A specific form of photo montage
Some characters, usually a romantic couple, rush into a photo booth, and the audience is treated to a brief montage
of the photos they took there. The last picture tells us about the couple in question: if they're becoming True Companions
it will be a funny mugshot; if they're becoming more than friends, it will be a surprise kiss or something more serious to suggest the progression. This is a common feature of girls' night out
, too, and can usually be spotted as a small part of a greater montage.
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- In Mahou Sensei Negima!, a bunch of the characters go to a photo booth and much Ship Tease ensues as the resultant pictures feature Negi and Asuna, Negi and Nodoka, Negi and Yue and Haruna, and Konoka and Setsuna.
- In Love Hina, Keitaro has a tradition of taking photo booth pictures, but since he's such a loser, his album is full of pictures of just him, alone. Naturally he's very excited when Naru offers to take some pictures with him.
- THE iDOLM@STER - Miki, when she's on her 10-Minute Retirement and Makoto when the Producer takes her to the amusement park.
- In InuYasha second movie The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass, Inuyasha and Kagome get a rather angry one. Inuyasha would have destroyed the photo booth if it weren't for a Sit Command. Bonus points for the pictures looking like they were about to kill each other and Inuyasha's butt in front of the camera after the sit command.
- Harley Quinn and the Joker indulge in this.
- The stoic X-23 and the recently vampirized Jubilee share a moment of bonding with one of these as well.
- "Photo Finish" in Batman Chronicles #9 featured Robin's first meeting with Batgirl, which ended with one of these. Dick expects to be in trouble for mucking about when he was meant to be on patrol, but when Batman sees it, he just says "Good teamwork, Robin."
Film — Live Action
- Superman III has Superman changing into his iconic outfit in one of these.
- The reveal of the film Her Married Lover is through this.
- Tracey Berkowitz does one alone in The Tracey Fragments.
- In Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, there's a brief one when Scott is talking to Envy.
- Mia and her grandmother have one as part of a girls' night out in the film version of The Princess Diaries.
- Played with in Amélie, which has a montage of the title character looking through other people's discarded photos from such a booth, which her love interest has collected into an album.
- Last Vegas uses one of these to introduce the audience to the Flatbrush Four.
Live Action TV
- Mr. Bean once used a photo booth, and this trope, to check the back of his haircut.
- On Scrubs, JD and Alex do one, and get interrupted by JD's pager.
- Arrested Development with Buster and the sheep. Soon used again with Lucille getting her grocery store card.
- In a first season episode of Veronica Mars, a girl manipulates her blackmailing, emotionally abusive boyfriend into doing this so that she and Veronica can doctor the photos to make it look like he is gay, and thus get him kicked out of the navy.
- The opening credits of early '90s Canadian series Ready or Not features the main characters posing like this.
- Modern Family's fourth-season "Mistery Date" has one of Manny and Luke under the closing credits.
- A plot-critical one in Pretty Little Liars: Maya and Emily have their first kiss inside a photo booth. The photos are stolen and used in A's Batman Gambit
- The opening credits in the first season of Ready or Not took place inside a photo booth.
- In the video for Aerosmith's "Crazy", the two runaway delinquents (played by Alicia Silverstone and Liv Tyler) hop into a convenience-store photo booth to change clothes. Averted in that the audience never sees the photos, but the girls hand them off to the store clerk. His reaction to what he sees kinda makes you wish you could have seen the photos.
- Rock Band 2 has this in its credits sequence. Each member of Harmonix is given a four-photo strip of whatever they choose while "Night Lies" plays in the background.
- In Crash Tag Team Racing, there's a cutscene where Crash runs into a nearby photobooth and has four snapshots of him. Snapshot one: Crash flexing but his flexed arm has sunk down without any muscle tone. Snapshot two: Crash showing of his abs in a sexy pose. Snapshot three: A close up of his teeth and finally snapshot four: Crash with his pants down showing off his underwear with hearts on them.
- 6teen has one in its opening sequence.
- Beast Boy and Terra's date in Teen Titans has one of these.
- The first season finale of Code Lyoko has one as Jérémie lead Aelita through her first day (not really) on Earth.
- Here◊ is a good one, starring the girls of Totally Spies!.
- Happens in the intro of Fish Hooks.
- Platonic version on Jimmy Two-Shoes, between Jimmy and his hero Wreckum.
- “Eeny Teeny Maya Moe,” an episode of The Simpsons, has a sweet one for Moe and Maya. The same episode has one for Marge and a drunken Homer.
- "Please Homer, Don't Hammer 'Em" has Lisa in the photo booth with a pair of eels.