- Children of Bodom comes to 8 or 9 with its murder promises, raining gore and general angry swearing — it isn't nearly detailed enough to score 10 in any case.
- "Ilona" by Apulanta, if you get the suicide theme. In any case, it remains in the metaphor level.
- X Japan 's theme for Saint Seiya: Legend Of Sanctuary, "Hero," actually lands here, despite being a 3 on the hardness scale in the Violet UK / Yoshiki solo version, and barely a 6 on the hardness scale in the X Japan band version, due to an explicit, almost indulgent focus on Self-Harm that would put anything by My Chemical Romance or any other "emo" band to shame, though the song has An Aesop of finding one's strength within to overcome...
I was such a mess the other day I hurt myself to see
Ahhh, if you care, if you bleed
Like cracks in the mirror
Ahhh, I slit my skin, 'Till I felt something real
'Cause I was losing, losing my reflection
- The Birthday Massacre. We have songs about extreme alienation and despair ("Broken", "Play Dead"), meaningless sex ("Promise Me", "Video Kid"), dysfunctional and possibly abusive relationships ("Falling Down", "Violet", "Two Hearts"), psychotic obsession ("Midnight", "Blue"), suicide and self-harm ("Under The Stairs") and outright murder ("Lover's End" and, of course "Happy Birthday", which is where their name comes from).
- Kamelot: the Elizabeth trilogy, sometimes
- The Blue Oyster Cult's Golden Age of Leather uses The Beach Boys style vocal harmonies and West Coast surfer rhythm (scale two or three for musical hardness? Evokes sunny California beach days where everyone has a good time and all re alive at sunset?) But its lyrics are about old Hell's Angels getting together for a last battle to the death, with a bit of gang-rape thrown in as an appetizer. The dissonance between the two creates something entirely other and shocking...
- Laibach (the musical wing of a Slovene art collective which appropriates totalitarian imagery and themes for artistic purposes) appears not to be a 7, but to range from 8 to 11.
- My Chemical Romance have some songs around this level...often set to a rather happy tune.
Stand up fuckin' tall, don't let them see your back!
And take my fuckin' hand, and never be afraid again. (This is the CHORUS.)
Well, let's go back to the middle of the day that started it all,
I can't begin to let you know just what I'm feeling,
And now the red ones make me fly, and the blue ones make me fall,
And I think I'll blow my brains against the ceiling.
Na na na na na na na, you run the company,
Na na na na na na na, fuck like a Kennedy,
Na na na na na na na, I think we'd rather be
Burning your information.
- The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers. Lyrical content includes prostitution, a cynical view of American Politics, the Holocaust and references to Self-Harm. But that's just the beginning. The album contains songs that glorify Anorexia Nervosa, Suicide, and jokes that atrocities are okay as long as everything is politically correct. A prime example of Creator Breakdown.
I want to walk in the snow
And not leave a footprint
I want to walk in the snow
And not soil its purity
My vision's getting blurred
The hole in my life even stains the soil
My heart shrinks to barely a pulse
A tiny animal curled into a quarter circle
If you really care wash the feet of a beggar
I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
I wanna die, die in the summertime, I wanna die
in these plagued streets of pity you can buy anything
for 200 anyone can conceive a God on video
he's a boy, you want a girl so tear off his cock
tie his hair in bunches, fuck him, call him Rita if you want, if you want
- "Teenage Whore" by Hole
- Liz Phair's "Flower" isn't hateful, but it's pretty deliberately sexually explicit and not at all romantic. In it, she expresses her desire to "fuck you 'till your dick is blue." Ouch.
- The infamous "Frankie Teardrop" by Suicide. It's a straightforward tale about a young man who murders his wife and baby before committing suicide. Also, bloodcurdling screams. Set to minimalist, oppressive electronic music.
- Speaking of multiple murder, how about Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska"?
From the town of Lincoln, Nebraska with a sawed-off .410 on my lap
Through the badlands of Wyoming I killed everything in my path
I can't say that I'm sorry for the things that we done
At least for a little while sir me and her we had us some fun
- "Klapp Klapp" by Little Dragon resides at this level, as the lyrics depict suicide, though in a rather ambiguous manner. This becomes especially jarring if you consider that it's a quite bouncy trip-hop song.
Somebody found us dancing
You can turn off and feel better
When everything’s clear like cold weather
Go feel better, feel better
Somebody from my heart sang
I could turn off and never wake up
And everything’s clear, my breath made like-steam fake
- Monochromatic Stains by Dark Tranquillity. Depicts scene of murder, denial of murder, and possible psychosis.
This pile of ashes of a soul
Informant pokes abound
These sickly little fingers
Tread not the path of least restraint
Each piece of evidence a lie, a lie
The body, the face all items in place
I don't remember a thing
- Sound Horizon's Elysion album, in stark contrast to the light tone of the music itself. Subjects include decapitation, revenge killings, murder and implied suicide, incest, crucifixion, rape, yanderes, opening the gates of Abyss, waking up in Abyss, and a creepy masked man.
- Alice in Chains often gets up here on sheer hopelessness. Take the song Am I Inside. Its a clear 1 on the Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness , and yet the lyrics are so self hating and dark that it makes it up to a borderline 9. Most songs on Dirt and Alice In Chains are at this level.
- "Teen Idle" by Marina And The Diamonds :
Yeah I wish I'd been, wish I'd been a teen, teen idle
Wish I'd been a prom queen, fighting for the title
Instead of being sixteen and burning up a bible
The wasted years, the wasted youth
The pretty lies, the ugly truth
The day has come where I have died...
Only to find I've come alive!
- "Rapp Dirty" by Blowfly. The only reason it's not higher is it's extreme vulgarity is played entirely for comedy. For example:
While I was going around the corner, doing about 80
Looking between the thighs of some big pussy lady
While checking out the thighs of this fine ho
I could tell she had a lotta ass below
But stopped up ahead for a bite to eat
I said, "Hey bitch, give me some of this fine meat"
She said, "I got it here, so come on with it
But just make sure you got enough meat to get it"
I said, "My hands are large, and my prick is bigger
Just open up your eyes while I pull my trigger, yeah"
I grabbed the bitch by the hair and then headed for the room
She had a fine body, but a face like a coon
She sat on the bed and pulled off her clothes
As the funk from her pussy started fuckin' with my nose
Suddenly I find that it all was a waste
I kicked it with my feet and hit it with my hand
What I thought was a bitch was nothing but a man