece.
- Saw It in a Movie Once: Twilight forces her friends to study up on Neon Genesis Evangelion in episode 7, assuming that the smoke covering Ponyville is coming from an angel, and bases all of her plans around this assumption. She ends up being dead wrong.
- Self-Deprecation: PonyPokey is based primarily on Tumblr. Episode 4 is all about how Tumblr is ruining Applejack's life and wasting all her time.
- Shout-Out: Episode 2 contains a subtle Doctor Who reference.
- Episode 7 is based largely on Evangelion, with references to and music from the series constantly popping up.
- In Episode 8, Twilight, Applejack, and Rarity read the entirety of Homestuck in a week. An argument between Applejack and Rarity (regarding whether or not Homestuck was any good) results in a Pillow Strife battle. Twilight blames Andrew Hussie.
- Spoof Aesop: "I learned today a very valuable lesson: You should not judge a book by its cover. Or someone by their color. Or think that someone's a zombie. And you probably shouldn't break into their house. And I should probably never leave Spike to guard Ponyville ever again."
- Stealth Pun: "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go check on my Dash."
- The Stinger: Almost every episode.
- Synthetic Voice Actor: Spike is voiced by Speakonia.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Gilda is a man.
- Unsound Effect: Spike makes several.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Twilight thought the dragon was an Angel and that they could defeat it like one.
Pony Pokey's other works contain examples of: