A Police Procedural is concerned with an accurate representation of the day to day realities and procedures of the police. It's a very specific sub-genre of crime fiction. The Police Procedural is almost the antithesis of the Cop Show
. The Police Procedural is characterized by the lack of emphasis on the character's personal lives and the increased focus on the nuts-and-bolts of law enforcement.
This term is also sometimes used specifically to describe the "Reverse Whodunnit
" style of crime drama made famous by Columbo
, despite the fact that most examples have very little to do with actual police procedure.
Both the Police Procedural and the Cop Show are sometimes called "Precinct Shows".
See also: Criminal Procedural
, Forensic Drama
, Buddy Cop Show
, Cop Show
Live Action TV
Anime and Manga
Film - Live Action
- Fell is about a detective in a Darker and Edgier part of town.
- Gotham Central follows the Major Case Squad of the Gotham City Police Department as they deal with crimes and the villians that plague the city.
- Top 10 is a Super Hero Police Procedural.
- High And Low: The second half of Akira Kurosawa's film, based on Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novel, King's Ransom.
- M by Fritz Lang's and its sort-of sequel Das Testament des Doktor Mabuse are some of the earliest cinematic examples, starring Otto Wernicke as Kommissar Lohmann of the Berlin police.
- The Next Generation -Patlabor-: The live-action sequel of the Patlabor series, based on the movie timeline.
- White Heat, despite being known mainly for James Cagney's manic performance ("Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"), with details on how undercover police go about gaining the trust of a villain, and details on how a vehicle tail is conducted.