He could be a human, he could be a space alien, or he could just be awesome.
As long as I have enough money for green bow ties and sweets, I'm all set.
He wishes his girlfriend looked more like Noel Fielding
He wishes his girlfriend was king of the mods
He wishes his girlfriend looked more like a girlfriend
He wishes his girlfriend had legs like curtain rods
He wishes his girlfriend looked more like Noel Fielding
He wishes she was so easily amused
He wishes his girlfriend drank baileys on ice
He wishes he wasn't so damn confused
— Federal Drugs Administration, "Androgynoel"
Noel Fielding is a British Perky Goth
comedian. He's a renowned Camp Straight Cloud Cuckoo Lander
: a little boy from a magical wonderland of talking dragons and enchanted sea horses. He wears capes.
He's the star of the The Mighty Boosh
, in which he plays the gender bending, ambiguously bisexual, beautiful idiot Vince Noir (though in reality, Fielding himself is highly intelligent and almost straight
.) He also stars in The IT Crowd
as over-the-top goth sysadmin Richmond Felicity Avenal. Additionally, he was a minor character in the British indie film Bunny and the Bull
, and he's currently a team captain on Never Mind the Buzzcocks
. For the past couple of years, he's been a panel member on The Big Fat Quiz Of The Year
, pairing up with Russell Brand
(as "The Goth Detectives") and Richard Ayoade, and doodling all over the answer sheets. He now has his own sketch show
, Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy
His best friend is Julian Barratt, and this pairing is what led to the Boosh in the first place. His first major project was a short film called Pete Sweet
, although it was The Mighty Boosh
that thrust him into the spotlight. He is the subject of many obsessive fans, mostly in the indie crowd. He's also incredibly attractive, and dresses to accentuate it.
Notable not only for his many achievements in comedy and music, but also the intense Ho Yay
overtones of his relationships with everyone.
Noel Fielding exhibits the following tropes:
- Camp Straight
- Ambiguously Bi: Identifies as straight, but admitted in an interview he had "Gotten Off" with men while drunk and said he "Wasn't sure". He's also expressed attraction to several men he was friends with or was a fan of on occasion, and not always in a joking manner.
- And now he's gone on record stating "I love all sexes" when discussing his sexual preference on twitter.
- Character Tic: Watch an interview or a quiz show appearance and take a drink every time you see him run his fingers through or play with his hair. You'll probably get alcohol poisoning.
- He's also somewhat prone to sucking his thumb.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Extremely so:
I invented apples, I invented pandas, and caps. I invented soil.
I'd have been a lord. Shooting people that were on my land. With a wig. Yeah. And some crisps.
Basshunter: I like babies.
- His character on the Mighty Boosh once wrote a book about a wad of bubblegum that vacuumed up Inuits and made wigs for trumpets, spanners, and monkey nuts.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Hence the song "Androgynoel".
- During one of his appearances on Never Mind the Buzzcocks, guest host Frankie Boyle remarked: "To me Noel looks like a raven that a wizard has turned into a very beautiful young lady."
- Jimmy Carr stated that he looked like "Rod Stewart made love to a raven." And it's true.
- He recently performed on Comic Relief's Let's Dance, in which he dressed as Kate Bush. Red dress and all◊.
- Dye Hard: His natural hair color is brown, but his dyed black hair is part of his image as a Perky Goth.
- Even the Guys Want Him: As Vince puts it in The Mighty Boosh:
I'm the great confuser! "Is it a man, is it a woman? Oh, I don't know if I mind!".
- Fashionable Asymmetry: He arrived for his interview on Alan Carr dressed in a bunch of sewn together bin bags, tights and gold boots. He looked fantastic. As he always does.
- Fangirl: He has thousands. During a gig, he was pulled into the crowd and had to be rescued by a security guard.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Julian Barratt.
- And with Russell Brand. Julian actually gets jealous of Russell, prompting Noel to assure Julian he was the "true love of my life" in an interview.
- Ill Boy: Has Gilbert's Syndrome, a chronic condition, and though he has pretty good control of it, he's occasionally had to bow out of roles because of the illnesses that come with it.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Subverted. His clothing in real life is just as strange as his most famous character's.
- Man Child: He seem to be in a perpetual state of wonder at the world around him. He once said he looked like Mel Gibson, if Mel Gibson was nine. No, he doesn't make much sense. Just go with it.
- Mistaken for Gay: Frequently due to his flamboyant fashion sense and long hair. His official stance on the matter is "I won't mind a feelup", but he identifies as straight. He dated Dee Plume (of Robots In Disguise fame) for ten years.
- Mr. Fanservice: And how!
- Older than They Look: He looks about twenty five, when in fact he's forty.
- One of Us: It doesn't come up often but he seems to be a pretty big fan of Doctor Who. He's inserted references to Daleks in The Mighty Boosh, he seemed fairly knowledgeable in the Buzzcocks Doctor Who special, and he once did a radio interview where he expressed desire to play The Doctor, and then spent several minutes gushing about his favourite Doctors to the host. He loves Eleven, but says nothing can ever beat Ten.
- Only Sane Man: Amazingly, this can happen on certain episodes of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, as seen when he was teamed with Paloma Faith, Jedward, and "Team Abstract" (Stacey Solomon and Tony Law).
- Another episode where he actually invoked this trope was where he teamed with Paloma Faith and Tony Law (who is a complete nutter). "I'm like Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest!" Mind you, in this particular episode, he was dressed as a "mouse-cat", and Paloma was wearing grannies on her tits. That should say something.
- Incidentally, his Jack Nicholson impression (at about 16:16 in that video) is terrifyingly good.
- Perky Goth
- Smarter Than You Look: Despite having numerous childlike mannerisms, coming off as quite vacuous, and being obsessed with his clothes, he's actually highly intelligent and went to art school. He sometimes has shows of his work.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Has confused many a hormone-addled teenage boy.