(마이걸; also called "Mai Geol") is a popular 16-episode Korean Series
. One of the early efforts by The Hong Sisters
, it nevertheless was popular in its timeslot.
Due to the failing health of his grandfather, Seol Gong Chan hires tour guide / budding con artist
Ju Yoo Rin to play his long lost cousin
. Things get a bit complicated when Yoo Rin falls for him
. Naturally, his friend Seo Jung Woo falls for her too
The series contains the following examples:
- Break the Cutie
- Brutal Honesty
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : Yoo Rin always has trouble fooling Gong Chan.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Kim Sae Hyun, who schemes to keep the Canon Couple from finding happiness.
- Cock Fight: Jung Woo and Gong Chan play handball regularly. The intensity increases as their attraction grows for Yoo Rin until Jung Woo finally punches Gong Chan during a match.
- December-December Romance: Gong Chan's aunt and Jang Il Do
- Family Business: The Avenuel Hotel chain
- Genki Girl: Yoo Rin
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Yoo Rin is fluent in at least 3 languages.
- The Hong Sisters: One of their early works.
- Hurricane of Euphemisms
- Hustler: Yoo Rin feels no shame in taking advantage of others in her short cons; she's just not very good at it.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: The hypotenuse, Jung Woo.
Jung Woo: "Hold on to her (Yoo Rin), you lucky guy. If you do give up, my love that never even had a chance becomes so pathetic. At least, if I say I lost to a great love, I don't look too bad."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Gong Chan is a lesser version of this at first.
- Karaoke Box: The tourists get to go to a noraebang (and Gong Chan gets to serenade Yoo Rin).
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: Yoo Rin falls in love with the entire family, but can't tell them she is not the real grandaughter.
- Long-Lost Relative: Gong Chan's cousin
- Love Dodecahedron:Sae Hyun —> Gong Chan <—> Yoo Rin <— Jung Woo
- Meddling Grandfather: President Seol Woong, who lies for two years in order to keep Gong Chan in the company.
- Meet Cute: Jung Woo / Yoo Rin. They bump into one another. He thinks she's a Japanese tourist; she thinks he's a Japanese tourist. Then the people her dad owes money try to kidnap her; he fends them off and escapes with her in his car.
- Milholland Relationship Moment: Gong Chan blows off all the lies Yoo Rin told in their final confrontation.
- As does the Seol family in Episode 16.
- Missed Him by That Much: Pretty much everywhere, but mostly in elevators.
- Perpetual Poverty: Thanks to her dad's gambling debt, he and Yoo Rin are constantly forced into moving and hiding.
- Piggyback Cute
- Playing Sick: Yoo Rin is fond of this trope.
- Sleep Cute
- Snow Means Love: Gong Chan buys a present for Yoo Rin (usually a snow globe) every time it snows.
- Snowball Lie
- Time Skip: Two years pass before the Official Couple meet again.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Gong Chan and Jung Woo are best friends growing up together. Of course, they'd end up liking the same girl.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Gong Chan's aunt and Jung Woo's mom