A Webnovel that has cover art. +10 Redundancy Points That cover art is for the prologue. The prologue is 224 chapters long..The RPS
is a Web Serial Novel
starring the protagonist in a setting that seems as though different parts were mixed and matched from other time periods
, along with ones that never existed. In a world where pistol-wielding guild members clash with everything from Demons lurking in forests, to Serial Killers prowling the alleyways, all bets are off on what could possibly show up. Enter Noka, a high-spirited young boy in his teens, set on joining a guild in the hopes that he can rush into the world of adventures that lie before him.
Unfortunately, for Noka, most dreams are meant to be shattered. The hammer to his brittle dreams is the Diresoldiers guild (usually shortened to "Dire" in-universe) who are seemingly set on showing him that the world isn't as magical as he thinks it is. Which would be true, if one of the guild captains didn't happen to be an elf. Or if their HQ wasn't located in The Lost Woods
. ...Or if he wasn't
attacked by a fire-breathing wyvern shortly after starting his journey.
After joining Dire in an unorthodox
manner, Noka finds himself adjusting to the guild life through situations such as: involuntarily hunting pandas for target practice, getting lost in storms while out buying groceries, and tracking serial killers with his fellow guildmates for money
The RPS provides examples of:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: KT is immediately distracted by Noka's hair color, to the point where he temporarily forgot to ask why everything was exploding to pieces around him.
- There seems to be an increasing case of this the higher up you go in the guild's ranks. Lev manages to annoy even KT of all people.
- Awesome McCoolname: The actual names of several Dires.
- Noka: Nokari de Baatz
- KT: Krieg Armand Torin
- Found: Felix Isaac Vallon
- Aziu: Azalais Henri Urien
- Ex: Ashley Excel Fox
- Ax-Crazy: Az tells Noka that Found used to be extremely violent before, compared to how relatively mellow he is now. He also warns Noka that he doesn't want to see the "Old" Found.
- Bacon Addiction: Az lampshades how much Found loves his bacon:
Az: "—Yeah he gets the same look when I tell him we’re out of bacon. He gets that sort of shocked look of despair on his face, right?"
- BFG: The "XM78 Anti-Materiel Rifle", which is soon Lampshaded by resident gun enthusiast, Crim.
Crim: "You bought a rifle that shoots bullets with over 14,000 pounds of force. How did you even find an XM78?!"
- BFS: Found's height and build is emphasized by how he can wear a claymore sized broadsword at the hip and manage to conceal it under a coat.
- Big Damn Heroes: Dante shows up just in time to save Noka from being beaten to death by Elli.
- Bishounen: Noka is perceived as one by Brendan, especially in light of the fact that the bluenette's hair grows abnormally fast.
- Blatant Lies: "I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about."
- Blood Knight: Found, when in the right mood.
- Brown Note: Seeing the Sentinels has this effect on normal humans apparently.
- Breather Episode: Or breather chapters, to pace everything out. Even breather scenes show up in the middle of chapters from time to time.
- Butt Monkey: Solo's role has somewhat fallen into this. It doesn't help that Elli is constantly out to troll him with toasters either.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: KT isn't the most grounded guild captain, most of the time.
- Found qualifies by convincing Abel to "help" him make a fort out of furniture. By breaking down the furniture and building from scratch.
- Taken even further when Lev, the guild leader and KT's superior, is introduced. His plans during a mass outbreak of zombies? Why, hit a karaoke bar of course!
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass / Obfuscating Stupidity: Seriously, don't piss off that elf wearing the red coat, the redhead, the one in white armor, or the one wearing clogs. I know they're arguing over whether cucumbers are poisonous or not. Yes, one of them just got by a pie. No, I don't know where the pie came from. Just... trust me on this.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Early as the third chapter in fact. Noka is stabbed through the shoulder and left bleeding out on the ground. He isn't paid any attention to though since Az crash lands his eagle on top of his assailants. The ensuing scuffle overshadows his critical condition:
Az: (After being shot through the hand) "I was apologizing before you shot my right god damn hand!"
Noka: "Still bleeding here..."
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Pick a fight scene. Any fight scene.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Every one of Found's fights has ended this way so far. Thankfully he's one of the good guys.
- Curse Cut Short: Played with. Closer to "Apology Cut Short" as Az is halfway through apologizing until he's shot through the hand. His ensuing reaction however is played straight, however:
Az: "Son of a-!"
- Played straight when Az watches Abel absentmindedly walk out of a store still wearing the clothes he's trying on:
Az: "I've never seen anyone steal stuff by wearing it and just walking out. That guy's got massive ba—"
- Daylight Horror: Solo's encounter with Lesser Demons in the Tensian Forest. Of course, it's his first day on patrol too.
- Subverted with the zombies, as their appearance is usually accompanied by heavy rain.
- Deadpan Snarker: Az and KT might be rubbing off on Noka a little bit.
- Debut Queue: First we meet Noka. Then he meets the guild. And as soon as he gets put into a Division, this trope kicks in when Abel joins his squad, followed by Lega, Wally, Brendan, Rook, Abra, Cait, Lenz, Cor, Deston...
- Disguised in Drag: Noka.
- Dramatic Stutter: One of the reviews posted when the reader found out everything they had just read, all 224 chapters, was just the prologue of the story.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Found has his moments.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Sentinels. Immense cosmic monsters that surround entire universes from their outer edge and slowly eat their way inward, annihilating almost everything in their path. They live in multiple dimensions at once and their image alone drives people to madness.
- Evil Versus Evil: May apply to the guild, depending on their actions and who they're fighting at any given moment.
- First Episode Resurrection: To this day, the protagonist harbors a grudge against Wyverns.
- Fouris Death: Elli is the Fourth Division Leader, and the Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death.
- Genre-Busting: Yup, they were on that planet fighting serial killers, sea monsters, zombies, and knights. Yup, they just took a interplanetary shuttle to a different planet using faster-than-light technology to be dropped into a warzone between transdimensional demons and the military's space fleet. Another normal day.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Found vs Paladins in Solo's flashback.
- Noka states that he was trained in boxing prior to joining the guild. In his first serious hand-to-hand fight however, it's shown to be closer to some form of brutal hunting method that involves the separation of body parts in rapid succession. Coupled with his apparent ability to nullify and absrob mana, it's clear why it was such a one-sided fight with Giroux. Beware the nice ones indeed.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Found has bacon print underwear, which he uses as a makeshift flag for a fort made out of furniture.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Elli nearly kills Noka on two occasions, just for the hell of it.
- Although it is speculated in-universe that he does it to test newcomers for strength and willpower when they first come to the guild. Confirmed by Elli himself several chapters later.
- Healing Factor: Anyone with enough mana. It's even used by Lenz through injection form to recover from wounds during battle.
- Here There Be Dragons: Averted, unfortunately for Noka. His napkin-map really should have had illustrations on it, especially when the directions on it leads him to a volcanic area where wyverns reside. Though, there was a grocery store ten miles away, but still...
- Heroic Albino: Az, being an elf, is essentially albino by default. His hair is platinum blonde though, just because it's such a dominant hair color for elves. When he switches to Third Horseman of the Apocalypse mode, his skin turns bone white.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Az and Solo are the only members of the Third Division, the supposed recon specialists of guild. In a nutshell; ninjas with cameras. What do they wear? Az is fond of a bright red long-coat for starters.
- In Medias Res: We're tossed into the thick of things right from the start with Noka watching a catastrophe happen directly overhead.
- Insistent Terminology: Raido.
- It Amused Me: Elli, oh so much. His early appearances are scarce, but he runs with them every time he shows up. Included on his list is choking Noka, scaring Noka half to death through laughter, and beating the daylights out of him for fun.
Ellidon: "Great, you're just in time. Az is in the kitchen, go help him not burn water and cook something edible. Oh, and remember about the whole not screwing up part. Now go before I kill you. Hahaha!"
Noka: "Oh...yeah, haha..."
Ellidon: "I'm not kidding."
Ellidon: "Geez, calm down. It's a joke."
- Knight of Cerebus: Sebastian showing up is a signal that something horrible is either happening off-screen, just happened, or is about to happen. So far, his sole appearance had him leading a manhunt for Abel, where his paladins were unsuccessful in capturing him. Directly afterwards, Noka meets Abel, who himself is a pretty serious person compared to the other main characters. Judging from peoples' reactions to him, he seems to fit the bill in-universe as well.
- Solidified in his most recent appearance, right as Az wipes out an entire universe twice the size of our own.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Especially considering that by two-hundred chapters in, we've only been introduced to a fraction of the entire cast.
- Friendless Background: The driving reason Abel wants to join Dire.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot: Considering all that's happened in the prologue, the story sure seems like it's going in this direction. And by prologue, we don't mean that sliver of text on the first page of the story.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: The warrior that stabbed Noka is shot dead by Az, and promptly Dies Wide Open.
- Laughing Mad: Found in Solo's flashback.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Elli's fight with found is filled with these.
- Made of Iron: Any Lieutenant in guild is just about guaranteed to be this trope to survive the shenanigans they go through. The upper tiers of this universe fall into Nigh-Invulnerability land.
- Shout out to Sebastian, who survives a brutal beatdown from FOUND of all people, and later states that he wasn't even fighting back.
- Memetic Sex God: KT is a sexy bitch.
- Metaphorgotten: Whenever Found tries to pull a metaphor out, this is usually the end result.
- Mood Whiplash: Chapters aren't exempt from ping-ponging between ludicrous stupid-but-funny scenes, and serious situations where silence permeates the background.
- Multishot: Az takes the second kill of the story with a five arrow volley in one shot.
- No Hugging, No Kissing: Averted with Brendan and Wally, which leads to...
- Not Using the Z Word: Averted. Apparently zombie movies exist in this universe, making the Fifth Division very efficient at zombie killing.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: Found.
- One Head Taller: Abel and Rook.
- One-Man Army: All of the guild Captains.
- Overly-Long Name: Caron Allegretto Levant Xiomara.
- Parental Neglect: Abel is on the receiving end of this during his introductory background exposition.
- Perpetual Poverty: Once again, the guild. May have to do with the voracious appetites possessed by its members. Either that or just the amount of bacon consumed by Found is enough to offset the already frail bank account.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Az. Full stop. Anyone that can destroy a universe twice as large as ours within seconds of entering it deserves this title at the very least. Presumably anyone around his rank would be able to do the same amount of damage.
- Poisonous Friend: Found. Don't even look at his division members wrong.
- Fridge Horror: Elli informs Sebastian that Found was holding back during their fight. Found is supposed to be worse than Az when properly enraged. KT and Lev outrank both of them.
- Purely Aesthetic Era: Full medieval body armor? Check. Flying fire-breathing wyverns? Check. Pistols, Cellphones, and TVs? Check, Check, and Check!
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Applies to the entire guild in general, but seeing Az, an albino elf dressed in a long coat, and Found, a very tall, very intimidating looking redheaded human, cracking sarcastic jokes together showcases it well. They don't hesitate to accept Noka, a random boy with blue hair initially dressed in armor, as one of their own.
- The guild was the only one that Wally and Brendan could join. All of the others refused a gay couple in their ranks.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: The high-end of the characters' destructive capacity is shown to be this by the end of the prologue.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Wyverns' eyes shine red when exposed to sunlight.
- Az's eyes glow red from the sheer amount of mana he's exerting when destroying universes.
- Schizo Tech: A staple of the verse at this point.
- Shirtless Scene: Noka wakes up in his room wearing only pants. Justified in that he was badly wounded and wearing restricting armor when he was brought in, and needed it to be removed for surgery. He spends the next few minutes going door-to-door asking guildies for a spare t-shirt to wear. Subverted in that almost every person he came across gave him blank stares when he asked for their clothes.
"And you didn't look in your closet for a shirt? You went around asking everyone for one, including—oh look, she just sent me a message on the Raido
'why is there a kid with blue hair asking people for their clothes o.o;?'."
Along with Elli's initial reaction:
Elli: "Alright then...wouldn't have been surprised if it was Found's room 'cause it's Found, but...I'm just gonna take this TV away then...yeah..."
- Shoot the Medic First: HIGHLY unadvisable with the Sixth Division as Cait is their medic. The same man that walks into traffic and gets hit by a car just so he can punch a gun through its windshield and threaten its driver at point blank range.
- Sleep Cute: Abel and Rook during their road trip to Sunko. It doubles as both a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming, and Tear Jerker when understood within context.
- Sliding Scale of Silliness Versus Seriousness: Can and will jump the line between the two, and often.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Abel and Noka play odd word games while navigating through loud crowds, and are usually on the same wavelength when it comes to ideas.
- Super Reflexes: Az takes an arrow to the hand when his guard is down, but he'll effortlessly catch them if he's focused.
- Super Soldier: Noka is revealed to be one when his past is shown, and his fight with Giroux backs it up.
- Sword and Gun: One of Found's fighting styles. Averted during the Serial Killer Arc in that the trench coat he wears doesn't have enough space to carry both weapons at the same time, forcing him to choose between his broadsword or his pistol. He opts for the pistol.
- He demonstrates in Solo's flashback.
- The Lost Woods: The general location of the Dire HQ. It doesn't help that it is a hotspot for numerous gates.
- This Is the Part Where...: Invoked throughout the story.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Discussed by Found and Az.
- Tranquil Fury: Don't piss off Noka. Just... Don't. You can ask [[Giroux]] how he feels about a teenage boy handing him his own ass within seconds of provoking him.
- True Companions: The Guild. Found threatens to bring Abel back to life and kill him if he ever commits suicide. It's just Found's way of showing love. Love through irrational thought processes.
- Unstoppable Rage: Giroux went and done messed up on that train. Noka was not amused.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Presumably because the residents of the universe are desensitized to such high amounts of weirdness, or all the sane people died from insanity long ago.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Az and Found can bicker with each other until the end of time over the most pointless things. At the same time, they're both captains, they're both close friends, and in actual serious situations they can handle a squad of Paladins and three Lesser Demons with ease.
- Wham Line: "End of Prologue". Cue reactions of readers finding out that the year-long, 224 chapter arc was only the PROLOGUE to the story, which was renamed from Noka to The RPS.
- Subverted immediately by Ru when Lenz informs Noka that the Fifth Division was overrun.
- Who Would Be Stupid Enough: Everyone in the guild is prone to this. EVERYONE.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Usually the first thing most people notice about Noka.
- Zombie Apocalypse: It spreads across the continent with part of it reaching the Tensian HQ. The problem? Crim, the resident guild marksman, is there with his division captain. Along with his entire division, which numbers in the hundreds. Cue one-sided zombie stomp.
End of Prologue