"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
Alice says X is great and claims nobody disagrees. Except maybe every member of the crew who isn't Alice. Or every student of the school who isn't Alice. And maybe the entire global population except Alice.
Or Bob asks when have his cunning plans ever failed? Well, other than on almost every single occasion he's come up with a cunning plan.
In its most extreme form, this trope borders on No, Except Yes
. Can also be considered a Logical Fallacy
open/close all folders
- In Monty Python's Life of Brian: "All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
Live Action TV
- In Questionable Content, Marten tells Pintsize to be good while he's out. Pintsize asks, "When am I not good?" Marten doesn't even bother replying and it turns out Pintsize has at the very least 472 examples on his hard drive.
- In one episode of Rugrats, Angelica tries to persuade Chuckie (and the rest of the babies) to work on her lemonade stand:
Angelica: Chuckie, Chuckie, Chuckie. Have I ever lied to you?
Chuckie: Well, there was that time you told me that Spike was my brother.
Angelica: Time to play lemonade! Okay, let's go.
Chuckie: And the time you told me rocks was food, and the—
- Clifford the Big Red Dog:
Cleo: C'mon, have I ever steered you wrong?
Clifford: Well, actually...
Cleo: Never mind.
- On South Park, Kyle refuses to invite Cartman to his birthday party because he's a Jerk Ass and always insults Kyle for being Jewish. Cartman asks when he ever said anything insulting about Kyle's Jewishness. Cue a montage of past times Cartman said something anti-Semitic.
Cartman: ...Okay, maybe that one time.
- On Daria after a confidence bulding assignment by mr. O'Neill has backfired rather spectacularly, Daria, uncharacteristically, tries to cheer him up
Daria - We know you feel responsible because some of your students, or more specifically all of your students, got depressed over the assignment.