In fiction, illnesses always strike when it's most plot convenient, resulting in drama or Character Development. For example, one of two refugees may be prevented from going on. Or a man may endure the elements for just a few hours for a woman and suddenly he's got a fever so bad he collapses. The obvious solution is Intimate Healing, because it always happens at night and hospitals are just too inconvenient or far away.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- In the Ah! My Goddess OAV, after Keiichi brings an unconscious Belldandy to the abandoned temple, he collapses from a fever and wakes up with his head in her lap.
- In Ai Yori Aoshi, Kaoru walks through the rain to get Aoi, who's just gotten lost for the second time on the Tokyo train system. After they get back to his apartment, he collapses from a fever and Aoi has to save him with some very Intimate Healing.
- This happens a few times in Hana Yori Dango but the most ridiculous example is when Tsukushi falls into a swimming pool in a warm, tropical setting and instantly gets a bad fever. This prevents her from getting physical with Domyoji when they are finally alone together.
- In Harry Potter, the Weasley twins develop a range of sweets that make one ill and test them on fellow students. Hermione is unamused and shuts them down. Well tries to, anyway.
- In the Scare Scraper mode of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, there is a curse status effect that reverses your controls and can only be cured by using another player's Dark-Light. It comes complete with coughing from the player and is contagious, too.
- Invoked in The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, when Jimmy invents a "sick patch" that make the wearer sick when applied, which the kids then use to stay home from school.