is a freeware game of uncertain origin. The premise, such as it is, is simple, you are a white, nameless stick figure. You wander around in a surreal world with no real set goal, unless one counts collecting the cinematics needed to unlock the credit screen. The game seems to take many cues from Yume Nikki
and its fangames, so comparisons are inevitable. However, it is perhaps more fair to call the game a Spiritual Successor
, or even just "in the same genre" as Yume Nikki
than something that took direct inspiration from it. The game also boasts an excellent soundtrack.Neftelia
is also absurdly hard to get to run properly, and tends to crash when certain objects are interacted with. Instructions on just how
to get the game running properly are hard to find, but a usually reliable version can be downloaded from—of all places—the Youtube channel of Lets Player Mike Mnemonic
, who LP'ed the game.
Tropes Present in Neftelia
- Acid Trip Dimension
- After the End - The city with the orange sky seems to be this.
- Author Appeal - Whoever made this game really likes the moon and depictions thereof.
- Deliberately Monochrome and simplicity are running themes too, but that may just be the limits of the creator's artistic talent.
- Deliberately Monochrome - Large swaths of the game are such.
- Dream Land
- Dream People
- Homage - Two are made to Yume Nikki, though the intentionality of them is debatable.
- One room has an Uboa-like face on the floor when certain conditions are met
- There is an invisible maze reminiscent of the one needed to access Yume Nikki's Famicom World.
- Let's Play - Mike Mnemonic's gave the game a degree of notability. As did his singing along to the background music in one place.
- No Name Given
- Spiritual Successor - As noted above, it may be fairer to say that, along with Yume Nikki, this game constitutes an emerging genre. Still, see Homage.
- Surreal Horror: Some scenes could be interpreted as this, but the game, as a whole, features significantly less High Octane Nightmare Fuel than Yume Nikki, and is usually only mildly unsettling at the most.
- Weird Moon - Several of them, most notable is one with what appears to be a face on it.
- Wide-Open Sandbox