Mayu Shinjo (新條まゆ Shinjō Mayu, born January 26, 1973) is a Japanese manga artist. She debuted in 1994 in Shogakukan's Shōjo Comic with "Anata no Iro ni Somaritai". She continued writing for Shogakukan until 2007, with her works appearing in both Shōjo Comic and their other magazine Cheese!.
Mrs. Shinjo left the company to go freelance citing a dispute over working conditions and abusive treatment by her editor. How bad was that? In her blog, she noted that not only she was subjected to very abusive and restrictive work conditions (limited sleep hours, being forced to work many extra hours without any extra pay, constant editor pressure, being forced to change her storylines, etc.), but also that though she was the actual creator of her manga titles, she was one of the last to know about any adaptation plans for her series
, even learning about some (like Sensual Phrase
) through TV channel websites instead of her abusive editors. When she decided to leave, one editor threatened to take all of her earlier series out of print, but Shinjo contacted a lawyer and the threat was never carried out.
Mrs. Shinjo's manga, as mentioned, qualify in the shoujo spectrum. She draws lots of bishonen, gives her male leads very sex-driven and forceful personalities and lots of snarky comments about everything
, while making her female leads quite Hollywood Homely
(until it's time to clean up
) and in constant verge of being corrupted.
Her stories tend to go for lots
of emotional stuff, if not downright Melodrama
, as well as being Hotter and Sexier
than your average shoujo, featuring many sex scenes among her male and female leads.
Oh, and it looks like she's good friends with Tite Kubo
, judging by their twitter exchanges. Be afraid. Be VERY, VERY afraid.
Some of her works include:
Tropes common across most of Mayu Shinjo's works:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: The reason most of her stories exist.
- All Men Are Perverts
- All Women Are Lustful <- -> All Women Are Prudes: Zigzagged all around.
- A Match Made in Stockholm: Their male and female leads
- Bastard Boyfriend: Oooh boy, she's famous for this. They mostly tend to be Conflicted types: huge bastards to pretty much everyone, as well as having very Dark And Troubled Pasts.
- Blackmail: Someone's gonna get extortioned here.
- Bishōnen: Everyone male, even the Hollywood Homely ones.
- Break the Cutie: A given, specially in regards to the female characters. Kurumi and Aine are the ones who get it the worst.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Oh, my. It's even deliberately invoked in Haou Airen by Reilan. She doesn't live to see the results.
- Doujinshi: She released some Tiger & Bunny doujins a while ago, doubing as her first foray (as far as we know) into Yaoi. (The main couple is Barnaby/Koutetsu, if you wonder)
- Hotter and Sexier: More than the average shoujo. Not that surprising if you consider she published them in Shoujo Comic which tends to hosts more steamy (and often rape-y) shoujo manga than the standard shoujo magazines.
- Karma Houdini: Most of the male leads never get their comeuppance, but their Bishōnen looks, who can blame them? The closest to an aversion is Haou Airen, where Hakuron gets a mix of Redemption Equals Death and Heel Face Door Slam.
- Never Trust Viz: Ai Ore Love Me was advertised by Viz as a wacky crossdressing romantic comedy, leaving out all the rapey overtones and Values Dissonance.
- No Export for You: There's a reason why Akuma Na Eros, Love Celeb and Haou Airen will never get officially released in the US.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Chances are, someone will lose their memories at some point.
- Lighter and Softer: Ai Ore Love Me, enough so to get an official English release. It's still a fairly... polemic series.
- Love Martyr: Whenever the female leads fall for their boyfriends, expect this to happen.
- Off Model: Character's faces tend to look off when drawn from certain angles.
- Only Six Faces: Satan from Akuma Na Eros is simply Sakuya from 'Sensual Phrase'' with longer hair and horns, and they both look like Hakuron from Haou Airen. Don't forget that Kurumi is basically Aine with Girlish Pigtails and Miu is Aine with a headband and a sailor uniform.
- Ordinary High School Student: The majority of her female leads start as this. They obviously don't stay that way.
- Psycho Lesbian: One appears in Ai Ore Love Me and tries to rape Mizuki.
- Melodrama: The bread and butter of her stories.
- Stealth Parody: Some theorize her works as being this for Shoujo manga as a whole.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Her male leads tend to be this.
- Trauma Conga Line: Those poor, poor girls...
- Trolling Creator: Seems obvious by now. It helps that she's friends with Tite Kubo.
- Villain Protagonist: The male leads, with all their rape and abuse, count count as this.
- Yandere/Crazy Jealous Guy: ... Need to ask?