, or as known by her YouTube
name, MirandaSings08, are a bunch of So Bad, It's Good
singing videos created by a YouTube user Miranda. She claims to have been home-schooled her entire life and to live in Tacoma, Washington with her mother and uncle. She is known for her below-average abilities and above-average opinion of said abilities
, self-invoked Protection from Editors
, and a constant ring of extremely red lipstick. In addition to her music ("music") channel, she has a vlog
channel as well, though it hasn't been used in a while.
...Okay, you got us: she doesn't exist. "Miranda" is a pastiche of similarly untalented girls, created and portrayed by Colleen Ballinger. Ballinger posts, as herself, at a third channel, "PsychoSoprano
," where she occasionally does split-screen duets with Miranda. It's probably safe to assume that Ballinger is talented, given the depth of creativity in the "Miranda Sings" videos, but it's when the two are side-by-side that her genius becomes truly apparent; the two look, act and sing completely different.
This work contains examples of:
- Accent Upon The Wrong Syllable: Miranda has a tendency to put too much emphasis on letters in the middle of words ("Singer" becomes "Sing-G-er"), and most 'T' sounds ("Button" becomes "BuTTon", "GeT OuT", etc.). Taken in conjunction with her frequent Mondegreens and nasal voice, it can make her sound like she's from somewhere you've probably never heard of.
- Adorkable: Colleen. So. Very. Much.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Not so much Miranda as Colleen. Best example.
- Bad Bad Acting: Any time she does acting on her channel.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Oh boy.
- Catch Phrase: "Hey guys, it's me, Miranda..." Also "HATERS BACK OFF!!!"
- Character Tics: She has a few, most notably her eyebrow tic.
- Completely Missing the Point: Anyone who criticizes her bad singing, or as she calls them, her "haters."
- Don't Like Don't Watch: Miranda tells this to her haters in this video.
- Dirty Old Man: All we can assume of her never seen Uncle, considering he does her dance choreography, owns Kinky Cuffs, was Miranda's first kiss...
- Early Installment Weirdness: As evidenced by this video, the original Miranda bears no resemblance at all to the Miranda of today (EVEN the lisstick).
- Flanderization: Early videos like her "Free Voice Lesson" are more or less indistinguishable from a thousand Small Name, Big Ego personalities on Youtube. By her cover of "Starships" by Nicki Minaj, she's closer to a Tim & Eric character. Tropes Are Not Bad.
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot: At the end of most videos, she does "Fan and Hate Mail of the Day" where she reads positive and mean comments left on her videos.
- Freak Out: Happens on occasion.
- The Fundamentalist: She's very religious, and believes that people who watch The Hunger Games and Harry Potter are sinners who are going to hell. Also, any woman who dresses revealingly is "porn".
- Genki Girl: Miranda. Colleen is this IRL, as is her sister Rachel.
- The Ghost: In six years as of 2014, her Mother and Uncle have never appeared onscreen.
- Hates Being Touched: Miranda often tells people not to touch her, and even did so during a video about kissing.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Made of this trope.
- The Internet Is for Porn: In one vlog, she describes her first experience with "porn". It turns out, she has a very loose definition of "porn" that includes revealing outfits worn publicly by Miley Cyrus, and even women who wear revealing swimwear to the beach.
- Limited Wardrobe: Always wears plaid button-up shirts (Stolen from her Uncle) and bright-red lipstick (Stolen from her Mother). Anything more revealing is considered "Porn".
- Moral Guardians: Miranda herself is very prudish. She believes that anything remotely sexual is "porn" and inappropriate for anyone under 21.
- Muse Abuse: See Reality Subtext.
- Poe's Law: Especially early on, Miranda so uncannily evoked typical Attention Whore Youtube users most everyone thought she was serious. Some still do.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Miranda.
- Stalker with a Crush: Her preferred method of courtship.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Meat.
- Villainous Breakdown: Miranda's not much of a villain, per se, but how else could one describe this?
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Her idiosyncratic use of syllable stress and oft-mangled words can give this impression. It's taken Up to Eleven when she's upset; in the aforementioned Freak Out videos, she comes to sound almost Jamaican...
- Lampshaded here, where, despite her unusual accent, she insists that she is "Emerigan".
- Yandere: To Joey Graceffa.