open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Kitty Pryde provides us this example from Astonishing X-Men, though in this case what Kitty points out was the thing she was most concerned over.
Emma Frost: Three students were missing from my ethics class. Seventeen overall. Logan had to break up two fistfights and a mystical swordfight. And that dreadful Guatemalan crab-boy is at Benetech telling reporters this is every mutant's only chance to avoid burning in everlasting hellfire. This is eating us from the inside out.
Kitty: Oh my God ... you teach ethics?
- The former Trope Namer was Animal House; towards the end, Bluto gives a stirring speech about not giving up, and at one point says "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" Otter, in reaction, looks confused for a moment and mutters, "Germans?" to which Boon responds "Forget it, he's rolling."
Live Action TV
- In an episode of Titus; Erin is chewing Ken out for being a bad father, at one point calling him a "Motard". When her rant ends, he just looks at her funny and says "Motard?"
- On an episode of Barney Miller a riot breaks out in front of the precinct station. Barney gives an impassioned speech to a representative, saying among other things "Maybe we are all going to hell in a handbasket." When things quiet down, Dietrich says to Barney "Hell in a handbasket?"
- This is a stock gag on Top Gear. with Jeremy Clarkson (and occasionally Richard Hammond) going off on a long-winded, over-the-top rant at one of the others (usually James May), at the end of which May will react to only one small part of the entire rant.
- In one episode of Parks and Recreation, the gang is auditioning mural ideas. Jerry starts to give a touching speech about how his idea was influenced by his mother, but he accidentally calls the mural a "murinal." Seeing as how he's the Butt-Monkey, nobody lets him live it down.
- In Supernatural after Castiel Molotov Cocktails St. Michael, Dean calls Castiel on his choice of epithet.
- Semi-subverted in The West Wing. Toby Ziegler, about to leave for a meeting on federal estate taxes, delivers a towering rant against the "death tax" while striding about his office picking up papers, getting dressed... the phone rings, Bonnie answers, then starts calling "Toby!" Ginger actually says "He's rollin'..." as Toby comes to a thunderous conclusion, sails out the door and comes to a screeching halt as Bonnie yells "Toby, they cancelled the meeting!"
- Monty Python's Flying Circus is dotted with this in the Live At Drury Lane sketch "Cocktail Bar," where four businessmen stop in to order some rather unusual drinks ("Special with a twist of lemming," "Harlem Stinger," etc.)
1st Businessman: (reading newspaper) I say, it was in page eight...Nixon's had an arsehole transplant.
2nd Businessman: Y'see, they stopped press there. The arsehole's rejected him.
- On 4chan, someone told the story about how his mother's bakery was broken in to, and to protect the merchandise, she had him store all the cakes on hand at his apartment—about forty of them. He laments that he already housednote one of them, and didn't know what else to do. This was the immediate response:
- In Young Justice: After Arsenal wakes up and recaps everything that has happened since his capture, including an alien invasion, the formation of a team by all the sidekicks and Ollie growing a goatee:
Red Arrow: We try not to call ourselves sidekicks.
Green Arrow: (deeply offended) You don't like the goatee?!