has been the focus of many a Game Mod
and ROM Hack
. There's the Moe Anthropomorphism
, the Touhoumon
series that replaces the familiar Mons
with the cast of Touhou
, the world expansion of Pokémon Brown and Prism
, and more unusual fare such as Pokémon Quartz
is, in essence, Pokemon Ruby IN A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!
Your hero (or heroine) wakes up in the ruins of Littleroot Town with a bad case of amnesia
. After retrieving a Poke Ball from the wreckage of the lab, you find Professor Birch being attacked by a strange creature that doesn't seem like an ordinary Pokemon... The grateful professor promptly fills you in, and sends you off after your older brother, who's looking for a way to stop the apocalypse.
While obviously Darker and Edgier
, Snakewood keeps a very dark sense of humor throughout the story, never quite taking itself too seriously. Its cliches are constantly Lampshaded
to the point where it's clearly Better than a Bare Bulb
This Pokémon Game Mod
contains examples of:
- Amnesiac Hero
- Big Bad: Its kinda ambiguous at first. At first, Meteor seems to be the villain. Then they make it seem its the Four Horsemen. Then when you first reach Lilycove, the Inquisition's leader, Chloe, seems to take that position. But after you beat the Champion, Senex seems to take over as Big Bad, with his two Dragons finally trying to get their hands dirty.
- Big Damn Heroes: When Misery fights the Inquisition at Lilycove, they are ambushed by Chloe, two Inquisition Footsoldiers, and two Zombies, but just when it seems like the protagonist is gonna lose, two Dragons show up and eat both the Footsoldiers and the Zombies.
- Black Comedy
- Bloodier and Gorier
- Cloudcuckoolander: The Deadly Seven. Cutlerine, the hacker of the game, is also this half the time.note
- Co-Dragons: Gleis and Temulence are this to Senex.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Out of Senex's two generals, Gleis is the one that has a more active role in their boss's plans.
- Dragon Their Feet: It takes half of the game before Temulence even shows up. And when he does show up, he uses Denjuu and doesn't even take you seriously. By the time you fight him in Lilycove, however, he has finished playing around and hiding behind the scenes.
- Darker and Edgier
- Deadpan Snarker: The hero has elements of this.
- Evil All Along: Gleis turns out to have been this. Alicia/War also counts.
- Heroic Mime: Averted; the hero has lots of lines.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: Wattson's team is supercharged to level 100, at a time when yours is likely in their 30's, the first time you fight him. In addition, stepping on particular panels in the Inquisition's headquarters will trigger a similarly overleveled encounter.
- When trapped in the necropolis by Gleis, you encounter a Battlezombie with a team of overleveled Zombie Pokemon.
- Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- Lampshade Hanging
- Nonindicative Name: The Deadly Seven actually have ten members.
- Our Zombies Are Different
- Palette Swap: The various zombified Pokemon.
- Punny Name: Zombie mons have names like 'Boilbasaur' and 'Rotmander'.
- Quirky Mini Boss Squad: The deadly seven. Oh, the Deadly Seven.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: After battling Senex, they are revealed to have been faking their insane antics the entire time.
- Schrödinger's Player Character
- Something Completely Different: The Inquisition's headquarters, with strange warping entrances, a ludicrously quirky mini-boss squad, and all in all the game's tongue in cheek humor cranked up to twelve, mitigated only by the frustrating puzzles every so often.
- Trial-and-Error Gameplay: The Inquisition's headquarters has three offenders: the boardroom, where a safe path to either end may take a while to find; the warp panels, leading to a Hopeless Boss Fight with a ghost if you stumble through the wrong panel; and the Leap of Faith, which features a similar penalty to the second example if you're unlucky stumbling through the dark.
- Villainous Breakdown: After you beat the Champion, Gleis slowly suffers one. He goes from a calm, Manipulative Bastard that is completely willing to manipulate you and battle you with Pokemon and becomes a crazy sociopath that is ready (and openly stating his desire) to kill you.