Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
''This night is winding down but time means nothing
As always at this hour time means nothing
One final, final round 'cause time means nothing
Say that you'll stay, say that you'll stay, say that you'll stay.''A 2008 coming-of-age film starring Michael Cera and Kat Dennings as the titular characters. Nick is the sole straight member of a Queercore band, The Jerk Offs. His girlfriend Tris recently dumped him (after cheating on him for
—After Hours, We Are Scientists
The movie provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Caroline, to a degree.
- The Alleged Car: Nick's Yugo, obviously.
- Alpha Bitch: Tris.
- Bathroom Stall Graffiti
- Big Applesauce
- Book Ends: the gum (which Caroline got from Randy while they were making out) ends up on the back of Randy's neck after Nick spits it out while confronting Tal
- Brainy Brunette: Norah, who was accepted to Brown.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Caroline. But she had been drinking since about 4:30 in the afternoon.
- Captain Obvious: Yes, Caroline, you did fall. Yes, Caroline, you are being carried. Yes, Caroline, that is a turkey sandwich.
- Coming-of-Age Story: The premise of the film.
- Concert Climax: The secret show of Where's Fluffy, which is also a MacGuffin Location
- Disgusting Public Toilet: The Port Authority bus terminal toilet.
- Drag Queen: Christmas themed, at that.
- Deadpan Snarker: Norah, in spades. Nick isn't lacking in this department either and to an extent, just about every major character has their own moment of snappy snark.
- Don't Explain the Joke: Norah does have a fondness for her bad jokes.Norah: Hey. What's that banging?Nick: Is it my car--?Norah: I think it's... uhhh drums! Get it? Rhythm? Rhythmic drumming on drums? Because when you're in a band you need drums, and you're in band and you don't have drums.Nick: Oh. Thanks. I haven't heard that before.Norah: (quietly mutters) I didn't mean your band wasn't good. I just meant you needed a drummer... (Beat) You can drop me off up here if you want.
- Drunken Master: Caroline works out the location of the band before anyone else, despite (or perhaps due to) being really drunk.
- Extremely Short Timespan: Just like the book, the film roughly takes place over 24 hours, the vast majority of events occur during the long winded night.
- Follow That Car: "Follow that van!"
- Gave Up Too Soon/Missed Him by That Much: At the bus terminal, looking for Caroline.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: Norah calls Thom, Dev, and Lothario a "fistful of assholes" while they're arguing about a new name for their band—both of the band members like the name. The movie is unclear on whether or not they kept their regular name or changed it to "Fistful of Assholes".
- Good People Have Good Sex: Nick and Norah.
- Had the Silly Thing in Reverse: Nick lets Norah drive his Yugo, and after showing off her "awesome" driving skills, she parks by the curb. When Nick comments on how far away from the curb she is, she goes to reverse closer to the curb and ends up driving forward into a fire hydrant.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Caroline, inducive to her being The Load.
- Ivy League for Everyone
- The Modest Orgasm: Norah.
- Moment Killer: A particularly brutal Fatal Fumble occurs when Nick and Norah share a sweet smile along to Nick's mix playing in the background. For a second it looks like they're actually going to get along... and then the mix ends with Nick's prerecorded self proclaiming, "There it is, Tris! 10 songs from my broken heart!". Yeouch.
- The Reveal: Turns out, Beefy Guy's real name is Lothario. Norah, visibly amused, thinks it's pretty nice.
- Right Through His Pants: Both of theirs, in fact. Some reviews stated that the largely clothed protagonists indicated it was a portrayal of mutual masturbation, which is in fact, a more realistic portrayal of what a couple of fooling-around teenagers might be doing rather than full-on intercourse.
- Romantic False Lead: Tris and Tal.
- Running Gag: See if you can follow every mouth That Gum goes into.
- Scenery Porn
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Norah is a mild case, ditching the sports bra and gaining a jacket.
- Shout-Out: To The Thin Man.
- One of the band names that Dev, Thom, and Beefy Guy think of is Shit Sandwich.
- Straight Gay: Lothario/Beefy Guy.
- The Load: Caroline.
- Where Everybody Knows Your Flame: Where they finally find Caroline .
- The Women Are Safe with Us: Played straight when the very drunk Caroline gets handed off to the gay band mates for her own safety only to be Subverted when they leave the van unlocked and let her wander off.