"For life, possibly, but apparently not for long."A President for Life expects to hold office for quite a while. This isn't necessarily the case: although the post cannot technically be vacated with the office holder's deposition, it can quite easily be vacated at any time via his death. This is often mentioned in the context of a threat. See also Klingon Promotion, In It For Life.
Vetinari on Moist von Lipwig's appointment as Master of the Mint in Making Money
- In Licence to Kill, Big Bad Sanchez warns the president of the Banana Republic that he's "only President for Life".
- In The Tamuli, Sephrenia is dealing with another Styric, who uses the excuse that he holds his position for life. Sephrenia responds, "Precisely my point", and proceeds to cast a death spell.
- Note that she does not actually kill him, she just threatens to (she indicates to him that she just holds off from finishing the spell and so metaphorically holds his heart in her hands).
- Discworld examples:
- The Patrician of Anhk-Morpork serves for life as a dictator, but always with the understanding that if too many of the rich and important people decide he needs to go he'll be assassinated.
- The jobs Vetinari gives Moist von Lipwig. In Going Postal he reflects "Postmaster General was a job for life - one way or the other. That was why Vetinari had put him here". And in Making Money, Vetinari calls Moist's appointment as Master of the Mint "For life, possibly, but apparently not for long."
- Tribesmen of Gor: the way to become the head of Klima, a Penal Colony/salt mine surrounded by hundreds of miles of desert, is to kill the current head. This also applies to lower ranking leaders. But bear in mind before you try to kill him - he successfully killed his predecessor. And so on.
- In Warrior Cats, Clan Leaders serve until their death, which can take a while since they're granted nine lives upon becoming leader, so they must die nine times before they'll stay dead. The Clan deputy automatically becomes leader when the leader dies, so this has led to a couple times when a Leader Wannabe deputy decides that his leader's taking too long to die and tries to secretly kill the leader himself.
- When Oberyn Martell of A Song of Ice and Fire makes a statement that might be construed as a threat against Hand of the King Tywin Lannister and is warned that eavesdroppers may be listening, he says, "Let them. Is it treason to say a man is mortal?"
- Invoked in the Shadowrun sourcebook Cyberpirates. While talking about the situation in Haiti, Shadowland poster The Gingerbread Man (a Pirate) states that the president of Haiti serves for life - and then notes that that term, in Haiti, averages out to about ten years, and that every outgoing president gets voted out "the old fashioned way - with an HK227 (a model of submachine gun) to the back of the head."
- Discussed in the Stonecutters episode of The Simpsons. Homer has been named the leader of the Stonecutters lodge because of a birthmark. He can't be voted out of office or anything but the rest of them don't like his leadership. They discuss killing him, but they end up just all quitting the lodge.
- In 1975, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman declared himself President for Life of Bangladesh. He was assassinated later that year.
- Invoked a few times by The Vatican, who elected an old or sick man as The Pope, hoping for a short and/or uneventful reign. It's been known to backfire when The Pope lived longer or was more active than expected.
- Defied (or perhaps Invoked in Inversion) when the Vatican, meeting for the second time in as many months, elected a 50-something cardinal to the Papacy in hopes they wouldn't have to have a conclave for at least a decade. It worked: John Paul II had the second-longest papacy in history (26 years) and none of the cardinals that voted then were eligible to vote for his successornote
- Possible Ur-Example: The Rex Nemorensis, or "King of Nemi," was the priest of Diana at a particular grove on the shores of Lake Nemi. By tradition, he must be a fugitive slave who found a golden bough in the grove and then slew his predecessor. He serves until the same thing happens to him.