Real Life, at least not without loads of hair gel. The minimum hair size of both tails combined must be at least the size of the girl's head. There can be many reasons for this, although the most common are either to make the pigtails clear even in long shots, or because of Rule of Cute. Quite often these pigtails have the hair in a spiral, which overlaps with Regal Ringlets. However, girls with Mega Twintails are not necessarily of high station. It is more of a compromise halfway between the proper aspect of the ringlets and girly of Girlish Pigtails, both in looks and in personality. Note that this trope is about the volume and complexity of the pigtails more than the length. While the two can overlap, merely having improbably long hair in pigtails, like Sailor Moon, Hatsune Miku, Ruri, or Hibiki falls under Rapunzel Hair. A Sub-Trope of Anime Hair, and Bigger Is Better. Compare Girlish Pigtails, '80s Hair, Giant Poofy Sleeves, Ojou Ringlets.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Vividred Operation, Vivid Yellow has Mega Twintails larger than her entire body. They actually look like a cape from some angles.
- Miki, and her android double in Sailor Victory have large swirling tails, the latter even able to turn them into high powered fans.
- Leenalee Lee of D.Gray-Man when she is caught by the recently arrived Road in the Rewinding Town arc. It's a part of a Go-Go Enslavement moment, as her captor also puts an Elegant Gothic Lolita gown on her just for the heck of it, and Lenalee's hair is normally in simple Girlish Pigtails.
- Sailor Moon:
- Chibi-Usa has similar hair to her mother, but instead of the pigtails being thin and ankle-length (and wouldn't qualify for this trope), they are poofy and shoulder-length. In her adult form as Black Lady, they're still big and poofy, but also extend all the way to her feet, whereas when aged up and not made into Black Lady her twintails are longer than usual but to a lesser degree.
- Big Bad Nehellenia wore these as a child.
- In Ladies Versus Butlers!, Sernia has these◊. They even spin when she gets angry.
- Kodomo No Jikan has some characters with it, like Rin. It's too thick to just be long pigtails. It's even lampshaded in some Omakes.
- Highschool of the Dead: Saya's pigtails are impressive in terms of sheer length and volume, with each individually being near equal the width of her head. Which is best seen here and here.
- Variable Geo: Because of how short she is, Manami's pigtails are actually bigger than her body. Both are long enough that they nearly touch the floor, and have enough volume that they look as if they'd weigh more than she does too.
- Sayaka Suzuki "No.6" in Pani Poni Dash!. Sometimes she is referred as "big ribbon" or "over-sized" due to her hairstyle - giant pigtails tied with two large white ribbons.
- In her human form, Flower Card in Cardcaptor Sakura is a young woman in a Pimped-Out Dress and who sports a rather cute and big pair of 'tails
- Tiara from Shamanic Princess has huge pigtails, contrasting with her rival and friend Lena's longer but much straighter and loose hair.
- Elizabeth "Lizzie" Middleford from Black Butler. Look at those things!◊ Also, as her hair is normally much straighter◊, she has to get them done with curlers.
- A couple of the Artificial Human girls in Xxx Holic have pigtails that are very poofy and nearly go down to their feet. Himawari's own pigtails aren't
- Mileina Vashti from Mobile Suit Gundam 00. Until she lets her hair down in The Movie.
- Princess Fine in Fushigiboshi No Futagohime has large swirling tails.
- Bleach: In the anime, when Kyouraku's zanpakutou Katen Kyoukatsu takes human form, his tachi's human form includes Mega Twintails.
- When the members of the Ouran High School Host Club try cross-dressing, the twins wear wigs with these.
- When young, Rosemarie from Claudine had huge pigtails that were bigger than her own head.
- Future Diary: 9th's first appearance in Episode 2. She later dismisses that hairstyle and changes her cute dress for her regular action outfit.
- Moegi of Naruto wears her hair in two poofy pigtails that stick straight out from her head.
- Etia from Il Sole penetra le Illusioni has a truly impressive pair. They look to be larger than she is.
- Fredrica from Coffin Princess Chaika has a fairly large pair when in her human form.
- Nui Harime of Kill la Kill has an enormous pair. They possess enough volume for her to be picked up by them and airlifted. When she's sent flying through a wall, her Impact Silhouette has pigtails, too.
- Par for course in Gonna be the Twin-Tail!!, but then again what would you expect for a series with twintails in its title?
- "Anchovy", the leader of Anzio Academy in Girls und Panzer has some epic drill twintails.
- Mami Tomoe◊ of Puella Magi Madoka Magica had her iconic haircut become a subject of massive memetic popularity. While relatively modest on its own, it's often exaggerated in parodies and homages to the character, like the above mentioned Vivid Yellow.
- Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX introduces Micha Jawkân, who has not only a huge volume of drills, her twintails also function as rocket engines!
Films — Animation
- Red Fraggle on Fraggle Rock. Each poofy globe is roughly the same size as her head.
- Soul Calibur III: Amy Sorel provides the page image, with her massive twin tailed Ojou Ringlets.
- Advanced V.G. As the runt of the group, Manami's pigtails are long enough that they nearly touch the floor, making them bigger than her body. And their sheer volume makes each of them look like they'd weigh more than she does.
- Skies of Arcadia: Legends: Aika's pigtails are often compared to Pippi Longstocking's, to the point of Marco referring to her as "Scarecrow Hair" — due to their size and the fact that they jut outward like a pair of handlebars. And when they first arrive in Yafutoma, one of the children of the village wonders what she eats "to make her hair do that".
- Luna Platz/Shirogane from Mega Man Star Force. Her boss form, Ophiucus Queen/Queen Ophiuca even uses them as weapons.
- Yuna from Mega Man Legends 2 has pigtails that are not only long, but also unfeasibly wide and flat.
- The archers◊ from Disgaea and other Nippon Ichi Strategy RPGs, at least from Disgaea 2 onward. Their hair was different in the first game.
- Yurika Kirishima from Project Justice has large swirling tails which rest on her shoulders. Along with the violin she carries, this makes her look like a proper rich girl.
- The female Ace Trainers in Pokémon Black and White.
- As does Gothitelle (they resemble four large black discs stuck to either side of its head).
- Mega Mawile has this effect with its two giant mouths extending from the back of its head. Each one of them is larger than Mawile's body◊.
- Yuni from Dance Dance Revolution; they're every bit as rich and showy as Yuni herself.
- Black Sister/Uni from Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 has these when she transforms.
- Ashley◊ in the WarioWare series.
- Female Inklings from Splatoon have two long and thick pigtails. Their size is justified, as they're actually tentacles that are some of the retained aspects of the Inklings' squid forms.
- MÚSECA Series Mascot Illil not only has ridiculously long twintails, she has them spiral around her arms.
- The second Tokimeki Memorial gives us Miyuki; they're also a pretty shade of purple.
- Shiina "Misha" Mikado in Katawa Shoujo is known for her huge pink twintails. In Shizune's route, it is revealed that she colors her hair, and she cuts her twintails off after Hisao and Shizune hook up. Her natural hair is light brown, actually; she took up this hairstyle after being rejected by Shizune.
- Dangan Ronpa:
- Amber in Matchu has gigantic blonde twintails that are both as tall and thick as she is.
- The "splash page" art for The Nostalgia Chick videos is often done by Andrew Dickman, and he draws her pigtails thick and large.