Modern Day Scenario II
is a popular Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday
modification that brings the World War II
-era video game to the Turn of the Millennium
and the events of The War on Terror
. Currently in beta for Darkest Hour 1.03, it is one of the most extensive conversions of Hearts of Iron II
undertaken, with dozens of new countries, hundreds of new technologies and thousands of new events, ministers, graphics and models.
This Game Mod
provides examples of:
- Anonymous Ringer: Extremely averted. Every nation on Earth is present (aside from micronations like Liechtenstein and the Vatican), with numerous projects by fans and modders in order to attempt to make their ministerial cabinets, events and military leaders as accurate as possible
- Arab Spring: Through this isn't in the original mod for HOI 2 since it was released before 2011, the latest version of Darkest Hour contains some events related to the Middle East revolutions in Egypt, Libya and Syria. The original product itself had a fantasy scenario where radical Islamist groups(including Al-Quada in Egypt) seize power due to blowback against a hypothetical US attack on Iran in the mod itself.
- Artifact Title: A downplayed one — the startdate hasn't been changed since the original version, so the real world's modern day keeps getting farther and farther away from it.
- Aussies with Artillery
- Brits with Battleships
- Chinese with Chopper Support
- The European Union: One of the game's three alliances, though it was merged into NATO in 1.6. There are Cheatfiles that allow them to fully federalize as well
- Gauls with Grenades
- Grey and Grey Morality: Obviously, and that is all that will be said
- Israelis with Infrared Missiles
- Kaiju Defense Force
- Middle Eastern Coalition: The Islamic Alliance, a third alliance replacing the European Union (which in turn replaced the Comintern and will be partly merged with the Coalition of the Willing into NATO), which rather peculiarily seems to be led by the Shiite Iran and can consist of both Sunni and Shiite nations(The mod implies that it may be an inferred Enemy Mine against the US and Israel through).
- Mnogo Nukes
- Mythology Gag: One of Russia's options in response to Litivenko's whistleblowing is "It's probably just harmless talk," just like in the infamous White Lotus Rebellion event in Europa Universalis II.
- NATO (Replaced the Coalition of the Willing in 1.6, which in turn replaced the Allies)
- No Campaign for the Wicked (Regardless of your view on who is "the wicked", this trope will be averted, seeing as it is following the Hearts of Iron tradition of allowing players to take command of virtually any nation on Earth)
- Peace Through Superior Firepower
- Persians with Pistols
- Real Life Writes the Plot (Played with, while most events of the 21st century are accurately portrayed, it goes into alternate history with the Orange Revolution causing a Civil War in Ukraine and Romania going to war with Moldavia)
- Russians with Rusting Rockets
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (One of the game's three alliances, replacing the Axis)
- South Africans with Surface-to-Air Missiles
- Brits with Battleships
- Ultimate Defence of the Realm
- Tank Goodness
- The Ultimate Resistance
- The War on Terror (The game starts on 23 March 2003 with the US invasion of Iraq.)
- World War III (In this case, between the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and NATO, starting around 2008-9.)
- Turn of the Millennium (Though the game is planned to extend to the 2050s or so.)
- Yanks with Tanks