Not the Way It Is Meant to Be Played
Some people will take a Video Game
and do everything you can possibly imagine with it... except playing it as they were supposed to.
This is an index of the numerous ways the player community cleverly turns games on their heads, much to the creators' dismay. Over time, many of these subversions get acknowledged, expected, encouraged and finally assimilated into new games, becoming part of standard gameplay.
The entry name is based on a popular GPU manufacturer's slogan.
This is just a page listing the tropes. Please put examples into their proper pages.
- Cheat Code: Putting in place a different set of rules that change the game to give you an advantage — or, occasionally, a disadvantage.
- Game Mod: Making changes to the original game, or employing its engine to derive new works.
- Gameplay Derailment: Taking the game's built-in, unmodified mechanics and abusing them for fun and profit.
- Good Bad Bugs: A glitch is found, exploited, and it actually improves the game to a point it becomes quite something else.
- Model Dissonance: Tricks to optimise the game's graphics can look downright bizarre if you peek behind the scenes.
- Munchkin: Someone who plays competitively in a non competitive game or those so excessively dedicated to winning that they ruin the enjoyment for others.
- Not the Intended Use: Using an item or ability in an unexpected way.
- Optional Stealth: The game tells you to use stealth, but it's easier not to use it.
- Outside-the-Box Tactic: Employing an alternative strategy, that proves particularly effective against a certain opponent (or type of opponents) beyond what was intended by the game developers.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: Playing the game with an intentional handicap as a means to increase the difficulty.
- Sequence Breaking: Finding a way to do things in a different order than the game wanted you to do, or skip them entirely.
- Twinking: Using a high-level character to make life easier for a lower-level one.
Related to Meta Game
. Compare Scrub
and the “Stop Having Fun” Guy
, who play the game in their very idiosyncratic ways
because they think they've found a more fun way of playing than anyone else, even the developers
Related to Unexpected Reactions to This Index
. See also Error Index
for unintended things that happen against
the player's will.