This genre of fanfiction sets the action one generation (or more) after the source material. As a result, it tends to feature Original Characters more than other genres do.
Compare Kid Fic
. A type of Continuation
. Has nothing to do with Star Trek
, or Sonic The Hedgehog
- "Gaming's Next Generation" is a fanfic occurring a few years after Super Paper Mario X.
- "Firestorm" is a Lois and Clark fanfic about their grown granddaughter.
- This is a Nyan~ Neko Sugar Girls fanfic revolving around Raku and Hitoshi's son, aptly named "Nyan neko sugar boyz"
- Many Harry Potter fanfics. It helps that the epilogue of Deathly Hallows sees an actual canon next generation board the Hogwarts Express for adventures unknown.
- Shadow of the Valley by Disguise of Carnivorism is a Death Note Next Gen AU fanfic where Light Yagami raises his daughter to be the next Kira.
- The Homestuck fanfic The Motley Two is set on Alternia some generations after the original, and descendants of the original characters play some role in the plot.
- Another Homestuck fic, the text-based forum adventure Adult Stuck, mostly focuses on the next generation of ectochildren and occasionally the children of the canon characters.
- The Whyt Game is a Final Fantasy IV fanfic/ roleplay which is set so far after the events of the original game that the game itself has almost no basis in it. The original characters are given one or two references; that's it.
- The Fall of San Francisco is a The Good, the Bad and the Ugly fanfic that features Tuco's granddaughter in the early 20th century.
- Exoria is more or less this. It features a Hyrule that is analogous to the modern day, with the games themselves forming the distant backstory.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Forever is set in 2018, over a decade after the end of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, and follows the exploits of Yugi's son Yugo, Kaiba's son Seta, and their classmates, allies and rivals from one adventure to another, including Duel Monster tournaments. (A trope page for this story, currently under development, can be found here.)
- The in progress Yu-Gi-Oh! fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8643131/1/The-New-Millennium, set in the year 7006 (exactly 5,000 years after the last episode of classic Yu-Gi-Oh! aired), follows the adventures of Bennu Tamaki and her co-star, Celeste Blackstone, who obtain two Millennium Items through mysterious circumstances. Upon donning the Items, the two experience strange memory gaps. (Word of God states that they're reincarnations of classic Yu-Gi-Oh! characters, although Celeste's Yami, Aclina, is a character reused from a different plotline.)
- Mai-HiME: Future is this for Mai-HiME, obviously. Unusually for the genre, the focus is shared between the canon cast and the younger generation, leading to even more Loads and Loads of Characters than the source material.
- The same applies to Return To Hinamizawa, the Higurashi: When They Cry equivalent. The author acknowledges Mai-HiME: Future as his inspiration.
- The Emiya Clan takes this to a ridiculous degree, as it's set in a continuity where Shirou Emiya has 24 wives and dozens of children.
- Golden Dawn: Lost Sunrise takes place many years after the events of The Last Hope, the Grand Finale of Warrior Cats. Thus, all the canon characters have died out and been replaced by OCs.
- Pokemon: 25 Years Later is one for the Pokemon anime, featuring Ash and Misty's daughter going on her own Pokemon training journey. It also features many Fakemon.
- Reaching Zenith is an example for Persona 4 and Persona 3. It stars Rui Tatsumi, Kanji and Naoto's eldest child, who discovers that she has the Wild Card. During all of this, the Midnight Channel returns and a mysterious new website emerges as the new Inaba urban legend. A mystery comes to the surface and the next generation of Persona users must answer the call.
- The Discworld fanfic The Brain Thief stars older versions of the canonical Young Sam and Princess Esme, and adds a number of OCs such as Carrot and Angua's daughter and Sgt Colon's grandkids (since he already has adult children by the time of the novels).
- The Fan Fic OnesWorld is basically a story about a new generation of Pirates who aren't necessarily after the treasure of One Piece, but want to accomplish their own set of dreams that will eventually take them to the end of the Grand Line and come across the most formidable enemies.
- Daughter of the Sun, a Warrior Cats fanfic, features the children of canon characters and takes place after the last modern-day Warriors book, The Last Hope.
- Kilala97's Next Generation art and biographies of the children of the characters of My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic has inspired an entire group of fanfics by various authors based on her work, with Kilala 97's consent and participation.
- Lopoddity's Pandoraverse is another next gen universe based on My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic with its own spin-off fanfics and secondary fanart, and has crossed over with the aforementioned Kilalaverse in at least one fic. It, too, has its own tropes page.
- Kingdom Hearts New Epic The First stars Jonahs, Marcus, 'Daj and other young heroes, who are the offspring of the heroes of Kingdom Hearts: The Third Epic. A few villains also see some descendants.
- Glee, with all of its different pairing combinations, obviously features several of these, though more in the form of roleplays than actual fics. Most of them feature an original New Directions member returning to McKinley to coach a new group of underdogs, either the kids of the other originals or an all-new cast. One of the most recent examples, Twice Gleeful, features an example of the latter, but with a few children of the canon characters (including a now pushing-twenties Beth Corcoran) thrown in for good measure.
- Love Hina Next stars Yamato 'Shima' Urashima, son of Keitaro and Naru, and the members of his own harem.
- Tricanon is set sometime after the timeline of the Pokemon anime.
- Welcome Reality + Equestria exaggerates this trope, taking place 1808 years after season one.
- Courtney Glass, which features Albus Potter, Rose Weasley, and Scorpius Malfoy. Unusually for this trope, most of the protagonists are original characters.
- In the Arrowverse series Legacy, Oliver and Felicity have been married for over twenty years, happily retired from vigilantism with two children. The story is told through the eyes of their reckless teenager.
- Sonic: 25 Years Later is a canon Next-Gen story, where the children of the main characters from Sonic the Hedgehog live in the world their parents made. (Considering the main characters were in their teens, they're still around, but it's not just about Grandpa Sonic...)
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop is another official examplenote , set roughly 30 years after the original series and focusing on the teenage successors to the Gundam Pilots...and Heero, revived from cryogenic stasis.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a canonical example for Harry Potter.