And she's supposed to be hiding her status.
An easy way to tell if a female character in Japanese media is of high social standing is to not look for a crown or an Ermine Cape
, but to look at the front of her head. Specifically, look for two curled locks of hair draping the sides of her face. The rest of the hair may be straight, curly, or anything in-between, but she must have two curled locks from either the hair directly in front of or directly behind the ear, and falling in front of her shoulders rather than behind, if it is long enough. If she has these, she either is high class or acts like it.
Needless to say, this is pretty much mandatory for the Ojou
. Some Elegant Gothic Lolitas
also sport this hairstyle.
Also known as "drill hair
", and derived from the Regal Ringlets
hairstyle, popular in Roman times. For the distinctly Japanese princess' hairstyle — straight black with level bangs and ear locks — see Hime Cut
confuse them for the sideburns Orthodox Jewish men wear, called peyot
(pronounced "pay-ott") (peyos
, pronounced "pay-ohs," if you're Ashkenazi).
of Regal Ringlets
Compare Mega Twintails
, Quirky Curls
Contrast Tomboyish Sidetails
, Tomboyish Ponytail
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Pacifica Casull, the title character of Scrapped Princess (shown above). Regardless of whether she has her hair up or down, she always has two curled sidelocks.
- Elgala◊ from the Excel Saga manga has two ringlets framing her face. When she first appears, she's actually dirt poor like the rest of the ACROSS girls, but she acts like a wealthy debutante nonetheless.
- In the anime, there's a one-shot corporate heiress that also sports corkscrew curls.
- B-Ko◊ from Project A-Ko is a member of a rich and influential family affecting typical Rich Bitch behaviour. She has most of her hair in large ringlets and two smaller ones in front of her ears.
- Lynn Minmay◊ self-made Idol Singer from Super Dimension Fortress Macross has long straight hair with two small ringlets framing her face.
- Reika◊ in Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun is Student Council President and heiress to her father's corporate empire. Her hair is in multiple locks, two of them being sidelocks, ending in ringlets.
- Isuzu Emi◊ from Tenjou Tenge has five large ringlets. There are the three in the back and two that frame the sides of her face. She's part of a wealthy clan whose job it is to protect the Takayanagi family.
- Chizura Naba◊ from Mahou Sensei Negima! has straight hair with two sidelocks that curl into ringlets. It's revealed late in the series that her family is extremely wealthy.
- Juri Arisugawa◊ from Revolutionary Girl Utena has multiple pairs of ringlets framing her face. She's part of the The Beautiful Elite and implied to be particularly refined even by Ohtori academy standards.
- Rika Shiraki◊ from Bible Black is popular, from a wealthy family, and Student Council President. She sports long straight hair with two ringlets that rest in front of her shoulders.
- Athena(or A-Tan)◊ from Hayate the Combat Butler, the main character's rich ex-girlfriend sports two side locks that end in ringlets.
- Sherry Belmont◊ from Gash Bell is a young french woman from a wealthy family. She has blonde straight hair with two long ringlets at the side of her face.
- Montmorency◊ in Zero no Tsukaima has long blonde hair styled in Victorian ringlets with two of them as sidelocks that fall in front of her shoulders. Like most of the main cast in the series she's a noble.
- Ayumi Himekawa◊, Privileged Rival of the main character from Glass Mask, has hair styled in ringlets with two large ones framing her face. Not so much in the 2005 series: the curls are noticeably simplified, leaving her with simply wavy hair.
- Kanaria◊, Hinaichigo◊, and Shinku◊ from Rozen Maiden all have variations on this style. Kanaria has two low ringleted ponytails that rest in front of her shoulders, Hinaichigo has ringleted sidelocks, and Shinku has long side locks ending in ringlets. The three and the rest of their sisters are lolita fashioned dolls brought to life.
- Hermione◊ from Romeo X Juliet is a young noblewoman in an Arranged Marriage with Romeo. She usually has her ponytail in a ringlet as well but she always has two long ringlets in the front framing her face.
- Martina◊, a minor antagonist from Slayers NEXT is a spoiled princess with a pair of ringlets in front of her ears.
- Izumi◊, the closest Princess Nine has to a real princess, has thin curled sidelocks.
- Kihel Heim◊ in Turn A Gundam is from a rich family and is a Body Double for the Queen of the Moon, Dianna Soreil. She has long hair mainly styled in ringlets that fall past her waist. Two of which fall in front of her ears and shoulders.
- Manipulative and wealthy Student Council President Fukiko "Miya-sama" Ichinomiya◊ in Oniisama e... has hair entirely in ringlets. The two in the front frame her face.
- Ryuuka Jihiyou◊, the next head of the fabulously wealthy and powerful Jihiyou family in Hanaukyō Maid Tai. In the original and reboot series, La Verite, her hair is styled in ringlets with the two smaller ones frame her face.
- The be-monocled Caterina Sforza◊ in Trinity Blood is the Duchess of Milan and has long brown hair that consists mainly of ringlets. Two of them falling in front of her shoulders.
- Saaya Yamabuki◊ of Shugo Chara! sports side locks with ringlets at the end that rest on her shoulders, although she isn't a princess, she certainly acts like she's the best thing since sliced bread. She's actually less popular than the main character, Amu, although she acts like Amu is well below her.
- Isabella◊ from Paradise Kiss sometimes sports ringlet sidelocks to go with her victorian lady look. She's described as being the epitome of high class and femininity.
- Ichinensei ni Nacchattara: Miho◊, the elementary school Rich Bitch, has hair entirely in ringlets with two framing her face.
- Katanagatari's Togame◊ goes for broke by combining these with a Hime Cut and Rapunzel Hair. Her sidelocks end in curls. It's revealed early on that she's the daughter of a fallen feudal lord
- Ame-Warashi◊ from xxxHOLiC, a high ranking Gothic Lolita fashioned water spirit, has two ringlets framing her face and Mega Twintails
- In Aim for the Ace!, Reika◊ has a long, wavy blonde ponytail and two curls framing her face that allude to her ojou upbringing.
- Princess Charlotte◊ from Berserk goes through a couple different hairstyles through out the series. One of which has two small curled sidelocks.
- Neo Queen Serenity and her daughter Chibiusa◊ from Sailor Moon both have thin curled sidelocks.
- When Vivio was first introduced in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, she didn't have these at first, but after she gained access to her Sankt Kaiser form, the two locks of hair by her face curls up in this style◊. By the time of StrikerS Sound Stage X, she's taken to wearing her hair in this manner full time. When Olivie Segbrecht, the Sankt Kaiser that she was cloned from, finally had her appearance revealed in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, she's also shown sporting curled locks◊.
- Masako Natsume◊ from Mawaru-Penguindrum is wealthy and has ringlets in front and behind her ears.
- Dwarf princess Ymir◊ from Queen's Blade has a number of large ringlets and two small sidelocks that end in ringlets in the front.
- Neito Mitotsudaira◊, a half-human, half-werewolf feudal knight, from Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. Five ankle-length ringlets and two small ringlets that hang in front of her shoulders.
- Iyaritikki in Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica has her hair done up in multiple long drills.
- Adelicia in Rental Magica two curls in the front and four in the back.
- In Silver Spoon Ayame Minamikujou's◊ hair is styled in long Victorian ringlets. The two in the front are behind her ears and fall in front of her shoulders. This Part of her acting like an Ojou, even though her family is totally normal. Aki wonders where she goes to get her hair done like that.
- Nadeshiko Adenokouji◊ in Binbogamiga has a Hime Cut with a couple of ringlets. Two of them frame her face and are in front of her shoulders. Like the main character she's another Rich Bitch.
- One of Dawn from Pokémon's contest ensembles incorporates◊ curled sidelocks and a ponytail for her hairstyle, in keeping with her Girly Girl personality◊.
- Mami Tomoe◊ of Puella Magi Madoka Magica has two ringlets pulled into pigtails on either side of her face, to complement her proper personality.
- Student Council President Erika Shindou from Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu! has corkscrews in the end of her twintails. So does her mother, as that particular hairstyle is part of their family tradition.
- Capcom seems to like this hairstyle, as many characters from their collection of games sport them:
- Rose Bernstein◊ from The King of Fighters has two large ringlets that start behin her ears and rest on her shoulders. No real social status, but she's the Rich Bitch daughter of Rugal Bernstein, so...
- The Legend of Zelda:
- The eponymous character Midna has an unusual variant of this in her true form at the end of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, in that the two curls are tied together around her neck like some kind of brooch. The other eponymous character has a variation of them as well: they're not curled, per se, but there are two braids of hair tied up in lots of ribbon.
- Princess Zelda herself usually has some variation on this, particularly in recent cartoonier games◊ in which they're lightning-bolt-shaped sidelocks. Naturally, this includes Tetra.
- Rich Bitch Mila◊ from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker has parted bangs that are curled into ringlets. She loses them after her family goes from Riches to Rags.
- Soul Series:
- Ashlotte◊, robotic gothic lolita bonus character from Soul Calibur IV, has two ringlets at the side of her face.
- Viola◊ from Soul Calibur V who's also an Elegant Gothic Lolita has two ringlets that go down to the front of shoulders.
- Several variants are available in the Creat-A-Character mode.
- Susie Evans◊ from Valkyria Chronicles has two large ringlets that fall in the front of her shoulders. She's the daughter of a rich tycoon and only enlisted in the war to protect her family's honor.
- Rosalia◊ in Angelique is from a noble family and the Privileged Rival of the main character. She sports two corkscrew curls framing the side of her face.
- Reika Minazuki◊ from Ouendan 2 has straight hair with two ringlets in the front framing her face. Her profile mentions that she's from a traditional family and attended a super elite academy.
- It was a popular look in Lolita Fashion during The Eighties. It's fallen out of style since, but a lot of people still love it. It's really hard to do without a wig though. Rag curls can look like it.