- Labor Party: There are two relevant stereotypes.
- Socially conservative proletarian union-member that only wants more welfare handouts and hasn't realized that Marxism is wrong. Will go on strike at the slightest provocation. Is a closet racist. This stereotype is typically directed towards the ALP's Union base.
- Politically correct Ivory-tower intellectual that still believes that Language Equals Thought and dreams of being a Platonic Philosopher-King. Latte-sipping Francophiliac Foucault-loving intellectual snob that looks down upon the lowly workers yet uses them for political gain. Probably gay or bisexual, likes visiting art galleries and secretly is ashamed of Australia's alleged lack of culture. This stereotype is typically directed towards the ALP's supporters in the academic left, as well as wealthier persons that vote for the ALP.
- The Coalition: There are two relevant stereotypes.
- Inner-City Big Business Corrupt Corporate Executive worker-exploiting heartless capitalists. May or may not be religious or racist, but will exploit people's religious or racial sentiments in order to win elections. This stereotype is typically directed towards the Liberal Party (one of the members of the Coalition).
- Rural redneck religious racist protectionist pork-barrel-loving subsidy sluts. Broadly similar to the rural religious right of the American Republicans, but with less emphasis on religion and more emphasis on subsidies and protectionism. This stereotype is typically applied to the National Party (the other member of the Coalition).
- The Greens: Drug-addled nature-worshipping anti-industrial anti-capitalist homosexuals that want us all to return to the caves and hold hands around the (communal!) fire and sing "Kumbaya" together.
- Broadly similar to the United States, although the country's political system is based on Britain's.
- Liberal: Out-of-touch university-educated elitists, likely to be white and Anglo-Saxon despite many supporters being recent immigrants (of which Canada has quite a lot). Also unremittingly arrogant.
- Conservative: Rich, heartless bankers and stockbrokers or religious fanatics who want to ban abortion and gays. Actually likely to be white and Anglo-Saxon (despite having a large Muslim base of supporters). Popular among people who hate immigrants and foreign aid but love Israel.
- New Democratic Party: Anti-war, anti-corporate, pot-smoking hippies who ride bicycles, teach at universities and have mustaches - wait, that's just their leader. (Until he died.) Frequently accused of being pinko socialists, because we all know there is nothing worse on earth than that.
- Also, Journalist Douglas Bell has described his preconceptions of the NDP campaign office as being "beefy union types interacting uneasily with former Marxists and 60s refugees". Union density is greater in Canada than the US and the NDP has had formal connections to the Canadian Labour Congress since it formed in 1961.
- Bloc Québécois: French Jerks. That's it. Most likely to be the Designated Villain.
- Green Party: Sort of like the NDP, but more prone to delivering Green Aesops. Barely figuring on the political scene, they're best known for being the only party led by a woman.
- If Canada's parties were a Five-Man Band (which is convenient, since there actually are fivenote ) they would be as follows: Conservatives - The Big Guy, Liberals - The Smart Guy, NDP - The Heart, Bloc - Token Evil Teammate, Greens - The Chick.
- Front de Gauche (Left Front) : Old union members that hate the rich, go on strike on any occasion, and stubbornly oppose any modernisation of the economy. Secretly want a communist state.
- Parti socialiste - PS : Utterly incompetent people that never do what they say they would once in power, which means, in practice, they're Not So Different than the UMP. Disgruntled public workers that keep stupidly "voting usefully", LGBT folks that want kids at all costs, teachers that corrupt children's minds, hypocritical progressive urban upper middle class, and other people that aren't bothered by the gargantuan size of government and/or the economical status quo.
- EELV (The Greens): Urban Bourgeois Bohemian Cloudcuckoolanders that pretend to care for the environment while taking expensive trips abroad.
- UDI-Modem : Economical elites/western peasants that still believe hard in the European Union despite all austerity policies. Also, they still blindly want to be allies with the UMP, despite those being gone so far to the right (see below).
- Union pour un Mouvement Populaire - UMP : Old xenophobic, homophobic, security-obsessed, dishonest, hypocritical Catholics and/or neoliberal capitalist friends of big business. Often opportunistic to the point of seemingly having no convictions besides being Sarkozy fanboys, and may sound just plain ridiculous from time to time. Are blind to the many corruption scandals/questionable political maneuvers that affect their favourite party.
- PCD : Fundamentalist Catholics that are homophobic to the point of clinical insanity. Also, want to control women's bodies and hate anything that isn't Christian.
- Front National - FN : Racist, reactionary white trash that utterly hate any kind of immigrants (but especially Muslims and Roma), the EU, and the euro. Want death penalty reinforced with a police state to boot. May be secretly antisemitic, or at least be conspiracy theorists. They find nothing to say about all the horrible things Jean-Marie Le Pen said, and despite voting for a woman, they're quite sexist.
- CDU (Christian Democratic Union): The bland, weak-willed, inoffensive centre-conservative party who put the word Christian in their name because they thought it sounded principled. Tend to get middle and higher class support, mostly from populous central West Germany, despite being headed by a host of (former) East Germans. On the fence on about any issue, no matter if domestic or foreign, social or political (unless PR pressure gets too loud), but in any case ruthlessly pro-economy, pro-business and selling out on an international level. Adore the EU like it's their personal cash cow, even though it's the sort of pet that also eats cash. They like America, no matter what it might do; they like foreigners in general, provided that they do their part for the economy. Definitely perforated by lobbyism.
- CSU (Christian Social Union): The Bavarian lite version of the CDU which is pretty similar, but actually backward and conservative, to appease the wealthy upper class toffs and old Catholic rural folk inhabiting the state. Have a knack for clueless economic pursuits and stuttering old fools they call politicians. Don't really like foreigners, but not too loudly. Also perforated by lobbyism.
- SPD (Social Democratic Party): The resident champagne socialist and cigar-chomping union bosses' party whose main purpose in life is to point out everything the CDU does wrong, but solve nothing. Get mostly elected by the middle classes of the North, big city folks everywhere, and occasionally even some working class. Is under the delusion that, since they are the oldest German party still in existence (having already been around to annoy old Kaiser Wilhelm), they must have a monopoly on the moral high ground and all that is democratic and liberal, and yet rather wouldn't deal with the other parties' constant interference. But ironically, they usually end up sitting side-by-side with their conservative arch-rivals, secretely figuring that such a big economic focus is in fact a little too beneficial to simply do away with. Rather wary of America, and not entirely opposed to Putin's Russia. Ironically, perforated by lobbyism too.
- FDP (Free Democratic Party): The main old-school middle-class Liberal party, once a blooming dandelion, but now just an obscure speck of rotting humus on the compost heap, ever since it was overrun by ridiculously right-wing pseudo-intellectuals shamelessly whoring after big companies in exchange for 'private donations', to a degree that rivals even the CDU. Despite being Germany's self-styled No.1 sloth-destroying and government teat-clamping force, they still keep up their phony civil rights agenda to distract from the fact that the party has forever lost all significance. Think of the LibDems, only right-wing and with even less spine. Perhaps the flag ship of lobbyist perforation.
- Alliance 90 / The Greens: A jumbled mess of a coalition of Granola Girls, New Age Retro Hippies, Bourgeois Bohemians, and please-believe-us-we're-not-communist socialists from both sides of the Berlin Wall. Like wind turbines, cultural diversity and free love, but hate cars and industry - it doesn't take a politologist to understand why most Germans ignore them (save maybe the students and cyclists of non-religious Baden-Württemberg).
- The Left: The party for socialists seeking to flee the bourgeois Social Democrats and the Green hippies. They like to call themselves Marxists and maybe Leninists, but wisely stop just short of Stalin, Ulbricht and Honecker. Mostly a party for old disillusioned former East German communists, by old disillusioned former East German communists, and would probably just like to go back to the olden days. Like to style themselves as the peoples' underground, valiantly resisting domination by all the bigger, more successful and more relevant fascist parties, the decadent EU, the sabre-rattling NATO, and of course America. They prefer Putin and Russia's sabre-rattling, because.
- NPD (National Democratic Party): Germany's last patriotic party - in other words, Nazis (to an extent that's still legal in Germany). Like German mothers in German kitchens making many German babies. Miss the old days when anyone who wasn't male, white, German or Christian could be put in their place by a strong government, without all the pesky principles of unity, justice and freedom from the anthem. Also Germany's leading Hypocrisy partynote . They're very racist. And sexist. And xenophobic. And Islamophobic. And antisemitic. And anti-EU. And anti-American. But surprisingly pro-Russian. Naturally, nobody wants to get caught dead doing business with those guys. Except actual Nazis and other Racist Grandmas as well as - ironically enough - East German skinheads whose parents have only ever seen Western open-mindedness from behind an iron curtain.
- Fianna Fáil: upper middle class businessmen and lawyers with faulty memories when it comes to personal finances and a penchant for corruption. What Fine Gael would be like in power.
- Fine Gael: Inept political opportunists always eager for a bandwagon to jump on. What Fianna Fáil would be like if not in power.
- Labour: The political wing of the trade unions and mouthpiece of the disgruntled working class. Also seen as too right for the Sinn Fein and other leftists.
- The Green Party: Wishy-washy environmentalists who sold their soul to Fianna Fáil by going into coalition with them and will soon be disbanded.
- Progressive Democrats: Fianna Fáil splinter group which soon hopped back into bed with them but kept the name. Disbanded due to redundancy and its remaining parliamentary members absorbed into the government.
- Sinn Féin: The IRA. Though they continuously deny it. Generally seen as the Designated Villian by Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil. At best, they are Patriotic zealots with no idea how to actually govern a country.
- Republican Sinn Féin: The above turned Up to Eleven.
- Independants: Random people loyal only to the interests of their constituents and/or being re-elected by said consitutents, with far too much power to influence the shape of the government.
- Likud: Impoverished, ignorant, Mizrahi ne'er-do-wells; probably at most twice removed from some kingpin criminal family; worship power and corruption which they view as the natural state of things, as long as they're not the victims thereof; racist; oppose the concept of human rights on a matter of principle; think entirely in terms of government propaganda; would still vote Likud, like their father and grandfather did before them, even if it was headed by a goat.
- Yisrael Beitenu: All Russian stereotypes apply automatically. Also: Ultra-right-wing, racist trigger-happy sociopaths, secretly wish they were living in a dictatorship, mentally stuck in the '90s, think the Israeli-Palestinian conflict could and should be solved with a couple of thermonuclear warheads, have a poster of party head Lieberman which they salute every morning right after they get out of bed.
- Yesh Atid: Twentysomething mainstream tools with delusions of political awareness and no clue; fight for their favorite cause by 'liking' it on Facebook; think that them having to settle for a less shiny Mercedes is a national-scale issue; allergic to decisive, tangible opinions about things, let alone facts; think they personally define what being an Israeli really means; equally resent Arabs, Haredim, settlers, left-wing people, right-wing people and anyone with the audacity not to shut up and be like everyone else; bandwagon-jumpers; suckers; sheeple.
- Labor: White Ashkenazi kibbutznik pensioners, shamelessly reveling in having most of the privilege and longing for the days they had ALL of the privilege; like to talk about the peace process a lot even though they have no idea what they would do with one if they caught up with it; half the things they think, say and do are for the sole purpose of spiting Likudniks, and the other half is based on a deep-seated delusion that they know anything about economics; condescending, think people who disagree with them are just poor misinformed fools; wannabe revolutionaries; ardent believers in having your cake and eating it too; miss the good old days when Israel had a 120% income tax; quietly resent the downfall of communism.
- The Jewish Home: Religious messianic nuts dancing in shorts and sandals around an abandoned hill somewhere deep into disputed Judea & Samaria territory, carrying a loaded M-16 rifle, singing "Take counsel together, and it shall be brought to nought", shooting random passer-by Palestinians, sucking on the government's teat while giving it the finger.
- United Torah Judaism: Religious orthodox nuts dancing around a burning trash can in the Me'a Shearim neighborhood in Jerusalem, singing something incomprehensible in Yiddish, spitting on six-year-old girls for not dressing modestly enough, shouting "Gevald!!!" and "Shabbess!!!" and throwing Molotov cocktails and stones at the police, sucking on ALL the government's teats while sticking their finger in its eye and openly opposing the existence of the state it's governing.
- Shas: See United Torah Judaism. note
- Meretz: Filthy rich, self-important, 7-on-the-Kinsey-scale, "artist type" hipsters with a BA in gender studies and no day job who sit all day sipping latte and eating sushi in 'trendy' places in Tel Aviv while holding conversation in vacuous, convoluted, self-important academese about "the occupation"; hypocrites who talk about "human rights" to conceal their complete and total support of any force opposing western civilization; think any position right to theirs in the ideological spectrum is fascism and use their nigh-complete stranglehold on the mainstream media to spread propaganda to that effect.
- Hadash: Arabs, Communists, and Arab Communists.
- Partito Democratico: a bunch of self-righteous post-communist straw-leftist/former centrist bureocrats who might or might not be just a foil to Silvio Berlusconi's existence, except for the current Prime Minister and Party's General Secretary, Matteo Renzi, which is definitely a young clone of Silvio Berlusconi himself. They love putting hidden taxes everywhere while claiming to lower them. Their party has less criminals than Forza Italia, but it doesn't really matter since they just hate governing, and will do everything to lose even the most easy-to-win election (or to spoil the result by dropping in parlamentary consensus immediately afterwards).
- Forza Italia: former criminals claiming to be honest centrist while they are really just modern money-thirsty fascists. The party is really just a way to give Silvio Berlusconi, the all-mighty party leader, another opportunity to avoid his trials and steal even more, and to give his companions a way to power. They hate Europe for no real reason and want to restore the Lira (Italy's former currency). Their political campaigns are wildly populistic. They always promise liberal reforms, lowering of taxes and "more democracy", while secretly want to put up a totalitarian state held by Berlusconi and ban all judges from existence. Probably also free-masons.
- Movimento 5 Stelle: All-hating Hive Mind, entirely composed of incompetent simpletons who might or not be aware of being controlled by a former all-hating comedian Beppe Grillo (who is acutally a puppet for Gianroberto Casaleggio), who doesn't really know anything about state-managing except that yelling and cursing is a good way to make a point. The party claims to be the only real democratic force in Italy, while Grillo is strongly implied of being Benito Mussolini's new host. Known for expelling people from the party for no real reason other than believing in free-speech.
- Lega Nord: All-hating Hive Mind, entirely composed of incompetent simpletons, but only of northern descent. Also racists.
- Norwegian Labour Party: Workers, Bureaucrats and Champagne Socialists who want to put a tax, ban or restrict everything while they would rather not have other political parties exist at all. Have a mutual love-affair with the oil industry and wants to put an oil rig in every home. Secretly racist. Either loves or hates the European Union.
- Conservative Party: Upper Class Twits who loved the good old days when women couldn't vote, strikers were locked up and everyone were Christian. Secretly racist. Loves the European Union and would rather Norway was ruled from Brussels. Either old bankers who think 'poor' means 'stupid moocher' or student who have never had a real job and uses their parents' money to buy designer clothes.
- Progress Party: Rednecks, welfare-recipients and rich people who only want cheap liquor, zero taxes and who hates immigrants and muslims. Openly racist. Drives over to Sweden to buy liquor, meat and tobacco. Thinks they are for the Common Man while hating homosexuals, non-Norwegians, people on welfare, public workers and farmers. Hates the European Union. Recently sold-out to the Conservative Party, and are the party Anders Behring Breivik was a part of.
- Christian People's Party: Crazy southern Christians and house-wives who thinks gays, abortion and atheism is evil. Alternatively crazy muslims who think gays, abortion and atheism is evil. Secretly racist. Doesn't care about the European Union as long as it isn't atheist.
- Centre Party: Redneck farmers who would side with anyone as long as it keeps the tariffs and agricultural subsidies up. Wants to kill all predators, but particularly wolves. Have participated in both right-wing and left-wing governments. Secretly racist. Thinks the European Union are worse than Satan.
- Liberal Party: Right-wing Liberal middle-class hippies who love immigrants but hates getting votes. Used to be a major political party, but struggle with getting 4% these days. Not racist. Loves the European Union.
- Socialist Left Party: Champagne-sipping socialist hippies who have never had a real job and wants immigrants to outnumber ethnic Norwegians by 2015. Hates the economy, industry and prosperity. Hates Christians but loves Muslims. Hates the European Union.
- Red: Old communists who have abandoned armed revolution for latte-sipping pacifism and students in Che Guevara t-shirts who have never had a real job. Carries around small pictures of Mao, while decrying everyone else as authoritarians. Loves immigrants and islam, but hate Christians and ethnic norwegians. Hates the European Union.
- Green Environmental Party: Bunch of hippies who wants everyone to recycle electric apparatuses, end the oil industry (and any other industry) and live of berries and leaves. Wants everyone to knit their own socks, become vegetarian and hates progress and technology. Somehow managed to get an MP in 2013, despite no-one having heard about them before.
- The Democrats: Racists who think the Progress Party are a bunch of immigrant-lovers, and would rather abolish all taxes but still increase the government budget. Claim they aren't racist but are utterly unable to hide it.
- The Christians: Christian Fundies who think the Christian People's Party are for homo-loving atheists, and would rather everyone go to church every day and gays be flogged on the street. Openly racist.
- Coastal Party: Pissed-off northerners who only care about fishing quotas and keeping the country white. Hates the European Union.
- Communist Party of Norway: Pensioners who yearns for the days of World War 2 when they killed nazis and had a semblance of popular support. Wants to have the state run everything, ban all other parties and change the flag into the Soviet flag. Hates the European Union, but not as much as NATO.
- Liberal People's Party: Ultra right-wing middle class students who have read Atlas Shrugged and wants to privatize everything and legalize heroin. Hates the European Union.
- Pirate Party: Kids who never get off their computers and only cares about being able to download movies and games. Have no politics beyond being able to do that.
- Civic Platform: Unprincipled centrists who will say absolutely anything to stay in power. They break every single promise they make but still get elected by blinkered, contented middle-class types who don't really want change.
- Law and Justice: Radical conservatives who would probably have gay people flogged publicly if they ever got into power and act as if Communism had never ended. They constantly claim to be defending freedom and democracy in Poland, yet probably secretly wish they didn't have to deal with all those other parties.
- Polish People's Party: Greedy subsidy-junkie farmers who will go into coalition with anyone as long as they agree to keep giving them more subsidies and cozy civil service jobs for their relatives.
- Democratic Left Alliance: Former members of the Communist Party who were going to bring back Communism the second they got elected, until they realised that they could steal just as much money under capitalism. Secretly wish Civic Platform would die so its voters would have to switch to them, but that doesn't stop them trying to get into coalition with them anyway.
- Your Movement: Irrationally loathe the Catholic Church and anything even remotely conservative. Actually just a platform for one guy who can't decide whether he wants to be left or right-wing on economics.
- Congress of the New Right: A platform for one old guy who thinks that gutting all social programmes and privatising everything that moves is the answer to all economic woes and that women should stay in the kitchen and not vote or anything. The average supporter is a 16-year-old who spends all day on the internet posting memes of said old guy. They haven't ever gotten into parliament, yet remain under the delusion that they would easily win an election if only the people could see the brilliance of their programme.
- National Movement: A bunch of neo-Nazi football hooligans who think that Law and Justice isn't conservative enough. They'll never get into parliament either, but have just enough supporters to run riot in the capital every year on Independence Day.
- Social-Democratic Party: Former Communist low-ranking bureaucrats, teachers and professionals, enriched by dubious means during the 1990s, held power within an iron grip from 1990 to 1996, 2000 to 2004 and 2012 to date. Their stereotypical image is that of Communists longing for a dictatorship of their own.
- National Liberal Party: Modern descendant of the pre-1945 party of the same name, uses a pro-free-market speech to attract the vote of modern professionals and businessmen. Campaigned successfully for a liberal taxation system from 2004 onwards.
- Liberal Democratic Party: Composed mainly of politicians who deserted from the other two major parties over time. Used a rather anti-elitist approach in their post-2004 public speech and therefore stereotypically treated as power-hungry loutish characters.
- United Russia (ER): The party of Vladimir Putin, Dmitry Medvedev, and 40% of Russia. A centrist-conservative-left party that supports the Kremlin's plans for centralization and unity, turning Russia from The Federation into The Republic. Supporters are mocked as either nostalgic for the days when the Soviet government ruled everything, plutocrats who are tied up with The Mafiya, neo-militarists, or unimaginative people who follow Putin because so many others do.
- Communist Party of the Russian Federation (KPRF): The second-largest party, supported by about 19% of the people. Mostly supported by old people and scientists who miss the security of the Soviet days before The Mafiya took over, plus the Josef Stalin fans, but have placed a Nostalgia Filter over the tyrannical aspects of the Soviet Union. Their leader, "Papa" Zyuganov, is accused of running a Cult of Personality.
- Liberal-Democratic Party of Russia (LDPR): The LDPR is the Politically Incorrect Villain of Russian parties. It is pro-Russian and hates Jews, Americans, Asians, and anything else non-Slavic. Fascist, nationalist, poor. Appropriately enough, led by half-Jewish aggressive demagogue Zhirinovsky. At its most friendly, it is a Sour Supporter of the Kremlin.
- Fair Russia (SR): A social-democratic party that officially acts as the voice for progressive social reform and human rights. In the Duma, it is seen as the Fox News Liberal of parties, not daring to say much against the Kremlin lest it provoke the ire of Vladimir Putin. It has picked up many supporters from...
- Yabloko: A liberal-democratic party that promoted democracy, social reform, and human rights. Its supporters were derided as soft middle-class liberals who are trying to import American liberalism. Was kicked out of the Duma for insufficient returns in elections.
- Right Way: as it is seen in the name, classic right-wing party. Supports capitalism, pro-western politics, human rights and can be viewed somewhat like the British Conservative Party. Has little support because pro-western politics and other became increasingly unpopular in the Russian public.
- National Bolshevik Party (Nazbol): A mad party who want Russia to form a massive Eurasian empire. Hates America and authoritarian governments, such as that of Vladimir Putin. However, its symbol looks like the Nazi flag with a hammer and sickle in place of the swastika. Naturally, it is banned.
- Russian Communist Workers' Party - Revolutionary Party of Communists (RKRP - RPK): The party of the real, old-fashioned Communists, who consider the KPRF to be too soft and too bourgeois-fascist. Stages demonstrations and claims to be behind the biggest strikes, earning it a reputation as a Glory Hound. This party really does want to bring back the Soviet Union.
- Party For People Freedom (PARNAS): Everyone who does not want to cooperate with Putin. Party is banned.
- The PAP: The ruling party. Has been in power for a longer time than the country has actually existed. Supporters are mocked as extremely conservative, well-off, bureaucratic and stuffy white picket fence traditionalists who would happily give up freedom of speech and expression just as long as the money keeps rolling in.
- The Opposition: Every other political party in the country falls under this, such is the domination of the PAP. Citizens often cannot tell the Worker's Party, the Singapore Democratic Party, the National Solidarity Party etc. apart. Supporters are mocked as young, naive, Internet-addicted starry-eyed idealists who don't have real jobs and complain for the sake of complaining.
- Christian Democratic People's Party (CVP): Wishy-washy, nice Cloud Cuckoo Landers whom nobody's listening to, anyway. Want to uphold the social market economy to neither offend the big business capitalists who propagate economic freedom nor the wacky socialists in their quest for, well...social justice. Due to the "C" in their party name, they are always stammering about social/family values just in order to sound relevant.
- Social Democratic Party (SP): Damn socialists (see above) and pacifist sissies who hate guns and aim to ruin the country through welfare programs, universal health care and above all, dragging poor Switzerland into the European Union, seeking to destroy her great heritage of independence, neutrality and her strong economy. Oh, and they are drug addicts, of course.
- Free Democratic Party (FDP): Greedy loan sharks who promote big business and a strong, capitalist economy (see above). Libertarian to the core.
- Swiss People's Party (SVP): Retarded, right-wing xenophobes who want to keep Switzerland isolated from the influence of every country which is not so great as her, which would happen to be every nation which does not tend to begin with "switzer" and end with "land". Despite pretending to be on the farmer's side, they suck up to the rich ones by propagating tax cuts for them.
- Kuomintang (Nationalist Party, KMT): The KMT leads the Blue Coalition in Taiwan, and is the oldest Chinese party, dating back to 1919. It used to be the only party in Taiwan until about 20 years ago. Its supporters are plutocrats who want to take control of all of China under a "One China" policy, and have sold out to the Communists by promoting rapprochement.
- Democratic Progressive Party (DPP): The DPP is the Bourgeois Bohemian party of new-age progressive democrats who want Taiwan to become its own country, but do not realize doing that would risk war with Red China.
- Labour: working-class benefits scrounger, illegal immigrant, asylum seeker, or all three, plus the "champagne socialists" (rich progressives), who are seen as eating tofu and hummus, as well as being knee-jerk Anti-Tory and having an obsessive desire to be identified with the working-class. Will inevitably morph once in office to become ultra-authoritarian. Spend all the money they have and indeed, the money they don't have. If this spending results in increased efficiency (however small), it is obviously a massive success. If it doesn't work, throw more money at it and the problem will sort itself out. While in opposition, will decry Tory policies and promise to repeal them once in power, then tamely accept them as the status quo and do nothing once in power. Loathed for betrayal by many former voters.
- Conservatives: Upper-class public-school toffs who want to take more money from the poor to give to the rich, and have duped the workers. They are either mocked as ultra-traditionalist "Shire Tories" who live in the countryside and are obsessed with the nobility and Victorian values; or otherwise slimy young middle-class libertarians who want to abolish the NHS while everyone's backs are turned. Despite a libertarian streak, this only applies to economic policy, and social policies e.g. drug policy reform, surveillance, smoking legislation, remain largely similar to Labour, for fear of upsetting the terrified parents of Middle England.
- Liberal Democrat: Cloudcuckoolander who believes his party will ever get in power, or alternatively Labour-lite or, more recently, Tory-Lite. Now actually in power. Once a party which was seen as 'trendy' to support, 'cos the others were too mainstream or something like that. These days, also stereotyped as somewhat hypocritical for jumping into bed with a party they had previously talked about as if it was their archnemesisnote .
- Green : The Bog-Standard Green Stereotype. Bunch of bonkers hippy throwbacks, probably want to extend voting rights to fish, want the NHS to give more priority to crystal healing than heart transplants, are inherently suspicious of anything that could conceivably benefit humanity.
- BNP (British National Party): Racist. Although they've recently been forced to allow non-white members to join and many actually have. These non-white members are also racist. For example, a Sikh man who hated Muslims was delighted to find like-minded comrades in the BNP. Their main enemies are of course the awful Muslamic ray guns. Specialize at being losing incumbent councilors and having leadership crises.
- UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party): A bunch of sexist, xenophobic Little Englanders. Basically the Tories taken Up to Eleven and then some. Obsessed with World War 2 and compare the Third Reich with the EU constantly. Either seen making tired national stereotypes about the French or fervently campaigning against political correctness. Reads the Daily Express. Believes the EU had banned bendy bananas and cars with more than three wheels. Has obsessed fantasies about launching their own resistance movement against the evil nasty Europeans. Claims to be anti-establishment. Managed to forget to put down their own name on the ballot at the recent London Election.
- SNP (Scottish National Party): Bunch of whiny Scots with colossal egos who watched Braveheart and decided that it should be brought into the 21st century. Basically Labour but more mawkishly nationalistic and more hostile to criticism. Leeches money off English people while claiming they don't need it. Too obsessed with trying to get independence for Scotland to concentrate on actually running Scotland. Consider themselves to be utterly infallible.
- Plaid Cymru: Have a stupid name, obsessed with the necromancy of a long-forgotten and incomprehensible language, physically incapable of doing anything constructive in power. Basically think of all the stereotypes of a Welshman and imagine a whole horde of them. Charming, eh?
- Respect: A hodge-podge alliance of aging, unwashed liberals ready to scream "Military-Industrial Complex" if they so much as see a soldier walking to the newsagents, and bearded Muslim Fundamentalists hell-bent on imposing Shariah law in London.
- Sinn Fein: Terrorists who have accidently become politicians. Never show up for work, not that they would get let in if they did.
- DUP (Democratic Unionist Party) : Really, really, really conservative. Thinks gay people are abominations or something like that
- Independents : Principled egalitarians who prefer to stay above the pettiness of party politics. In reality though, they are just too egotistical to join a real party.
- Democrat / Progressive / Liberal: Tree-hugging, abortion-loving, gun-hating, bleeding-heart politically correct ACLU member who hates America, worships anything Europe does as gospel, believes in instituting racism to eliminate racism, wants a government telescreen sticking out of every wall, enjoys killing fetuses and the elderly, and doesn't understand economics.
- Republican / Conservative: Free market, religious nut, gun lover, heartless, warmongering, jingoistic, pro-surveillance, pro-second amendment NRA member, hypocritical Moral Guardian who hates most of the people in America and also does not understand economics.
- Libertarian: Depends on who is writing the stereotype:
- According to Conservatives: amoral, drug-addled, seditious and disloyal, sex-and-drug obsessed Hollywood Atheist types who worship Ayn Rand. But they understand economics.
- According to Liberals: Hyper-capitalist, heartless, Social Darwinist Nietzsche Wannabe crypto-Republicans that want Hobbesian anarchy and everyone to wear tinfoil hats, worship Ayn Rand and doesn't understand economics. But they do support civil liberties.
- According to Ayn Rand: Crazy, anti-intellectual, anarchist hippies who need to come to their senses and outgrow those silly superstitions; and don't worship Ayn Rand correctly.
- Green: Like Democrat, but kinda goofy, has way more emphasis on hugging trees, and likely to be a drug addict. Passed up economics class altogether to take another elective on Snowy Owl habitats. The Hufflepuff House of American Politics. Their perpetual presidential candidate, Ralph Nader, is seen as a doddering old man who stole Al Gore's victory and gave the presidency to George W. Bush. Now both the left and the right can hate the Greens.
- Constitution: Similar to Republican, with antisemitism and isolationism. Their main platform is establishing a Christian theocracy, although they hate it when you use the word "theocracy" to describe it, and reject the parts of the Republican platform they consider to be inconsistent with "Christian values". Are often accused of not wanting to actually follow the constitution, are disliked by the right for being against free trade, and the left for pretty much everything else, and doesn't understand economics.
- Tea Party: Not an actual party, but the name for a movement. The extreme right wing of the Republican Party, a Politically Incorrect Villain with a Hair-Trigger Temper. Supporters are either plutocrats who don't want to pay one cent more on taxes, violent nationalists, archaic fundamentalists, or rubes who have been duped into opposing progressive social reforms that could actually help them. Represented and unofficially led by Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin. Stereotyped as having No Indoor Voice. And doesn't understand economics.
- Occupy Wall Street: The left wing version of the Tea Party. Seen as "overeducated" hipsters who don't want to work but want the government to give everything to them, have no respect for authority and laws, rape people in tents, and is completely unorganized with no central cause, as it is made up of progressives, populists, libertarians, anarchists, and everyone in between. They also hate rich people and want to eat them, which is proof that they don't understand economics.
- Far-Left: Be they anarchist, socialist, communist, or hardcore libertarian (but especially anarchists), these are the people likely to turn protests into riots, carry extremely offensive signs right before they start the riot ("fuck the troops", etc.), listen to obnoxious punk rock that advocates smashing property, make art installations that usually call for murdering pop culture/the upper/middle class/government/all of them, and really fucking hate the upper and middle class.
- John Birch Society: A Red Scare-era anti-communist organization which would do Senator McCarthy proud. Why it's still around after the end of the Cold War is a mystery to everyone. Known for indulging in conspiracy theories involving fluoridation and The Illuminati. The United Nations is Satan in their world view, hence their Catch Phrase "Get U.S. out of the U.N.". This is because their ideological goals nowadays are primarily based on opposition to globalization, based on the view that globalization is an Evil Plan to create a One World Order run by Dirty Communists. Therefore, you may hear John Birchers use the words "communist" and "globalist" as though they were synonyms. Considered a joke by most people, but nevertheless has some ties with the Tea Party movement.
- Christian Democratic Appeal (CDA): Crusty, tired carreer politicians and Moral Guardians who bend with the wind to make sure they are always in any government, preferably at the head. The slimy, underhanded southern Catholic and Protestant aristocrat make up the party elite. Wants to impose a Nanny State and right wing policies on everyone.
- People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD): Liberal Conservatives whose pro-gay, pro-choice, pro-euthanasia liberal views are sold out cheaper than the body of a junkie in need of a fix to get the support of fundy MPs and senators. The party that steals from the poor and gives to the rich Corrupt Corporate Executives that make up their prime supporters, whose mismanagement is never punished. They don't understand economics.
- Labour Party (PVDA): Out-of-touch middle class intellectuals and union bosses whose career in politics is a springboard to much cushier positions at the United Nations, large banking establishments and national corporations. They do understand economics, because that's often a prerequisite for the job you accept after serving as a minister for the faction.
- Socialist Party (SP): Dirty Commies who became a modern democratic party when The Wall fell. Their strict rules on MP salaries are the dark side of Screw the Money, I Have Rules!. They can carry out activist protests well enough and are the Working Class Hero in party form. But they still don't understand economics.
- Freedom Party (PVV): Far Right Islamophobes who claim to be defending freedom and democracy from immigrants as they all toe the line set by their all-powerful party leader who can't be replaced as the party doesn't have any membership. Propose many schizophrenic left and right policies which sound popular, but only prove they don't understand economics. Home to many disenfranchised lower level educated citizens with a select group of dubiously enfranchised high level educated citizens, one will urinate in your letterbox, the other runs a fraud scheme with government papers. Will support a right wing government until it makes them look unpopular.
- Lakas-Kampi (Christian Democrats)- party who are too in cahoots with President Gloria Arroyo. Also seen as pro-US.
- Nacionalista (Nationalists)- too anti-poor but at least less reluctant to be pro-American. But pro-US still.
- Liberals- the party of Ninoy and the current President. Ripe for being targets for the so-called "Noynoying" (planking).
- Nationalist People's Coalition - party of Eduardo Cojuangco and many prominent businessmen. Lacks any principle.
- United Nationalist Alliance - Party of Joseph Estrada. Pro-poor they claim.
- National Unity Party - defectors from Lakas-Kampi. The less said of them the better.
- New Society Movement - the party of Marcos. Seen as fascists, but if you are from the northern Philippines, consider them to be the real party of the people.
- LDP (People's Democratic Struggle) - too traditionalists, the only claim to it that it opposed Ferdinand Marcos.
- Bangon Pilipinas (Rise Philippines) - considered as reliable, even though the leader was a fundamentalist Christian ex-activist pastor.
- Akbayan - Social Democrats. Hated by other Leftist groups for joining the Liberals.
- Bayan Muna - again, Social Democrats. Consider Akbayan as too rightist, the rest considered the party as a Commie sockpuppet.
- Communists - oh, there are many of them. The main communist faction is Maoist and is considered as insane. It's formerly pro-Moscow faction is unheard of. The new Marxist-Leninist Party of the Philippines may be forgiven for breaking with the main Communist party, but is considered as thugs. Naturally, all of them are banned.
- Sanlakas - basically like the other three aforementioned parties, but largely independent. Will ally with them only if they had common enemy to hate.
- Moro Islamic Liberation Front - a break away faction of the Moro National Liberation Front. Generally seen as ruthless terrorists who take people hostage, and attack people without warning, with a determined goal of creating a separate Islamic nation from the Philippines.
- The Social Democrats - Social Democracy. Supported by older workers who doesn't know any better, losers who wants a handout and champaign socialists. Haven't gotten over the fact that OTHER people get to say things to. Hates freedom and money. Loves taxes and immigrants.
- The Moderates - Conservatives. Voters consists of rich people who want to reenact feudalism and middle class families who don't want to pay their maids. Hates the poor and the sick. Secretly misses the time when only they got to vote. Hates and loves immigrants.
- The Environmental Party - Greens. Tree hugging hippies and progressive students without a job. Is doing really well but no one knows why. Secretly socialists. Loves immigrants.
- The Peoples Party - Liberals. Loves schools but couldn't run them properly to save their lives. Supported by those in the Middel class who consider the Moderates to be to mainstream. Loves immigrants.
- The Center Party - Center. Used to represent the farmers but today no one has the slightest idea of what they want, least of all themselves. Might be trying to muscle into their fellow coalition members territory. Wants polygamy. Loves immigrants.
- The Christian Democrats - Christian Democrats. Religious fundamentalists who hates gays and atheists but loves Jesus, children and the elderly. Kinda neutral about immigration.
- The Sweden Democrats - Nationalists. Nazis, fascists, racists and other bad words. Hates immigrants and loves the good old days when everyone was white and kept quiet. Prone to violence.
- The Party of the Swedes - the Sweden Democrats are Jewish sellouts.
- Swedish Resistance Movement - the Party of the Swedes are weaklings who refuses to see that anything but an armed uprising will prevent the Jewpocalypse.
- The Party of the Swedes - the Sweden Democrats are Jewish sellouts.
- The Left Party - Socialists. Was, and properly still is communists. Either hardened revolutionaries or politically correct left wing academics. Man hating femnazis. Loves Cuba but hates Israel. Secretly misses the USSR. Loves immigrants (especially Muslims) the most.
- Feminist Initiative - Feminists. Feminist left wing academics who left the feminist left wing academics in the Left Party for not being big enough feminist left wing academics. Want to kill all men.
If you are from another country, please feel free to put in your stereotypes. In any case, there are lots of variations on stereotypes. Not all stereotypes are bad, and not all of them are entirely inaccurate (or defamatory). But they can offend people. This trope is about any kind of way that media tries to make the "other side" look bad. See also: Blonde Republican Sex Kitten and Granola Girl. If a negative stereotype was created just to make the hero look good, or his views seem right, then it is a Strawman Political.
open/close all folders
- The Film Actors' Guild (FAG), from the film Team America: World Police, is a parody of strawman liberals, to the point where they ally with Kim Jong-Il (the film's Big Bad) in a misguided attempt to bring peace to the world. The heroes approach the conservative side, although they are clearly a bunch of bungling destructive idiots.
- The movie Shooter had the cartoonishly evil Republican Senator Charles Meachum.
- Forrest Gump depicts the '60s counterculture and the antiwar movement as being naive at best and smug, hypocritical, and violent at worst. Note that it's not a strawman to point out that many radical leftists were violent; at some anti-war meetings, members actually discussed what politicians to try to kill if they supported the war. The film also features the Black Panthers, who openly advocated (and used) violence. That said, Jenny is treated sympathetically in her opposition to the war-it seems to be more showing that diverse opinions existed within the movement, which was true.
- General Ripper from Dr. Strangelove, who launches a nuclear strike on the USSR because he believes water fluoridation to be a Communist plot. Some Truth in Television in that one—that belief was actually held by some members of the far-right John Birch Society.
- Stephen King's The Mist has as an antagonist a crazy old lady, Mrs. Carmody, who rallies the scared people to offer a human sacrifice to appease the deadly mist... apparently as demanded by God in The Bible, citations of actual verses be darned.
- See also every single Christian character he's ever depicted, ever.
- The Big Lebowski in...er, The Big Lebowski is a downplayed example. While he's never explicitly pegged as belonging to any particular party, his dialogue strongly parallels Real Life Republican rhetoric, as when he unfairly accuses The Dude of "looking for a handout," lectures The Dude on the importance of personal responsibility, and flies into a rage when The Dude rightly points out that, as the men who vandalized The Dude's apartment did so because of Lebowski's wife's debts, Lebowski himself bears at least some responsibility for what happened. Not to mention he's liberally spending other people's money in secret, and that penchant for hypocrisy is yet another stereotypically Republican trait.
- Played for Laughs in Airplane!. The airplane disaster is discussed by a spoof of a then-current left-wing vs. right-wing TV discussion panel. The right-winger's view?
"I say let 'em crash!"
Live Action TV
- The Colbert Report, as a satirical pundit show, has both. Stephen Colbert's entire purpose for existing is to serve as a strawman conservative. In the early days of the show he was occasionally contrasted with liberal strawman milquetoast Russ Lieber, played by comedian David Cross. More recently, he has begun imagining his liberal opposite from a Mirror Universe, who wears tweed jackets and has a mustache, among other things.
- Briefly, during the show's coverage of the Vancouver Olympics, he also had a dour effete French Canadian counterpart who hosted the "Colbert Report" (both "t"'s pronounced)
- Cold Case featured an episode where modern-day Christians in an abstinence group are actually perverts and sex maniacs, who stone a girl to death for trying to rat them out.
- Stonings aside, this is mildly Truth in Television. Some abstinence groups are very ... active outside of meetings.
- They also did the stoning-by-Christians thing on an episode of Law & Order, with Samwise Gamgee/ Rudy as their leader, no less.
- The recent episode involving the murder of an abortion doctor in church (Ripped from the Headlines) was surprisingly fair, showing radicals on both sides, and gave good arguments both for and against abortion. While there were both Strawmen and Political Stereotypes involved, the Aesop of the episode seemed to be that "Shooting a man in the back of the head in church and calling it "defense of a third party" is wrong."
- In The West Wing, of course. Jokingly referenced in "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics":
President Josiah Bartlet: We agree on nothing, Max.(...)Senator Lobell: You know why?President Josiah Bartlet: Because I'm a lily-livered, bleeding-heart, liberal, egghead communist.Senator Lobell: Yes, sir. And I'm a gun-toting, redneck son-of-a-bitch.President Josiah Bartlet: Yes, you are.Senator Lobell: We agree on that.
- In Dharma and Greg the main characters parents were this, Dharma's being a mix of Democrat and Green and Greg's straight Republican, especially Greg's mother and Dharma's father.
- The later Grand Theft Auto games have enough of this to fill their own page. For example, Grand Theft Auto V features an Attack of the Political Ad between two gubernatorial candidates: an asshole (by his own admission) Republican who literally doesn't care about or have any plans to help anyone and an overspending former schoolteacher who "can't wait to talk down to you."
- American Dad! - Stan Smith, the gun-toting CIA-operative lead is a Strawman Conservative, played for laughs. His daughter Hayley is a Strawman Liberal, played for laughs as well. Hayley generally comes across as the more sensible of the two. In a departure from this trope's norms, Stan is consistently portrayed with sympathy and insight.
Beyond being a Strawman Conservative, Stan's major "thing" is that he will latch immediately onto any ideology that catches his fancy. For example, he once briefly converted to Islam because Francine was bugging him and he liked the idea of being able to control his wife. Stan is a universal strawman: an impulsive zealot, but lovable enough that the writers can use him to parody and pillory the excesses of any political position without losing the audience.
- Lisa from The Simpsons has generally been cast as the Granola Girl / Soapbox Sadie type of Straw Liberal. After noticing they were basically using her as a mouthpiece for their own views, the writing staff unofficially agreed to stop making episodes centering on her politics.
- South Park....where to start?